Looking Ahead

Matt4415

Blowing all these losses is tough to have confidence in Arthur Smith going forward. Playing some hypotheticals here just to make this somewhat enjoyable

Hypothetically if Smith is let go, who do y'all like as candidates to replace him?

Hypothetically if we have a top 3 pick and Ridder hasn't proven himself, who do we take?

Who do we go after in Free Agency? All defense and use the draft for offense? Whats y'alls preferred route?

1 minute ago, Matt4415 said:

Blowing all these losses is tough to have confidence in Arthur Smith going forward. Playing some hypotheticals here just to make this somewhat enjoyable

Hypothetically if Smith is let go, who do y'all like as candidates to replace him?

Hypothetically if we have a top 3 pick and Ridder hasn't proven himself, who do we take?

Who do we go after in Free Agency? All defense and use the draft for offense? Whats y'alls preferred route?

Are You Kidding Me Jason Bateman GIF by Team Coco

This is not the year to make coaching changes. If AS does not show up next season, you will be looking at his replacement. I certainly believe we need to let him run this season and next season. May be they come back from this debacle and do a good job in the next 16 games. Who knows. So wait until the season is done.

We are not there yet.

Most of us have maintained that you'll make it through this year and then next year will be the make or break year.

If we have another game like yesterday and we end up having an overall losing season then that calculus might change a bit but right now, today..... Is not time to have this kind of conversation

Draft I like edge first. Not sure who, ask me after colleges play in conference. 2nd round I like Deuce Vaughn, he is Darren Sproles reborn and he’ll go midway but will not go in the first or even early 2nd so I don’t think our pick order is important. 

For an HC, maybe I still like Bieniemy or Alex Van Pelt.  Truth is nobody knows until they are actually a HC how someone will do in that job.  

Free agency Suh is standing around waiting. Every time a legit All Pro enters FA some of us throw up the “wish” flag and some of us say “cap”. Cap is a voluntary and completely self-policed ceiling that championship teams don’t consider when the make championship decisions. Cap is a Falcons thing.  And yes, I know it’s real and measured. But it’s not restrictive as we say it is. 

I NEVER advocate tanking or any posturing for an early draft position. But the playoffs are either we win enough to make a wild card slot or we win our division. And our division is looking out of reach on then first Monday of the 2022 season. So No, it is no longer too soon to start thinking about next year. 
Yesterday was too soon. 

Edited by Killing Floor

I understand your frustration with AS, OP. Yesterday's 4th quarter clusterflop did closely resemble some of the clusterflops we saw when we had a lead in his first year as HC.  Nonetheless, he will have to commit far more serious crimes over far more games before he will be on the hot seat.

He is not a dumb guy. He did figure out preseason this time around and we got off to a solid start, at least for three quarters. That's still way better than where we were at this time last season.

To get through this time of high stress and uncertainty, I suggest you close your eyes very tightly, grit your teeth, stuff cotton in your ears, put a clothespin on your nose, ball up your fists, tighten your chin strap, buckle your seat belt and get ready for many more heaping helpings of AS style Atlanta Falcons football!  

26 minutes ago, Matt4415 said:

Y'all really think Arthur Smith is the man for the job? I get he's only been here a year plus, but what about him gives you confidence? He seems much better suited for a job as an accountant than a head NFL coach

Team had sacks

Oline blocked

100yrd rusher

Put a competitive team on the field against an opponent a lot thought we had zero chance.

All on a shoe string budget.

27 minutes ago, Matt4415 said:

Y'all really think Arthur Smith is the man for the job? I get he's only been here a year plus, but what about him gives you confidence? He seems much better suited for a job as an accountant than a head NFL coach

He won 7 games with a team that should have won 5, so he gets credit for overachieving if you ask me, and by 2 games. Despite what some raging homers say, and they will tell you we "could" have been a playoff team in 21' (laughable), analytically we should have been worse than we were.

Much the opposite of 20' of where analytically we should have been about an 8-8 team (7.6 and 8.4) to be exact per pro football reference.

Edited by Swayzee

1 hour ago, Matt4415 said:

Relax and stop being a jackass

8 minutes ago, Swayzee said:

Chief, I'm one of the most pessimistic cats on this forum. Even I think this way too early for a thread like this.

Be better😉.

And before an unnamed reports the top post, I think even Swayzee would admit he's earned that name

3 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

Team had sacks

Oline blocked

100yrd rusher

Put a competitive team on the field against an opponent a lot thought we had zero chance.

All on a shoe string budget.

I don't know if anyone said we have no chance. I think most thought it was a divisional game and they tend to be pretty close. I thought we would lose by 6 or so, so they showed better that I thought they would and 4 sacks is certainly a welcome surprise. 

Regardless the net/net is:

- Home loss (now 15-25 at MBS or .375 winning %)

-Divisional loss at home

-4th quarter collapse

Lets see what happens now that there will be some film on us. I fully expect to have the snot kicked out of us next week, but that is why they play the games.

Just now, Swayzee said:

I don't know if anyone said we have no chance. I think most thought it was a divisional game and they tend to be pretty close. I thought we would lose by 6 or so, so they showed better that I thought they would and 4 sacks is certainly a welcome surprise. 

Regardless the net/net is:

- Home loss (now 15-25 at MBS or .375 winning %)

-Divisional loss at home

-4th quarter collapse

Lets see what happens now that there will be some film on us. I fully expect to have the snot kicked out of us next week, but that is why they play the games.

I thought we had a very realistic chance. And considering it’s a must-win division game I did not expect any “let go” in the last quarter. I honestly expected we would win before kickoff. 
I don’t expect that next weekend. 

3 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

I thought we had a very realistic chance. And considering it’s a must-win division game I did not expect any “let go” in the last quarter. I honestly expected we would win before kickoff. 
I don’t expect that next weekend. 

I think the fact that they had zero tape on what this offense might be was a HUGE advantage for us, enormous (Jordan even eluded this in an interview). I think the more film on us the worse the results to be honest, because there is simply zero depth and Mariota is exactly what we saw yesterday, too inconsistent to lead an NFL team. 

Single read and run QB, that can and won't throw between the numbers because that is where accuracy is paramount. Does some good stuff with his feet, but the positives are outweighed by the negatives. No matter he won't survive a 1/4 of the season playing this way.

1 hour ago, Matt4415 said:

Dance Dancing GIF by Soul Train

I remember 2nd year of Quinn and Boy Wonder.  We lost our first game to Tampa, but in that game we showed life for the first time in years.

I was at 3 Dollar Cafe off of Chamblee Tucker.  People were mad.  A guy next to me said “Matt Ryan ain’t never gonna do anything.  He sucks!”

We went to the Super Bowl that year and Matt Ryan was league MVP.

Take from that what you want.