Just Took A Look At The All-22 - Final 2 Saint Drives

Final Saint drive. Saints decide to let their nuts hand.  Straight verticals, all-go special, let's take a shot and see what happens.  Looks like we answered with Cover-5 (in Saban-Belichick terminology), or 2 Man Under to us mere mortals.  Everything is cyclical in the NFL, and there was a time when 2 Man was THE call in the NFL, so once again, I don't have a problem with DP's call.

What I don't like, just a little critique is we got so much space at the bottom of the screen and AJ in press to the top.  I'm not sure if that's a scheme deal, some sort of pre snap disguise, because usually when the QB see one corner pressed and the other off, that's a hint he's getting split field coverage.  

I don't wanna go on too long about this play, but it's another one that leave me a little confused because the corner at the bottom of the screen is obviously playing something else and it ain't 2 man.  Everyone is playing 2 man, and he looks like he's expecting zone.  If this is another communication issue, then WTH.  At any rate, the game felt loss right here.  We just gave them this.  But again, this hammers home the point that this is a team game.  One man on a different sheet of music can be the difference.

7Z0i6h.gif

You ever play Madden and you get to the point in the game where you feel like you're about to lose so you just say **** it, and just start bringing everybody... well that was Dean Pees right here. 😆. It was ballgame from here.

aAZitW.gif

18 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I didn’t even read it and I gave it a trophy. That’s how much I respect his opinion lol

Just for that, I'm going to give you one back.😁

12 minutes ago, Norwood all the way! said:

I'm no where near your level of play diagnosing but to me, on the first play, Winston looks like he could have thrown it to anyone. They were all that open.

Exactly.  I knew we were in trouble them.  Dean Pees loves some Cover-2 when it gets tight, and smash is the prefect call against it.  

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

At any rate, everyone is doing their job except for the slot corner to the bottom of the screen.  Looks like he thought it was cover-3 or something because he leaves his man to take away the dig, and his man just sits it down in the middle of the field.

This was the biggest turning point to me, just looked like they didnt know what was happening. Coupled with hurry up a time out was needed IMO.

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Final Saint drive. Saints decide to let their nuts hand.  Straight verticals, all-go special, let's take a shot and see what happens.  Looks like we answered with Cover-5 (in Saban-Belichick terminology), or 2 Man Under to us mere mortals.  Everything is cyclical in the NFL, and there was a time when 2 Man was THE call in the NFL, so once again, I don't have a problem with DP's call.

What I don't like, just a little critique is we got so much space at the bottom of the screen and AJ in press to the top.  I'm not sure if that's a scheme deal, some sort of pre snap disguise, because usually when the QB see one corner pressed and the other off, that's a hint he's getting split field coverage.  

I don't wanna go on too long about this play, but it's another one that leave me a little confused because the corner at the bottom of the screen is obviously playing something else and it ain't 2 man.  Everyone is playing 2 man, and he looks like he's expecting zone.  If this is another communication issue, then WTH.  At any rate, the game felt loss right here.  We just gave them this.  But again, this hammers home the point that this is a team game.  One man on a different sheet of music can be the difference.

7Z0i6h.gif

You ever play Madden and you get to the point in the game where you feel like you're about to lose so you just say **** it, and just start bringing everybody... well that was Dean Pees right here. 😆. It was ballgame from here.

aAZitW.gif

So the corner at the bottom of the scene in the first clip, that's 2x All Pro Casey Hayward. Hopefully we get better play out of him moving forward 

Also, it's the first game of the season and we have a lot of new moving parts.  I think Heyward was singled out for one error, and it's his first season in this scheme.  We overhauled the LB corps, both edge rushers, etc.  A lot of these guys are gelling and getting the scheme down.  But a few are still learning.

