Firkser promoted to the active 53

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/2022-atlanta-falcons-rams-anthony-firkser-nfl-week-2

Falcons add veteran tight end to active roster

Anthony Firkser was promoted to the 53-man roster after playing Saints as a practice-squad elevation

The Falcons have signed veteran tight end Anthony Firkser to the 53-man roster, the team announced on Tuesday.

Firkser has been with the Falcons since this offseason, after signing a one-year with the team this offseason. He was a surprise cut when the original 53-man roster was unveiled but was signed to the practice squad shortly after.

In an example of roster fluidity frequently discussed by Terry Fontenot and Arthur Smith, Firkser played Week 1 and a standard practice squad elevation and then signed to the active roster two days later.

FIrkser has plenty of experience in the NFL and with Smith after their time together in Tennessee. Firkser figures to be a factor in the Falcons offense as we move forward. Firkser is the fourth tight end on the roster alongside Kyle Pitts, Parker Hesse and Feleipe Franks.

Pitts and Hesse played a ton, Firkser played three offensive snaps and Franks didn't play.

There is no corresponding move to the Firkser promotion, as the roster was at 52 after releasing defensive tackle Abdullah Anderson – he's now on the practice squad -- on Saturday.

Smith likes to use multiple tight ends in his offense, often at the same time, so adding another one makes sense moving forward.

In other news, the Falcons have signed cornerback Dylan Mabin to the practice squad. He has played games for the Raiders and Vikings but spent most of his career on practice squads.

2 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I'm really starting to question Franks being on the 53. Would have been nice to have had the rookie RB available last game.

Yeah, I don't get it. Have 2 active tight ends that combined for 3 snaps. If they fear Franks would get stolen from the practice squad as either a qb or TE, they are very much mistaken. 

Just now, Geneaut said:

I'm sure that is part of it but he could do that from the PS.

That sounds good on the surface and I don’t disagree but what happens if Ridder faces an injury in the same game? Despite the opinions that the team flat out sucks, they can’t just lay down and throw another skill player back there

7 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

When Mariota gets himself injured, it will all make sense. Won’t be popular but he’s going to have to serve as the #3 QB

When and if that happens, then we can have Franks on the active roster the following game. The chances of both MM and Ridder getting injured to the point where we need Frank's as our QB is extremely low. Plus at that point, we've lost. 

Have him inactive so we can get someone else on the field that can provide something rather than saving it for a scenario teams almost never see. 

Edited by Norwood all the way!

1 minute ago, Tribal Chief said:

That sounds good on the surface and I don’t disagree but what happens if Ridder faces an injury in the same game? Despite the opinions that the team flat out sucks, they can’t just lay down and throw another skill player back there

It's a definite gamble, but look what happened to our RB rotation when Williams got dinged up. Suddenly we have CP having to take the bulk of the carries, and that's just not a good plan for CPs long term effectiveness.

Maybe the issue is 6 WRs :)

9 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

When Mariota gets himself injured, it will all make sense. Won’t be popular but he’s going to have to serve as the #3 QB

It won't be popular because he's a terrible quarterback.

The way that the quarterback and running back positions have been handled this off season leaves a lot to be desired.

2 minutes ago, Norwood all the way! said:

When and if that happens, then we can have Franks on the active roster the following game. The chances of both MM and Ridder getting injured to the point where we need Frank's as our QB is extremely low. Plus at that point, we've lost. 

Have him inactive so we can get someone else on the field that can provide something rather than saving it for a scenario teams almost never see. 

See the post above. End of the day, what can ya do

Just now, falconsd56 said:

It won't be popular because he's a terrible quarterback.

The way that the quarterback and running back positions have been handled this off season leaves a lot to be desired.

What can ya do? He’s a member of the roster despite how y’all feel about him 😂 

2 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

It's a definite gamble, but look what happened to our RB rotation when Williams got dinged up. Suddenly we have CP having to take the bulk of the carries, and that's just not a good plan for CPs long term effectiveness.

Maybe the issue is 6 WRs :)

Yeah, same thing could have happened to Allgeier too 😂. It’s a part of coaching man. Tough decisions. Easy decisions in hindsight and on the message board. But it’s a decision every coach has to make that sometimes bites them. 

5 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

Zero reason to blow good money on a 3rd string qb.

I get why he's on the 53.

We should at least have a developmental quarterback on the PS.

I know people would consider Franks that but if he's taking snap to other positions and listed as another position then he's not a quarterback.

The fact that we don't at least have somebody else who is at least semi accurate as a passer is not a good look for this administration.

4 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Frank's as a TE is one of the issues 

I actually enjoyed watching him play TE in training camp, but if he's a TE 'project' he shouldn't be on the 53. He's athletic enough that I get keeping him, but if he's not ready to get snaps at TE in a real game he's burning a roster spot better used for someone else.

4 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

We should at least have a developmental quarterback on the PS.

I know people would consider Franks that but if he's taking snap to other positions and listed as another position then he's not a quarterback.

The fact that we don't at least have somebody else who is at least semi accurate as a passer is not a good look for this administration.

It's not a good look because we don't have a token qb that will never see the field?

At least Franks can have some use.

Franks is the least of concerns in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Geneaut said:

I actually enjoyed watching him play TE in training camp, but if he's a TE 'project' he shouldn't be on the 53. He's athletic enough that I get keeping him, but if he's not ready to get snaps at TE in a real game he's burning a roster spot better used for someone else.

Based on Sunday, I don’t even know if we can say if he’s not ready(I’m being sarcastic in case someone is waiting to blow up my notifications)to take snaps or not because it’s clear that scheming players open is tougher than Smith’s rep says. Hesse and Smith got more red zone targets than the big names 

5 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

Yeah, same thing could have happened to Allgeier too 😂. It’s a part of coaching man. Tough decisions. Easy decisions in hindsight and on the message board. But it’s a decision every coach has to make that sometimes bites them. 

True, but when D. Williams got hurt that basically left CP and Avery to take all the RB snaps. One of those guys basically had to be on the field for every offensive snap, unless we have some 1 RB sets for the FB Smith ... I didn't get to watch the replay yet to see if we did that at any point. 

One way or the other our roster is lopsided and needs a tweak. It didn't cost us the game by any fashion, but it's something to look into.