Jump to content

Damien Williams - Can we talk about this?


Recommended Posts

I'll use this as an easy hook for the discussion: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/falcons-damien-williams-sidesteps-injury-in-week-1/

"Williams rushed twice for two yards during Sunday's 27-26 loss to the Saints.

...

"... as long as Allgeier is deemed not ready for game days, Williams -- barring a more serious injury -- figures to have the backup role locked down."

Damien Williams is a head scratcher to me. While CP handled the load yesterday, there were more than a few times we could have used any of Allgeier, Ollison, or Huntley to bang the line. Shoot, even Avery Williams had 2 rushes for 7 yards and another pass reception for 8. 

I understand Damien was injured on the first play of the second possession, but how do you basically come to the Saints game without any kind of backup for CP?

We didn't get to see Damien in the pre-season, we didn't get to see him yesterday either. When are we going to see what he has to offer since he is taking up a job where we had three head knockers fighting it out for one position in the last pre-season game?

I'm a fan of Franks and the "experiment", but he was a no-show yesterday too.

I hope to see better active roster decisions next week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got this. 
 

Damien Williams was good up through 2019. Today is 2022. He was cut by his last 2 teams because he isn’t good anymore. The career arc of an NFL running back is a flash in the pan. Damien Williams is this year’s Mike Davis. TF and AS thought he looked good on film but it was old Chiefs film. He was good. Then he wasn’t good. Then we signed him dirt cheap. 
 

Solved. You can now close the thread. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, nutsandbolts said:

I'll use this as an easy hook for the discussion: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/falcons-damien-williams-sidesteps-injury-in-week-1/

"Williams rushed twice for two yards during Sunday's 27-26 loss to the Saints.

...

"... as long as Allgeier is deemed not ready for game days, Williams -- barring a more serious injury -- figures to have the backup role locked down."

Damien Williams is a head scratcher to me. While CP handled the load yesterday, there were more than a few times we could have used any of Allgeier, Ollison, or Huntley to bang the line. Shoot, even Avery Williams had 2 rushes for 7 yards and another pass reception for 8. 

I understand Damien was injured on the first play of the second possession, but how do you basically come to the Saints game without any kind of backup for CP?

We didn't get to see Damien in the pre-season, we didn't get to see him yesterday either. When are we going to see what he has to offer since he is taking up a job where we had three head knockers fighting it out for one position in the last pre-season game?

I'm a fan of Franks and the "experiment", but he was a no-show yesterday too.

I hope to see better active roster decisions next week.

Like big tight ends in the red zone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

I got this. 
 

Damien Williams was good up through 2019. Today is 2022. He was cut by his last 2 teams because he isn’t good anymore. The career arc of an NFL running back is a flash in the pan. Damien Williams is this year’s Mike Davis. TF and AS thought he looked good on film but it was old Chiefs film. He was good. Then he wasn’t good. Then we signed him dirt cheap. 
 

Solved. You can now close the thread. 

Mike Davis has many more career yards than Damien Williams and in one less year in the league. I'm interested to see what he has, but to now it's like the best kept secret of the Falcons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get people are mad the rookie was a healthy scratch but this is pure hindsight. It’s easy to say this not being a coach who has to make the decision being able to only carry 46 and looking at the needs and depth at every position including special teams. If Williams stays healthy and has 30 yards, this article isn’t available. It’s just a part of being a coach and being forced to make difficult decisions due to the game day rule 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

I get people are mad the rookie was a healthy scratch but this is pure hindsight. It’s easy to say this not being a coach who has to make the decision being able to only carry 46 and looking at the needs and depth at every position including special teams. If Williams stays healthy and has 30 yards, this article isn’t available. It’s just a part of being a coach and being forced to make difficult decisions due to the game day rule 

I agree......that the game day rule sucks. If you have 53 on your roster then all 53 should be active. Wth is the point of having 7 inactive players at game time?

Isn't that the point of having a 16 man ps?

Edited by Williamb
Addition
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Williamb said:

I agree......that the game day rule sucks. If you have 53 on your roster then all 53 should be active. Wth is the point of having 7 inactive players at game time?

Someone was explaining it yesterday but I wouldn’t know if it was accurate or not. Either way, the rule is stupid

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

Someone was explaining it yesterday but I wouldn’t know if it was accurate or not. Either way, the rule is stupid

Yep, if you can't use them in-game the maybe it should just be 46 man roster and 23 man ps. Unless its just to protect those 7 from being poached, it makes zero sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nutsandbolts said:

I'll use this as an easy hook for the discussion: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/falcons-damien-williams-sidesteps-injury-in-week-1/

"Williams rushed twice for two yards during Sunday's 27-26 loss to the Saints.

