The NO Four Play Drive = Foot off the gas

I saw it posted on gameday by someone that we switched our play and went limp by putting in a full reserve D line in after we went up 26-10. I've seen threads that looked at our personnel and play calling after the 4 play drive to suggest that maybe we didn't play conservatively and didn't take our foot off the gas. I think that is analysis after the pivotal drive of the game.

After looking at the game today it's hard to debate it, we had 56, 93, 94, 91, and 92 on the D line for the first play of NO's four play lightning strike drive.

That is Quenton Bell, Timmy Horne, Anthony Rush, Matt Dickerson, and Adetokunbo Ogundeji.

I don't see Anthony Rush on the second play, but still Bell, Horne, Dickerson, and Ogundeje.

NO was playing up tempo and I think we played the same personnel group on the third play.

Three plays and a just a few ticks of the clock and NO was at the ATL 4 yard line where we finally made substitutions, but it was too late. Momentum had swung NO's way and the rest is history.

How is that playing aggressively and NOT taking the foot off the pedal? NO saw our personnel grouping and seized the opportunity plain and simple.

And I don't have anything against any of these players, they just aren't the group who had success bringing pressure on Jameis up to that point. We got what was perceived as a safe lead and we put in our reserve DL on NO's subsequent possession.

Edited by nutsandbolts

7 minutes ago, Diesel_Bird said:

I mean, only explanation is first group was gassed? Idk. Maybe we should have used timeouts. But as soon as I saw that much yardage in that short amount of time, I knew game was over. I don’t think anyone in the league is scared of that front 4 though 

Maybe, but that was just after we had a fairly lengthy possession and a score and a kickoff, etc.

Like I said, I saw someone mention it last Sunday in here and never saw any subsequent discussion about it.

I still question not going for 2 at 22-10 too. I don't get kicking an extra point there.

Actually, there is a lot I question because we played so well and above expectations and yet somehow let them back into the game. I think the four play drive was the turning point of the game though. It was almost as effective as a KO return for a TD.

18 minutes ago, nutsandbolts said:

Maybe, but that was just after we had a fairly lengthy possession and a score and a kickoff, etc.

Like I said, I saw someone mention it last Sunday in here and never saw any subsequent discussion about it.

I still question not going for 2 at 22-10 too. I don't get kicking an extra point there.

Actually, there is a lot I question because we played so well and above expectations and yet somehow let them back into the game. I think the four play drive was the turning point of the game though. It was almost as effective as a KO return for a TD.

That’s a fair question. I’ve only watched live and a few of the posters here’s breakdowns. 

Just now, Diesel_Bird said:

That’s a fair question. I’ve only watched live and a few of the posters here’s breakdowns. 

I was down there with you. I decided to look at my DVR of the game today after watching Georgia dominate and to answer the question about this after it lingered in my mind all week. I think it's fair to say we took our foot off the gas on that drive. We certainly can't say we "stayed aggressive".

5 hours ago, nutsandbolts said:

I saw it posted on gameday by someone that we switched our play and went limp by putting in a full reserve D line in after we went up 26-10. I've seen threads that looked at our personnel and play calling after the 4 play drive to suggest that maybe we didn't play conservatively and didn't take our foot off the gas. I think that is analysis after the pivotal drive of the game.

After looking at the game today it's hard to debate it, we had 56, 93, 94, 91, and 92 on the D line for the first play of NO's four play lightning strike drive.

That is Quenton Bell, Timmy Horne, Anthony Rush, Matt Dickerson, and Adetokunbo Ogundeji.

I don't see Anthony Rush on the second play, but still Bell, Horne, Dickerson, and Ogundeje.

NO was playing up tempo and I think we played the same personnel group on the third play.

Three plays and a just a few ticks of the clock and NO was at the ATL 4 yard line where we finally made substitutions, but it was too late. Momentum had swung NO's way and the rest is history.

How is that playing aggressively and NOT taking the foot off the pedal? NO saw our personnel grouping and seized the opportunity plain and simple.

And I don't have anything against any of these players, they just aren't the group who had success bringing pressure on Jameis up to that point. We got what was perceived as a safe lead and we put in our reserve DL on NO's subsequent possession.

I can tell yall don't look as hard as you say for answers before saying you reviewed everything possible.

Peas in the only press conference he has done since that game, went on in detail about that drive and stated that his gameplan was to give the primary rushers a chance to have breath so they could have energy for the second half of that drive.

He had in that rotation since the saints were pinned back and then suddenly they exploded downfield and destroyed all his plans and strategy since it took 3 no huddle plays basically.

It was a terrible mistake that he didn't expect. He thought he would have more plays for the defense that drive to defend than 3 especially with the coverage we were playing (backed off) but unfortunately execution of bend don't break was poor and we basically got caught with our pants down.

