A few thoughts from Section 312

2 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

4. Smith's playcalling inconsistency. Calling for 5 yard passes to the least athletic TE on 3rd and 9. Missing the necessity of going for it on 4th down late when it was clear the D was lost. Spent the #4 pick on a unicorn TE and yet can't seem to figure out how to make Pitts matter, especially when it counts the most

This is baffling 

I think we need to be a little bit easier on this team for a second.  This is the very first game Mariota and this team has played together.  I thought they played a magical 3 quarters.  Aggressive on defense, offense was pounding the rock.... It was the recipe for success. Only problem is, when this Falcons team gets a lead, they start to back off.  As soon as they back off, the Saints just passed the ball at will.  We will never know if this franchise will ever learn how to finish a game.  If I was Arthur Blank, i would of hired coaches who know how to finish games.  Arthur Smith is doing way to much trying to confuse the defense, to the point where they confuse themselves. I like the creativity, but at some point you just have to do what works.  If CP and the run game are just killing them, keep going until they stop it.  You have these amazing receivers and never really took shots with them...

11 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

4. Smith's playcalling inconsistency. Calling for 5 yard passes to the least athletic TE on 3rd and 9. Missing the necessity of going for it on 4th down late when it was clear the D was lost. Spent the #4 pick on a unicorn TE and yet can't seem to figure out how to make Pitts matter, especially when it counts the most. He's not a terrible play caller, but he's also not an offensive 'genius' whose brilliance is going to carry the team beyond what its talent level can achieve. 

I was baffled by kicking the PAT when we were 22-10. The result was 23-10. I don't get it, why didn't we go for 2? It is this kind of thing that makes me think AS is consumed with offensive coordinating and not head coaching.

On the positive, I think after all the questionable things AS did a good job of calling his TO's etc. to give us at least a chance at the end.

14 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

I waited a few hours before posting, since posting immediately after the game would've only included a bunch of expletives.

Here are a few, hopefully more coherent, thoughts:

The Good

1. Patterson is a very productive RB. He hits the hole hard, get yards after contact, and can make people miss. 

2. Having a mobile QB got Atlanta some easy yards today, including first downs. Rolling MM out also led to some nice pass plays. 

3. The D got four sacks, four 3 & outs, and a turnover. 

4. London looker good. Knows what to do after the catch and got open at key times. 

The Bad

1. Having a mobile QB that doesn't slide and confuses recklessness for aggressiveness. 

2. Having a DC whose mental collapse in the 4th quarter belies his experience in the league.

3. The rush defense wasn't good. Other than the runs by Taysom Hill, the Saints helped the Falcons out by choosing not to run as often as they could have. Kamara & Ingram combined were averaging 4.7 ypc. 

4. Smith's playcalling inconsistency. Calling for 5 yard passes to the least athletic TE on 3rd and 9. Missing the necessity of going for it on 4th down late when it was clear the D was lost. Spent the #4 pick on a unicorn TE and yet can't seem to figure out how to make Pitts matter, especially when it counts the most. He's not a terrible play caller, but he's also not an offensive 'genius' whose brilliance is going to carry the team beyond what it's talent level can achieve. 

The Ugly

1. Instead of making the most of the opportunity to throttle a division rival when they were there to be beaten and start Season Two with a new attitude, the Falcons continued the horrible trend of finding ways to lose games that nearly every other team in the league - even the worst ones - manage to win. Can't claim to have changed the culture when you're still repeating the major sins that defined the team culture of the previous regime. 

2. The schedule was already difficult and there are only 17 games in the regular season. Blowing a 16-point lead at home in the division makes it much more likely that this is a 5-6 win team than an 8-9 win team. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475c5enoh1mpqlbxxm5d

Agree with every single point made by OP. The D starting off the season with 4 sacks and 4 three-and-outs was an excellent start. But, Pees calling off the dogs in the 4th quarter quickly negated all the positives from the first three quarters.

Prevent Defense is a losing strategy unless you have a bunch of seasoned veterans with years of experience at it. That's not us. 

AS failing to make more use of Pitts, the insistence on calling short passing plays on 3rd and long, the cowardice of AS kicking the ball to the Saints on 4th and 1 around mid-field with the game on the line was the final nail in the coffin. The worst possible start from a confidence standpoint. 