...

"... as long as Allgeier is deemed not ready for game days, Williams -- barring a more serious injury -- figures to have the backup role locked down."

Damien Williams is a head scratcher to me. While CP handled the load yesterday, there were more than a few times we could have used any of Allgeier, Ollison, or Huntley to bang the line. Shoot, even Avery Williams had 2 rushes for 7 yards and another pass reception for 8. 

I understand Damien was injured on the first play of the second possession, but how do you basically come to the Saints game without any kind of backup for CP?

We didn't get to see Damien in the pre-season, we didn't get to see him yesterday either. When are we going to see what he has to offer since he is taking up a job where we had three head knockers fighting it out for one position in the last pre-season game?

I'm a fan of Franks and the "experiment", but he was a no-show yesterday too.

I hope to see better active roster decisions next week.

I said this when he was listed ahead of Algeir on the depth chart, and I was told the depth chart meant nothing.. So... Algeir looked like our best RB in preseason imo..

Edited by zekeyboy1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we'll see Allgier next week, even if Williams is healthy enough to dress.  But, that is just ensuring we have enough bodies to man the RB position.  But, if Williams was healthy, I assume Allgier would be inactive again.  There is so much more behind the scenes that we don't know about, and the coaching staff have their reasons as to why he wasn't active.  My assumption is Allgier doens't bring a lot of special teams ability, which is a must with the active 46, or there are still questions with his knowledge of the playbook or responsibilities.  Unfortunate Williams got hurt when he did, the message board is having difficulty trying to noodle through what Williams is/isn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tribal Chief said:

I get people are mad the rookie was a healthy scratch but this is pure hindsight. It’s easy to say this not being a coach who has to make the decision being able to only carry 46 and looking at the needs and depth at every position including special teams. If Williams stays healthy and has 30 yards, this article isn’t available. It’s just a part of being a coach and being forced to make difficult decisions due to the game day rule 

It's now 47, unless you carry 8 OL, then its 48 (I guess the OL have a good union or something). We have 9 OL on the roster so Edoga was not a surprise inactive. 

We elevated Firkser I guess to the 53 man roster since we released Anderson.

The five inactives to get to 48 were: 

WR Damiere Byrd, RB Tyler Allgeier, OLB DeAngelo Malone, ILB Nick Kwiatkoski, OL Chuma Edoga

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, blutarski said:

I think we'll see Allgier next week, even if Williams is healthy enough to dress.  But, that is just ensuring we have enough bodies to man the RB position.  But, if Williams was healthy, I assume Allgier would be inactive again.  There is so much more behind the scenes that we don't know about, and the coaching staff have their reasons as to why he wasn't active.  My assumption is Allgier doens't bring a lot of special teams ability, which is a must with the active 46, or there are still questions with his knowledge of the playbook or responsibilities.  Unfortunate Williams got hurt when he did, the message board is having difficulty trying to noodle through what Williams is/isn't.

It’s interesting because i actually liked what I saw out of the other Williams (Avery).  He played his role as RB well and remained formidable as our punt returner.

Damien Williams seems to be getting by on veteran experience.  Getting injured on your first carry doesn’t invite any confidence for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Williamb said:

I agree......that the game day rule sucks. If you have 53 on your roster then all 53 should be active. Wth is the point of having 7 inactive players at game time?

Isn't that the point of having a 16 man ps?

Good question.

I presume it is because most weeks teams will be carrying a few guys on the 53 who can’t play due to injuries.

Rather than allowing a healthy team suit up 53 whilst their opponent  might be missing a bunch of players, I guess they limit both to 46 actives.

I am not a fan of the rule. It doesn’t seem right having healthy players inactive, when could contribute and might become needed if others get hurt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tribal Chief said:

I get people are mad the rookie was a healthy scratch but this is pure hindsight. It’s easy to say this not being a coach who has to make the decision being able to only carry 46 and looking at the needs and depth at every position including special teams. If Williams stays healthy and has 30 yards, this article isn’t available. It’s just a part of being a coach and being forced to make difficult decisions due to the game day rule 

People are in their emotions. At the end of the day dude is a 5th round rookie as you mentioned. People just get caught up in unrealistic hopes & expectations for these guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

People are in their emotions. At the end of the day dude is a 5th round rookie as you mentioned. People just get caught up in unrealistic hopes & expectations for these guys.

In a nutshell. Because what happened to Williams could have very easily happened to Allgeier as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...