This is right on the money.  I remember specifically the guys we ran in that 4th quarter.  Why are we running a heavy run d line when they are obviously passing?  AK47 and Carter need to be out there at all times.  I will never understand this wack *** defense.  Peas cares more about a guy setting the edge then causing pressure.  Setting the edge is great on run downs.  But we need guys that want to get to the QB. 

42 minutes ago, Komic said:

I can tell yall don't look as hard as you say for answers before saying you reviewed everything possible.

I appreciate the comment, but where did I say I reviewed everything possible? Anyway, would you call it "aggressive" to have the backups in then? It isn't like we just had a three and out and the defense didn't get to rest. Cue it up and watch it yourself if you can.

7 minutes ago, nutsandbolts said:

I appreciate the comment, but where did I say I reviewed everything possible? Anyway, would you call it "aggressive" to have the backups in then? It isn't like we just had a three and out and the defense didn't get to rest. Cue it up and watch it yourself if you can.

My bad, as soon as I sent I felt like I might come off a way. Didn't mean to come at you like that, was more basing in all the replies too.

But yea Pees talked about this and is the best source for answers. Admits mistakes and hopefully corrects them in the future.

I'm not saying anything was or wasn't aggressive. I just gave you the exact reason and logic those players were in straight from the horses mouth. My opinion is irrelevant

Just now, Komic said:

My bad, as soon as I sent I felt like I might come off a way. Didn't mean to come at you like that, was more basing in all the replies too.

But yea Pees talked about this and is the best source for answers. Admits mistakes and hopefully corrects them in the future.

I'm not saying anything was or wasn't aggressive. I just gave you the exact reason and logic those players were in straight from the horses mouth. My opinion is irrelevant

Yeah, I heard his presser and the "rotations" were discussed. I liked when he said "we let them off the hook", doing his best Denny Green I guess. So I think it is one of those things where he WOULD NOT do the same thing again as in the rotation and maybe it was ill advised given that they came out firing and not running. I think at that point in the game, thinking they might run was a mis-calculation.

That game was in the bag and it's hard to ever get it back or make it not count. It was a divisional game and could be the difference between going to the playoffs or not. On to tomorrow though and hopefully we will see the same kind of play again because it sure looked authentic to me.

Just now, nutsandbolts said:

Yeah, I heard his presser and the "rotations" were discussed. I liked when he said "we let them off the hook", doing his best Denny Green I guess. So I think it is one of those things where he WOULD NOT do the same thing again as in the rotation and maybe it was ill advised given that they came out firing and not running. I think at that point in the game, thinking they might run was a mis-calculation.

That game was in the bag and it's hard to ever get it back or make it not count. It was a divisional game and could be the difference between going to the playoffs or not. On to tomorrow though and hopefully we will see the same kind of play again because it sure looked authentic to me.

Yea final drives aside, those first 3 quarters is the best falcons defense I have seen in years. Gonna trust that Pees resume and experience will get it corrected fast then we can see something potentially special being built

6 hours ago, Komic said:

Peas in the only press conference he has done since that game, went on in detail about that drive and stated that his gameplan was to give the primary rushers a chance to have breath so they could have energy for the second half of that drive.

He had in that rotation since the saints were pinned back and then suddenly they exploded downfield and destroyed all his plans and strategy since it took 3 no huddle plays basically.

It was a terrible mistake that he didn't expect. He thought he would have more plays for the defense that drive to defend than 3 especially with the coverage we were playing (backed off) but unfortunately execution of bend don't break was poor and we basically got caught with our pants down.

Honestly, that makes me feel better. If our primary rushers were in the game and we ended up giving up those plays I would have wondered WTH was going on because they’d been so dominant prior to that 4th quarter. Initially I thought they started playing Prevent.

Taking out our starters was a strategic mistake but it’s an issue that can easily be solved.. hence them promoting Abdullah Anderson from the practice squad. He’ll be another good rotational piece throughout the game and even if he doesn’t play as well as he did in the preseason we know we’ll see flashes of that kind of play.

Tweaking the rotation will help avoid the type of breakdown we saw in that game. Like I said before we’ll be better from that loss, especially as it pertains to the situational aspect of it. 

4 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

A lot of our fanbase doesn't understand that playing badly isn't the same as taking your foot off the gas.

This. The saints, on paper, are probably the most talented roster in the NFC south. What they now lack is quality coaching. They're coaches were pretty terrible in that game, until the 4th.

3 minutes ago, nutsandbolts said:

Do you think not having key starters in is "playing badly"? Dang, read the thread and go look at the film.

Rotations happen all the time for very good reasons. And then NO trapped us in the personnel. Not everything's a big conspiracy or our coaches making a giant blunder. When our DL is as thin as it is, there will be lots of plays where sub par players are in the game.