Going to my first home game, looking for parking advice

Hello folks, I get to knock off a bucket list item and see a Falcons home game this Sunday! I'm vacationing near Macon and a local suggested to park at the airport and take Marta to the Benz, which we plan to do. 

Does anyone have any tips on the best/most convenient place to park? I'm not too concerned about price - I see on the airport's website that full day parking in the economy lot is $16 (which is fine if I just go into the terminal and get on Marta) - but if anyone has a better option then I'd appreciate any advice I can get. Thank you!

Personally, I prefer the MARTA train stations at Edgewood-Candler Park or East Lake. Coming from Macon, they will not be as convenient to drive to as the one at the airport, but they are much less crowded going to and leaving the game. 

I had a parking pass with my season tickets, but never used it because the east side stations were so easy to use. To give you an example: After the game the trains will be absolutely packed until you reach Five Points, but a large majority of riders will get off to catch the north and south lines. I have often been on train cars that were less than 20% full after that station (usually they were around 10% full).

To make it worth your time to go a little bit out of the way for parking, grab something to eat at El Tesoro in Edgewood (Mexican food) or Scout in Oakhurst (American). 

Edited by tcmafreak

Stay the night before at the CNN center and just walk. You’re within walking distance of the Atlanta Breakfast Club (bomb.com breakfast spot), and of the Benz.

After having too many adult bevs you just walk back to the hotel and sleep.

Edited by ShmevinShmarris

1 hour ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

Stay the night before at the CNN center and just walk. You’re within walking distance of the Atlanta Breakfast Club (bomb.com breakfast spot), and of the Benz.

After having too many adult bevs you just walk back to the hotel and sleep.

People drink at football games?

2 hours ago, tcmafreak said:

Personally, I prefer the MARTA train stations at Edgewood-Candler Park or East Lake. Coming from Macon, they will not be as convenient to drive to as the one at the airport, but they are much less crowded going to and leaving the game. 

I had a parking pass with my season tickets, but never used it because the east side stations were so easy to use. To give you an example: After the game the trains will be absolutely packed until you reach Five Points, but a large majority of riders will get off to catch the north and south lines. I have often been on train cars that were less than 20% full after that station (usually they were around 10% full).

To make it worth your time to go a little bit out of the way for parking, grab something to eat at El Tesoro in Edgewood (Mexican food) or Scout in Oakhurst (American). 

I'll give a 2nd thumbs up for El Tesoro and Scout.  

If you're coming up from Macon you may consider taking 675 -> 285 -> Memorial Drive and catching Marta at the Kensington station which has a large parking lot and is on the East-West line.  If you do that you can go a couple stops to Decatur station which is right off Decatur Square with a bunch of good bars and restaurants.   Then just hop back on to Marta for a straight shot to MBS.

Edited by brewman

14 hours ago, brewman said:

If you're coming up from Macon you may consider taking 675 -> 285 -> Memorial Drive and catching Marta at the Kensington station which has a large parking lot and is on the East-West line.  If you do that you can go a couple stops to Decatur station which is right off Decatur Square with a bunch of good bars and restaurants.   Then just hop back on to Marta for a straight shot to MBS.

This is actually a great suggestion coming in from Macon because you just avoid a lot of mayhem and the Kensington parking lot is huge and very easy in and out.  I have recommended this before, but didnt consider the Decatur aspect, which puts gameday in a whole new light. Good suggestion brother

Best advice to the OP, its the first game... there will be a ton of swampers who dont know how to operate a phone holding up the lines getting in... dont wait til just before kickoff to enter the game. 

Not sure what it is, but swampers and Floridians just cant use phones to enter the game... dont get stuck in the line like everyone else (besides, if you want to get a feel for the Benz, before the game is a lot easier than after)

Also, someone said it earlier and I agree, the navigation from the airport lot to the MARTA train could end up just ruining our day.  But, if you go that route, there are actually 2 trains that leave the airport going north... both will get you to MBS. 

43 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

Best advice to the OP, its the first game... there will be a ton of swampers who dont know how to operate a phone holding up the lines getting in... dont wait til just before kickoff to enter the game. 

Not sure what it is, but swampers and Floridians just cant use phones to enter the game... dont get stuck in the line like everyone else (besides, if you want to get a feel for the Benz, before the game is a lot easier than after)

Also, someone said it earlier and I agree, the navigation from the airport lot to the MARTA train could end up just ruining our day.  But, if you go that route, there are actually 2 trains that leave the airport going north... both will get you to MBS. 

We plan/hope to get to the Benz by 11 and get into the Benz the moment they allow you in.