3 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree with every single point made by OP. The D starting off the season with 4 sacks and 4 three-and-outs was an excellent start. But, Pees calling off the dogs in the 4th quarter quickly negated all the positives from the first three quarters.

Prevent Defense is a losing strategy unless you have a bunch of seasoned veterans with years of experience at it. That's not us. 

AS failing to make more use of Pitts, the insistence on calling short passing plays on 3rd and long, the cowardice of AS kicking the ball to the Saints on 4th and 1 around mid-field with the game on the line was the final nail in the coffin. The worst possible start from a confidence standpoint. 

Good point about this youthful D needing a different approach than a DC might take with vets. 

Overall, i just wish the coaching staff would recognize that staying aggressive is the best way to get a young team to play hard and believe in each other. 

4 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Good point about this youthful D needing a different approach than a DC might take with vets. 

Overall, i just wish the coaching staff would recognize that staying aggressive is the best way to get a young team to play hard and believe in each other. 

I don't understand why. It just seems like common sense. You continue to do what's bringing you success. Trying to throttle down this young D into a prevent is just begging for trouble. And we got it.

11 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Smittyball v2.0

Smith’s utter lack of understanding of tight ends continues to haunt the team.

The hurricane winds that blow off Taysom Hill and makes our guys fall over can’t be blamed on coaches. Our guys have never seen a player as wildly fast as Hill apparently. 

AJ Terrell used to be a really good cornerback. I wonder if he forgot to work out this summer?  He was a bust. He should not be guaranteed a starting position if he is no longer one of our 2 best DBs. 

38 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

I waited a few hours before posting, since posting immediately after the game would've only included a bunch of expletives.

The Good

1. Patterson is a very productive RB. He hits the hole hard, get yards after contact, and can make people miss. 

2. Having a mobile QB got Atlanta some easy yards today, including first downs. Rolling MM out also led to some nice pass plays. 

4. London looked good. Knows what to do after the catch and got open at key times. 

The Bad

1. Having a mobile QB that doesn't slide and confuses recklessness for aggressiveness. 

2. Having a DC whose mental collapse in the 4th quarter belies his experience in the league.

3. The rush defense wasn't good. Other than the runs by Taysom Hill, the Saints helped the Falcons out by choosing not to run as often as they could have. Kamara & Ingram combined were averaging 4.7 ypc. 

4. Smith's playcalling inconsistency. Calling for 5 yard passes to the least athletic TE on 3rd and 9. Missing the necessity of going for it on 4th down late when it was clear the D was lost. Spent the #4 pick on a unicorn TE and yet can't seem to figure out how to make Pitts matter, especially when it counts the most. He's not a terrible play caller, but he's also not an offensive 'genius' whose brilliance is going to carry the team beyond what its talent level can achieve. 

The Ugly

1. Instead of making the most of the opportunity to throttle a division rival when they were there to be beaten and start Season Two with a new attitude, the Falcons continued the horrible trend of finding ways to lose games that nearly every other team in the league - even the worst ones - manage to win. Can't claim to have changed the culture when you're still repeating the major sins that defined the team culture of the previous regime. 

2. The schedule was already difficult and there are only 17 games in the regular season. Blowing a 16-point lead at home in the division makes it much more likely that this is a 5-6 win team than an 8-9 win team. 

I can’t disagree with this assessment at all. The Jury is still out on AS and Dean Pees, but MM is definitely going to have to grow into his role and develop some franchise QB habits such as ball security and knowing when to go down.

There a smart coaches in this league who can run an offensive to perfection. When in comes to situational football they are dumb as an ox.  You and add Smith and Pees to that list along with shanahan

It's 4 and 6 and this idiot chooses to punt the ball back to a red hot saints offense.

And pees decides to play man and soft zone coverage instead of blitzing to keep the pressure on Winston and make him uncomfortable. 

We keep hiring these dumb *** coaches that can't manage a clock. Smdh

1 hour ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

The Good

4. London looked good. Knows what to do after the catch and got open at key times. 

The Bad

The Ugly

Well said 

Until the Falcons run the ball between the tackles and keep being aggressive on defense in ALL 4 quarters then this will not be the only 4th quarter collapse this season. 

Stick with what works......I still believe in this team because of what I saw for three quarters in game one. One down,16 to go. LET'S GO!!!!