We also have two new starting safeties, and while I understand they were both in the system last season, they're also both brand new as starters, and playing every down is different in terms of the toll it takes on a player.  After reading through this, I do have some hope those first 3 quarters weren't a complete fluke and we'll be able to put it together going forward.  And if this defense can look like that? We've got a shot to win some games.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Also, it's the first game of the season and we have a lot of new moving parts.  I think Heyward was singled out for one error, and it's his first season in this scheme.  We overhauled the LB corps, both edge rushers, etc.  A lot of these guys are gelling and getting the scheme down.  But a few are still learning.

We also have two new starting safeties, and while I understand they were both in the system last season, they're also both brand new as starters, and playing every down is different in terms of the toll it takes on a player.  After reading through this, I do have some hope those first 3 quarters weren't a complete fluke and we'll be able to put it together going forward.  And if this defense can look like that? We've got a shot to win some games.

Your post made me realize I'm being unfair to Heyward. I shouldn't have singled him out on that one play. A bunch of players also made mistakes. I should have mentioned them too. I'm just frustrated with seeing them same problems rear their head even when the Falcons have new players. 

Thank you for breaking it down, as always PMF. Been saying Pees didn't go conservative and we were mixing it up but some folks love to cling to the "prevent" narrative and whatever else is easy to conceptualize as a reason for pass plays succeeding in succession.

**** sucks, but it's on the players, and soooooo much is fixable.

25 minutes ago, wnyfalconfan said:

Your post made me realize I'm being unfair to Heyward. I shouldn't have singled him out on that one play. A bunch of players also made mistakes. I should have mentioned them too. I'm just frustrated with seeing them same problems rear their head even when the Falcons have new players. 

I didn’t mean that you did. I was just noting that @PeytonMannings Foreheadindicated him missing an assignment. 

I think it’s a good thing. It means he should get better. I can deal with mental mistakes early. It’s the “he can’t cover anyone” or “Pees is calling a high school defense” stuff that would concern me. 

2 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

No excuse to not know what to do. Who do we blame? Players? Coaches? Both?

This is one of those where everyone's got to own a piece.  But like @JDaveG pointed out, there a lot of moving parts, it's the first game of the season.  Nobody's on their A game yet.  

I don't wanna be like these games don't count, the first month of the season has to be looked at in context.  September is the great fooler month.  Teams get off to hot starts and are nowhere to be found at the end of the season ... anyone remember Carolina starting 3-1 last year?  Others start slow and get it going late.  

So we'll see.

38 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Thank you for breaking it down, as always PMF. Been saying Pees didn't go conservative and we were mixing it up but some folks love to cling to the "prevent" narrative and whatever else is easy to conceptualize as a reason for pass plays succeeding in succession.

**** sucks, but it's on the players, and soooooo much is fixable.

Absolutely.  It's like board tradition.  Every time a team comes back it's because we went prevent.  I gotta admit I fell into that trap this time, though. 😆  Seeing that Tampa-2  on that second to last drive and all that wide open space did something to me.  

I'm glad a got to look at the film to calm me down.  I see what DP was trying to do.

21 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Absolutely.  It's like board tradition.  Every time a team comes back it's because we went prevent.  I gotta admit I fell into that trap this time, though. 😆  Seeing that Tampa-2  on that second to last drive and all that wide open space did something to me.  

I'm glad a got to look at the film to calm me down.  I see what DP was trying to do.

But why would DP 'try to do' something other than what had worked all game? It may not be 'prevent' technically but doesn't it basically accomplish the same thing? A comeback for another loss?

Just now, fuego said:

But why would DP 'try to do' something other than what had worked all game? It may not be 'prevent' technically but doesn't it basically accomplish the same thing? A comeback for another loss?

He didn’t stay in that soft 2. He wasn’t stubborn about that part. He went back to mixing the coverages, dialing up the pressures. He just couldn’t stop the avalanche.

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

He didn’t stay in that soft 2. He wasn’t stubborn about that part. He went back to mixing the coverages, dialing up the pressures. He just couldn’t stop the avalanche.

But why was it an avalanche all of a sudden if it wasn't how the D was being called?