Serious question

Is it mandated and enforced through either some legal, binding contract or a satanic blood covenant that we absolutely have to stop doing the things in the fourth quarter that help us to be winning in quarters 1-3? Soft defense and inability to close out a winnable game with a sustained run game dooms us way too often. 

in all seriousness, why do we continually and regularly blow leads by consistently doing the same things and making the same mistakes over and over again?  I am to the point that I’m not comfortable with a Falcons win  until the middle of the afternoon on the next day just so I’m sure there is no chance we can still screw it up. 

Your thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Spongebob said:

I just read how rare of feat this is on NFL.com:

Research: Atlanta has blown three 15-plus-point leads since 2020. The rest of the league has blown two 15-plus-point leads combined.

So that should take care of the "you're over reacting" crowd. This doesn't happen to anyone else.

The sky didn't fall. Nobody expected us to win and for a lot of people, we were already 32nd in the power rankings, so we're no worse for wear. Give props to the Stains for changing to an uptempo game plan that threw us off our game in the last quarter. Teams that have been playing together for years can do that with success. We did it with Matt. Teams that just met each other in the locker room two weeks ago have a hard time of playing with each other until they gel and form chemistry. It's probably likely that we wouldn't lose the same way again.

I could mope. I could cry. But I keep reminding myself that we're playing with house money this season. Even though we're not the scrubs everybody wants us to be, we're not a good team until we prove to ourselves that we can win games like this one. Let's see if the team comes together before we act like today's loss was the same ol' Falcons or a motivating reason for the different new Falcons to get their **** together and play better than anybody has a right to expect us to.

2 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

The sky didn't fall. Nobody expected us to win and for a lot of people, we were already 32nd in the power rankings, so we're no worse for wear. Give props to the Stains for changing to an uptempo game plan that threw us off our game in the last quarter. Teams that have been playing together for years can do that with success. We did it with Matt. Teams that just met each other in the locker room two weeks ago have a hard time of playing with each other until they gel and form chemistry. It's probably likely that we wouldn't lose the same way.

I could mope. I could cry. But I keep reminding myself that we're playing with house money this season. Even though we're not the scrubs everybody wants us to be, we're not a good team until we prove to ourselves that we can win games like this one. Let's see if the team comes together before we act like today's loss was the same ol' Falcons or a motivating reason for the different new Falcons to get their **** together and play better than anybody has a right to expect us to.

As much as I want the Falcons to win the Super Bowl this year, I keep coming right back to that statement in bold.

15 minutes ago, Spongebob said:

Research: Atlanta has blown three 15-plus-point leads since 2020. The rest of the league has blown two 15-plus-point leads combined.

that is ****ing AF and a bit surreal, i always figured it was lack of passrush and inability to run the ball but we had both of those today...

8 minutes ago, ShoNuff said:

As much as I want the Falcons to win the Super Bowl this year, I keep coming right back to that statement in bold.

Yah, we're in the blurry area between not that good, but not bad. The good news isn't that we should expect great things, but we can logically expect better things. I know the ending sucked today. But I take solace in knowing that there were a hella lot of people who lost money today and the Stains lost a considerable amount of their ***.

On to the next game.

30 minutes ago, Spongebob said:

It feels like there were at least 3 today. Maybe those teams didn't end up winning though.

In all seriousness though... I'm not sure how to explain DQ, but so far it really just feels like Arthur Smith's vision is simply another take on Smittyball with a few concepts of the Shannyplan.

Run the ball to control the clock & be aggressive on defense early in the hope of forcing turnovers. Then once you have a lead, simply play to protect it rather than to increase it (bend-but-don't-break).

Given that Arthur Smith kinda got his foundation as an NFL coach working under Smitty's first OC, Mike Mularkey, it's maybe not all that surprising that this is the approach he seems to be taking.

10 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

Is it mandated and enforced through either some legal, binding contract or a satanic blood covenant that we absolutely have to stop doing the things in the fourth quarter that help us to be winning in quarters 1-3? Soft defense and inability to close out a winnable game with a sustained run game dooms us way too often. 

in all seriousness, why do we continually and regularly blow leads by consistently doing the same things and making the same mistakes over and over again?  I am to the point that I’m not comfortable with a Falcons win  until the middle of the afternoon on the next day just so I’m sure there is no chance we can still screw it up. 

Your thoughts?

Culture.  We still don't believe as a team or organization that we deserve to win.  It's a mental block, a bruised soul, a complete disregard for using the winning formula in a complete game.  

What I do not understand is that if there is a year the coaching staff have more credit to be aggressive and risky is this season. The majority of the expectation is winning 5 or 6 games and a rebuilding/retooling year with lots of limitations on roster due to cap. So why stop doing in the 4th what worked for the first three quarters? That is what is mostly concerning regardless of the final outcome. 

Edited by falcon22

9 hours ago, natod12 said:

that is ****ing AF and a bit surreal, i always figured it was lack of passrush and inability to run the ball but we had both of those today...

Not in the fourth to close it out. Whether that's coaching, players drive to win,  conditioning who knows. You establish the los in first the quarters for this very reason

10 hours ago, Spongebob said:

And let me point out that 28-3 happened 3 years before 2020.