Mariota Press Conference - on not sliding "that's the nature of the beast"

Komic

Marcus has earned the "it's the same ole Marcus" comments. We have a defense too that suddenly fell asleep, so it isn't all on Marcus, but again, he passed up on the opportunity to win the game himself and shut up the doubters. I think there is something there to be re-learned that he isn't owning. He is likely an injury or  key fumble on an extra effort play away from us giving Desmond Ridder a chance to change things up. He needs to get this and CHANGE something. It isn't just the nature of the beast.

10 minutes ago, nutsandbolts said:

Marcus has earned the "it's the same ole Marcus" comments. We have a defense too that suddenly fell asleep, so it isn't all on Marcus, but again, he passed up on the opportunity to win the game himself and shut up the doubters. I think there is something there to be re-learned that he isn't owning. He is likely an injury or  key fumble on an extra effort play away from us giving Desmond Ridder a chance to change things up. He needs to get this and CHANGE something. It isn't just the nature of the beast.

The real nature of the beast is starting the next man up when the starting QB eventually concusses himself pretending to be a RB because he is "competitive" and thinks "sliding can sometimes get you hit worse"

7 minutes ago, Komic said:

The real nature of the beast is starting the next man up when the starting QB eventually concusses himself pretending to be a RB because he is "competitive" and thinks "sliding can sometimes get you hit worse"

Matt Ryan was the iron man. Anyone waiting behind him to be taken out because of injury was waiting a long long time. Matt was an expert at going down without injury, even though he took his fair share of hard licks. There is something for MM to observe here. If we are better with him then realize that and adjust your play accordingly.

20 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

the nature of the beast will be when Aaron Donald rag dolls him into a comatose state after he tried to get a few extra yards this weekend.

BE SMARTER MM

Careful. A very similar prediction about Aaron Donald and Matt Ryan behind our porous OL got me a point for spamming. People complained that I was wishing injury on our QB was the explanation. 

1 hour ago, nutsandbolts said:

I agree with you, but 1 game doesn't shut up the doubters or should not rather. One year maybe, one game no chance. Nonetheless, we got exactly what some believed because its the same player just a different uniform. But GD did he not look good in those non-contact camp plays. 

Single read and run.

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

Remember the guy that used to post here pretending to be Marcus Vick?  "Hey y'all dis Marcus". I'm getting similar vibes here.  Marcus same old same old.

You mean that wasn’t the real Marcus Vick?!  Next thing you’ll be trying to tell me Emmitt Smith is a parody account, too. 

"I'm not going to take away the competitiveness" 

So he thinks sliding does that? I get that he's been this way for his entire football life but you gotta be smart. This gung ho attitude is holding him back and he's too stubborn to see and change it. Being smart and being competitive are not mutually exclusive. This guy......

there are so many things he said in the first few minutes that rub me the wrong way:

" finding a happy medium, really understanding the situation". He clearly didn't know the situation on the fumble after he got the 1st. Hes a veteran now, when does he start understanding the situation?

" you learn, you live and you grow". So what should he learn after week 1? BALL SECURITY. Don't be playing hero ball. But judging from what he said, he's not going to change or grow. He'll continue to be a rb playing qb. 

" I really want to be going out there and not worrying about anything. " Awesome to hear from your starting QB, not wanting to worry about things when it comes to sliding/not sliding. Why not slide and not worry about getting your head blown off and losing the ball?

".....you end up taking a worse hit than maybe if you just played the play." Sliding is obviously the safer play to make when running the ball. It reduces risk of fumbling, reduces the risk to injury. The game is designed now to protect QBs. Running head first takes that away. 

He also doesnt even seem apologetic to the fans/team mates for the fumbles. Obviously this is just one press conference and who knows what he said after the game behind closed doors but come on. I stopped watching after a few minutes so maybe he did say something along those lines later.....

I'm just going to have to accept the fact that hes not going to change and he will continue to fumble and probably lose games because of it. Hope to see Ridder sooner rather than later now.

......I'm still mad about week 1, does it show? 😄

6 hours ago, Komic said:

He said more about it than that but that bothered me so I put it in the title

It only took one game for Mariota to remind us all that he is what he has always been. A below average QB with some running chops.. He will never be the answer and honestly I think the sooner he is riding the bench the better. Ridder at the very least is young and can still improve and I don't think he will reach his top potential by learning any of Mariota's bad habits..  I mean, What could Mariota Possibly teach him at this point? How to do just enough to call himself a QB? 

I am all for a running QB but dang....  Passing game will be dead with this tool in the box.. UGH!

CMP%
YDS
TD
INT
Rating

Get ready for a lot of this if we keep playing Mariota. Surprisingly that is about all he has to offer and has been since 2016.

GO FALCONS!

Marcus doesn't get it. The main thing a QB has to do is to balance risk and reward. If you go too hard for a play, you can lose the game -- so the single most important thing an NFL QB has to learn is not to do that.

Throw the ball away, take a sack, take the safe option and live to fight another play.

If you can't bring yourself to do it, you do more harm than good to your team and you won't last long as a starter. And that's been and will continue to be the story of Mariota. He has the tools to be a good starter -- but he won't get there.

Thankfully, he's just a bridge for us, and he's good enough for that.

4 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

As a QB you slide when a defender gets close and avoid the big hit unless a first down or touchdown depends on it.

Why risk injury or fumbling trying to be "competitive" for a few more yards? 

Didn’t he say post game he thought he needed more for the first down, but he was wrong and should have went down? that said 2 fumbles at terrible times (in the red zone and on a critical 3rd and 1) are unacceptable and I wouldn’t cry if they turned to Ridder.

I wonder how long MMs leash is? We go 0-5 and MM keeps playing similar does he get the hook? Or is coach gonna run with MM all season barring injury because he doesn’t feel Ridder is ready yet?

48 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Didn’t he say post game he thought he needed more for the first down, but he was wrong and should have went down? that said 2 fumbles at terrible times (in the red zone and on a critical 3rd and 1) are unacceptable and I wouldn’t cry if they turned to Ridder.

I wonder how long MMs leash is? We go 0-5 and MM keeps playing similar does he get the hook? Or is coach gonna run with MM all season barring injury because he doesn’t feel Ridder is ready yet?

Good question. Hopefully soon.