How much of allowing the comebacks of other NFL teams will continue????

Rise

How much can this fanbase take?

The Saints QBs won't do that to any other franchise this season.

You just do not look that good in the first half, and so bad in the second.

Goofball mistakes.:

A Falcon QB and the smallest WR fumbling because they both are trying to break the tackles of 3 Saints defenders???

Toss sweeps to the short side of the hash mark?

No WRs can get open to help TE Pitts?

"28-3" is the slogan from other teams fanbases forever.

It will continue until we have a coaching staff committed to beating the other team into submission instead of hoping to cling to victory at the end. 

For as long as I've watched the Falcons, I've seen coach after coach get a big lead and play scared the rest of the game. Scared to blitz, scared to play press coverage, scared to take chances offensively, etc. Doesn't matter if they've done all those things well all game--they don't have it in them to do what it takes to put the other team away rather than hoping the clock and happenstance do it for them. 

Arthur Smith will need to dig deep and find that killer in him, or he will flame out like all the others before him. 

1 hour ago, Expert Poster said:

will continue until we have a coaching staff committed to beating the other team into submission instead of hoping to cling to victory at the end. 

This right here is it. I effing HATE that weak, cowardly, play-not-to-lose crap. And NEWSFLASH — we LOSE WHEN WE DO IT.

Keep playing hard. win strong. if you lose a couple of times because of it, so be it. Just don’t make me vomit in disgust anymore.

1 hour ago, Expert Poster said:

It will continue until we have a coaching staff committed to beating the other team into submission instead of hoping to cling to victory at the end. 

For as long as I've watched the Falcons, I've seen coach after coach get a big lead and play scared the rest of the game. Scared to blitz, scared to play press coverage, scared to take chances offensively, etc. Doesn't matter if they've done all those things well all game--they don't have it in them to do what it takes to put the other team away rather than hoping the clock and happenstance do it for them. 

Arthur Smith will need to dig deep and find that killer in him, or he will flame out like all the others before him. 

1 minute ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

This right here is it. I effing HATE that weak, cowardly, play-not-to-lose crap. And NEWSFLASH — we LOSE WHEN WE DO IT.

Keep playing hard. win strong. if you lose a couple of times because of it, so be it. Just don’t make me vomit in disgust anymore.

BINGO.

Smith did a lot of rookie HC things last year.  That said, blowing leads wasn’t one of them (unlike Mike Smith and Quinn), and when mistakes were made they normally learned from them.  We have a bad roster, mistakes are going to be amplified all season.  It is what it is.  Enjoy the progress we make week to week and hopefully find some gems along the way to build our team around and look forward to next year when we actually have cap space TF can do something with.  The fact that this team is actually watchable and competitive is impressive as **** imo.

It will continue until we are a better team..

Teams like us aren’t going to blow teams out. Our wins will always be down to the last possession.

Our offense and defense aren’t good enough to run away from teams. We played a pretty good game but made too many dumb mistakes to win. The one play no one is complaining about is the 40 yard catch on the winning drive. I don’t even know what the corner was doing on that play…

There were NO consequences from 28-3. Nobody was questioned. No positions were lost. No coach or player or exec left Houston with any sense that they messed up or had anything to fix for next season. Nobody showed up next summer with a chip on their shoulder, with unfinished business. 

So what would make anyone think today’s giveaway is going to be remembered tomorrow at Flowery Branch?

Edited by Killing Floor

4 hours ago, Jpg428gggg said:

It will continue until we are a better team..

Teams like us aren’t going to blow teams out. Our wins will always be down to the last possession.

Our offense and defense aren’t good enough to run away from teams. We played a pretty good game but made too many dumb mistakes to win. The one play no one is complaining about is the 40 yard catch on the winning drive. I don’t even know what the corner was doing on that play…

I noticed. 

7 hours ago, Expert Poster said:

It's Smittyball.

Run it to control the tempo/clock. Be aggressive early on defense to force a turnover or two. Establish a lead and then bend but try not to break protecting it.

Smitty's OC was Mike Mularky... which is who Arthur Smith was basically groomed under in Tennessee (Dave Ragone also served w/ Smith on the Titan's staff during the Mike Munchak era).

So, it's maybe not all that surprising that a similar style seems to be evident in the approach.

18 hours ago, k-train said:

It's Smittyball.

Run it to control the tempo/clock. Be aggressive early on defense to force a turnover or two. Establish a lead and then bend but try not to break protecting it.

Smitty's OC was Mike Mularky... which is who Arthur Smith was basically groomed under in Tennessee (Dave Ragone also served w/ Smith on the Titan's staff during the Mike Munchak era).

So, it's maybe not all that surprising that a similar style seems to be evident in the approach.

Good point. Had forgotten that connection. I think Arthur Smith is a sharper offensive coach than Mularkey, but he does seem to have adopted some of that same old school approach to closing out games.

44 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

Good point. Had forgotten that connection. I think Arthur Smith is a sharper offensive coach than Mularkey, but he does seem to have adopted some of that same old school approach to closing out games.

Thanks & I agree that he’s more interesting of a play caller than Mularkey was. To my eyes, it seems like he’s taken the basis of the Mularkey style of running an offense & added in elements of the Shannyplan. I think a lot of coaches who come from these more old school coaching trees have it ingrained deep in their DNA to play to protect a lead rather than maintaining their aggressiveness until the end.

11 minutes ago, shc said:

It’s interesting seeing all the “I’d rather us be aggressive and lose that to try to play it safe to win” contrasted with “we shouldn’t have been aggressive, and just called 3 run plays and kicked a field goal”

Everyone cried because Kyle didn't run the ball and kick a fg in the Superbowl. He was just doing what he did all year and what got us there. Being aggressive and going for the dagger.

Although , I can see a good reason why his philosophy should have changed with 3 of his 5 OLinemen playing hubbled by the end. 

It's the decisions of Arthur Blank & Rich McKay with the coaching staff over the years, combined with the fact that we fail to draft the correct defensive guys or just line of scrimmage players in general from both sides of the ball, poor O-line picks, poor D-line picks, etc. We continue to draft skill position players, why the **** is 3 out of the last 5 first round draft picks wide receivers or tight ends? We know one of those 3 aren't even here anymore. Why do we continue to pick soft guys on the D-line & secondary year after year? Honestly, I think this it the main reason why we keep blowing leads. When's the last time you've seen exciting highlights from the Falcons pass rush & DB's week after week like other teams, one's who have a mean nasty attitude in them? That comes from years of (poor) drafting. 

Edited by mqg96