Arthur Smith, Marcus Mariota, Grady Jarrett | Postgame press conferences | Saints vs. Falcons

pren226

12 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

It's game 18.

Last season still counts.

They can still turn things around but you don't get a 2nd chance to make a first impression.

And the first impression this season is it's going to be more of the same. No lead is safe and you can't trust the coaching staff.

Bottom line is AS was brought in to correct the poor situational coaching of the last regime.  He starts off the 1st game of the season with the most inept effort in the last quarter.  Pees is a joke.  Terrible defensive play calling when it mattered most.  This type of loss should NOT happen twice in a franchise let alone half a dozen times since 2012.

22 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

It’s already old.  He needs to shut his trap until he’s won some meaningful games. 

Really needs to win ALOT more if he wants to act like Belichick or Saban with the media. He comes off like a privileged rich boy who doesn't like to be questioned. I'm glad he's not a coach bro but jeez...

Just now, Mr.Blank said:

Really needs to win ALOT more if he wants to act like Belichick or Saban with the media. He comes off like a privileged rich boy who doesn't like to be questioned. I'm glad he's not a coach bro but jeez...

Yeah I’m glad Captain Platitudes was sent packing but Grumpy Gus is in the opposite end of the spectrum and that’s not a compliment.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

MM was reckless in running all day. AS had plenty of chances to reign him.

Blame MM for the botched snap fumble all you want, but there was zero reason to call him up under center and have him start doing all kinds of pre-snap shenanigans on a tricky QB sneak. There was no reason to try to catch the defense off guard on the snap. Just line up and hand it to Patterson.

Unless CP gets stuffed at LOS…then you guys are complaining because AS is unimaginative. 

Rear view mirror coaching is fun. But that fumble is on MM, not the coach. MM is here because of his ability to run the ball in situations exactly like that one. 

2 hours ago, 32wood84white said:

What problems did AS have today? Threw for 215, ran for 201, 0 sacks, controlled TOP The offenses problem today was literally 3 fumbles. 3 fumbles cost us the game. No matter what the defense started to do or didn’t do in the 4th quarter, 3 fumbles lost the game. And I don’t care what anyone says, They would have scored a touchdown on the drive MM fumbled at the 5. Saints were done and we put them back in it.

The only fault to AS is his strategy in these Saints games is his football courtesy… He needs to be just a tad bit aggressive. He coached a great game to be honest. But, there were a couple times where he could’ve went for it on 4th and short deep in Saints territory but he settled for 3.

If you settle for anything against the Saints you are giving them momentum. They get spirited anytime we don’t go for the kill shot. They still have the stench of Payton in their org so they take IMMENSE pleasure in beating us.

1 hour ago, diehardfalconsfan said:

I've questioned my sanity for putting myself through this year after year so many times I've lost count. I find it weird and maybe disturbing to stay a fan to a team that brings so much pain lol but here I am as always. I guess I'm nuts. 🤪

All I know is Thank God for uga and the braves or I'm sure someone would have me in a padded room somewhere

Same brother, same

1 hour ago, rtbsmgsmf said:

Starting to think this team was founded on an Indian burial ground and has been cursed for its entire existence 

This game could not have been scripted any differently to pizz me off more than it did...fom Mike Thomas catching the 2 TD's, losing the 4th, Taysom Hill...the dmn Saints team in general getting another over us...just could not have been everything I hate any more...it was a Mount Everest of things I didn't want to see...

4 hours ago, NCFalconfan said:

Atlanta has had more odds defying, almost impossible losses in 5 years than some franchises have experienced in 50 years. Its a small miracle we still have season ticket holders at this point because this team doesn't just lose, we TORTURE the fanbase.

I gave my tickets up 3 years ago after realizing they just don’t have the people in place on or off the field to be successful. It made more sense to just eat the small portion of the PSL that i had paid so far. In hindsight, it was the best decision I could have ever made. Couldn’t even sell them at face value when i couldn’t make the games.

5 hours ago, 32wood84white said:

What problems did AS have today? Threw for 215, ran for 201, 0 sacks, controlled TOP The offenses problem today was literally 3 fumbles. 3 fumbles cost us the game. No matter what the defense started to do or didn’t do in the 4th quarter, 3 fumbles lost the game. And I don’t care what anyone says, They would have scored a touchdown on the drive MM fumbled at the 5. Saints were done and we put them back in it.

I've mentioned that in several threads, and was glad to hear Mariota at least own up the fact that he totally screwed up both that & the 3rd & 1 play later on.

To Grady's point, it's true that one play doesn't ever necessarily make or break a game, but a few plays have much, much, much beggier impact on the outcome than most. Mariot's red zone fumble was one of those. The Saints were on the ropes, and a score there, even a FG, basically would've been enough to completely put them away. Mariota already had the first down, so there was absolutely no reason for him to try to lower his head, not cover up, and allow the Saints to punch it out, gain momentum, and stay alive. That to me was THE turning point in this one. Mariota has to stop trying to play hero ball and start playing smart football. If he could just do that, we would be 1-0 right now. He basically said so much himself.

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

Unless CP gets stuffed at LOS…then you guys are complaining because AS is unimaginative. 