2 hours ago, RazorWing said:

There a smart coaches in this league who can run an offensive to perfection. When in comes to situational football they are dumb as an ox.  You and add Smith and Pees to that list along with shanahan

It's 4 and 6 and this idiot chooses to punt the ball back to a red hot saints offense.

And pees decides to play man and soft zone coverage instead of blitzing to keep the pressure on Winston and make him uncomfortable. 

We keep hiring these dumb *** coaches that can't manage a clock. Smdh

Not only that, but they ran the punt team out there after Mariota botched the snap. Then they took a delay of game penalty to eat up clock and give the punter more room.

If you were gonna take the delay of game penalty anyway, why on Earth would you not just keep the offense out there & have them hopefully draw the Saints offside with a hard count? I mean, the Saints HAD to have a stop there, and they were totally out of timeouts. So the odds of them being a little jumpy in that situation isn't crazy.

If they jump, you get 5 yards and now it's 4th & 1... which gives you a few options: go for it, and if you pick it up the game is essentially over - or line up & try to draw them offside again.

In either case, if they don't jump, whatever... you just take the delay of game and proceed with the punt.

If one of you own guys moves, well that sucks, but it's just the 5 yards you'd have given up with the delay of game call anyhow.

But to not even try to use their desperation as a possible advantage shows a total lack of awareness by the coaching staff IMO.

Kyle Pitts is going to experience the Julio Jones effect.Teams will look at our run game and say CP won’t beat us and in the pass game anyone else but Pitts.

No amount of scheming will account for these 2 being successful if the other team has it in there mind that anyone else but those 2.

The slip ups ie the Koo XP miss early and the 3 fumbles killed us in the end.Throw in situational decisions off the field were more costly.

22 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Kyle Pitts is going to experience the Julio Jones effect.Teams will look at our run game and say CP won’t beat us and in the pass game anyone else but Pitts.

No amount of scheming will account for these 2 being successful if the other team has it in there mind that anyone else but those 2.

The slip ups ie the Koo XP miss early and the 3 fumbles killed us in the end.Throw in situational decisions off the field were more costly.

I'm pretty sure the only kick Koo missed all day was the 60+ yard attempt at the very end of the game which was blocked.

NFL.com has him as going 4 for 5 on FGs and 2 for 2 of XPs, and I don't recall seeing him miss an XP.

5 hours ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

Great post. Lack of situational awareness and ball security gets you beat in team sports no matter the talent on your sidelines. As a football official for nearly 20 years, I've seen rec league, high school, and college teams have a better ability to close out opposing teams than this outfit. 

Doing what they did to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (i.e. fumbling the football around twice in the 4th, switching to a soft-zone coverage which alowed Winston to gain confidence while opening up his receivers downfield) should confirm to everyone on this board that this is likely a 5-12 campaign instead of a 8 or 9-win team. Think they get the same opportunity to close out the Rams, Ravens, Bengals, Bucs, or Steelers? As Charles Barkley would say, I might be wrong but I doubt it...

Edited by ratesforless

7 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

I don't understand why. It just seems like common sense. You continue to do what's bringing you success. Trying to throttle down this young D into a prevent is just begging for trouble. And we got it.

It didn't help that on the 1st td drive of the saints comeback, Grady, Carter and AK did not get many snaps in that series.

I'm also confused why there was no TO taken to let the defense catch its breath and gain some composure. They just allowed the saints on all 3 drives to continue working the hurry up and not give themselves the chance to adjust. The coaching staff is so baffling when it comes to situational football. 

7 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

I’m waiting to hear how Pees spins this ****.  

9 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

AJ Terrell used to be a really good cornerback. I wonder if he forgot to work out this summer?  He was a bust. He should not be guaranteed a starting position if he is no longer one of our 2 best DBs. 

I still think Terrell’s a really good CB. Both the TD’s he gave up, he was in excellent position draped over Thomas, Mike just tends to pull those wild catches out more times than not somehow, especially in the redzone.

Other than those 2 catches for scores, Thomas was held to a paltry 3 catches for 45 yards. You have to remember, this is only the 3rd time Terrell has played in the same game with Thomas, last time being in 2020. I don’t know if he shadowed him all game or not, but think he did very well.

10 hours ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

Unfortunately I didn’t wait lol but great post. What baffles me is when the Saints went 75 yards in 4 plays in less than a minute. Why Pees didn’t scrap his soft defense and go back to being aggressive is beyond me.