Rear view mirror coaching is fun. But that fumble is on MM, not the coach. MM is here because of his ability to run the ball in situations exactly like that one. 

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the call, but I get it... especially after hearing Mariota say that it was the right read & he just tried to get a jump on it & screwed it all up.

The bigger problem I have on that series is that they trotted the punt team out there after that, only to have them take the delay call on purpose. If the intention was to eat clock & take the delay call anyway, why in the world would you not keep the offense out there? The Saints HAD to get a stop & had no time outs left. That play was the game for them. So why not at least line up like you might go for it in the hopes that just maybe they get a little antsy & you can catch them jumping early on a hard count?

If they jump, it's 5 yards & essentially seals the deal for a Falcons win.

If they don't jump, big deal, you still take the delay of game penalty you were planning on taking anyway, and THEN you punt.

But to not even try to take advantage of that situation... as slim as the odds of them jumping offside might've been... is just confusing to me.

8 hours ago, k-train said:

I've mentioned that in several threads, and was glad to hear Mariota at least own up the fact that he totally screwed up both that & the 3rd & 1 play later on.

To Grady's point, it's true that one play doesn't ever necessarily make or break a game, but a few plays have much, much, much beggier impact on the outcome than most. Mariot's red zone fumble was one of those. The Saints were on the ropes, and a score there, even a FG, basically would've been enough to completely put them away. Mariota already had the first down, so there was absolutely no reason for him to try to lower his head, not cover up, and allow the Saints to punch it out, gain momentum, and stay alive. That to me was THE turning point in this one. Mariota has to stop trying to play hero ball and start playing smart football. If he could just do that, we would be 1-0 right now. He basically said so much himself.

Absolutely. And the part that sucks is right after the fumble at the 5 I said two turnovers are tough to win with, 3 against a good team will lose the game. And while the fumbled snap isn’t a true turnover, it forced us to punt the very next play so it worked just like a turnover. Just cannot do it. He has to be smarter with the ball. 

14 hours ago, Expert Poster said:

Eh, we led 26-10 despite the turnovers. Then we laid down on defense, including inexplicably letting them shred us with our entire starting DL out of the game. We made life difficult on Winston for three quarters, then decided we didn't need to anymore. 

This ^^^^^^.  I don't understand why we got away from what worked for 3/4 of the game....That way, at least if we lost, we lost playing with our balls out (figuratively)!  I hate losing.  I would've hated losing less if we would've fought till the end.

AS's situational play calling was fine, its situational execution and making dumb*** errors at the worse possible time that killed us. Especially when you hear Mariota say that his fumble was because "he was unaware of where he was on the field when he fumbled; if he knew he had the first, he would have just tucked and stayed down" and you hear Jameis say that came back because "they were too worried about matchups and coverages and just decided to go completely off script and just play a base offense and throw it to the play makers and who ever was open".  This also goes with what AS started to say (and then stopped himself from going on) something along the lines of the Saints going off looks and tendencies. 

Basically the Falcons got caught on their heels, adjusted to what they were doing, and the players shot themselves in the foot every chance they got...

Plus this whole thing where AS hates the media is just stupid; his wife is a reporter. He also has great relationships with the reporters (per Carl Dukes and DLed), he only has an issue with "lazy", "uneducated", and "obviously hasn't paid attention or watched The Falcons Hot-Takes" (also from DLed). 

15 hours ago, stizz said:

or cowardice.

Smith took two delay of game penalties AT HOME on 4th down to give the ball back to the Saints. He's a gutless coach with a low IQ parading around like a tough guy who has accomplished nothing.

Got that right. Very low iq. We should have hired Eric Bieniemy. That's who i wanted.  Bieniemy wouldn't have pulled that s@#t

14 hours ago, Mr.Blank said:

AS attacking media and fans is going to get real old real quick if his team keeps pulling **** like this. 

14 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

It’s already old.  He needs to shut his trap until he’s won some meaningful games. 

Here's the sad truth what you guys are saying is complete B-S... Because it doesn't ******* matter. We have one of the softest, saddest, and "Karen" fanbases in the league. We could be competitive and have winning records EVERY season and we would still ***** and whine because "it wasn't Madden enough", "wasn't flashy or swagger enough", etc... We could make the playoffs EVERY SEASON and "Yeah, but we don't have (insert name star/popular player or Coach) on our team when we did it".  We don't want consistent and solid teams here because "it takes too much time", "we want it now", and "we're not popular"... What the actual two-toned, leather bound, gucci a$shole  branded ****?!? 

I know as a whole we have suffered and just want a team to be proud of but why would a team want to represent and "have the backs" of a fanbase that doesn't have their backs and ***** on them daily?

Plus it doesn't make sense to be in a state where we have a great history of teams and plyers, only for us to not be better knowledgeable about football-ese and how things work...  I'm not saying accept mediocrity but at least be able to see and recognize improvement when its there.  We can do better.  

16 hours ago, 32wood84white said:

While I agree with this, AS still should have never put MM under center and he absolutely should've gone for it on 4th and 1. 

But if Mariota doesn't fumble at the 5 (or on the 3rd and 1 snap) and Pees didn't decide to go soft in the 4th, then that decision would've never had to have been made anyways. Pees and MM are to blame for this one, regardless if AS made a bad call late in the game.