Falcons injury report: Drake London limited in Wednesday’s practice

HASHBROWN3

1242161771.0.jpgTodd Kirkland/Getty Images

We’re back! You know football is right around the corner when our daily injury reports return. The Falcons practiced on Wednesday in a private session at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, as they prepare to start the season hosting the New Orleans Saints on Sunday. There’s still two more practices that will take place this week, but let’s look at the health of both teams as of Wednesday.

You can expect to see the injury reports here every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

atl.png

FULL PARTICIPATION

• N/A

LIMITED PARTICIPATION

• WR Drake London (knee)
  • CB Darren Hall (quadricep)

NO PARTICIPATION

• TE Parker Hesse (non-injury)

no.png

FULL PARTICIPATION

• N/A

LIMITED PARTICIPATION

• WR Michael Thomas (hamstring)
  • C Erik McCoy (calf)
  • LB Pete Werner (groin)
  • S J.T. Gray (hamstring)

NO PARTICIPATION

• WR Tre’Quan Smith (groin)
  • RB Dwayne Washington (hamstring)
  • CB Paulson Adebo (ankle)
  • T Landon Young (hip)
  • T Tanner Owen (non-injury)

We do have some reassuring news, as rookie wide receiver Drake London was limited in practice on Wednesday, but did wear full pads. London sustained a knee injury in the team’s first preseason game, and it appears he’s heading in the right direction in order to suit up this weekend. 

“We’ll see what it looks like the rest of the week,” Falcons head coach Arthur Smith said. “And then we’ve got to make a decision on whether he’s playing or he’s not, and how much to put on his plate.”

As far as we know, London is the only player whose status is in question for this weekend. The Saints have a longer list, including starting center Erik McCoy, starting linebacker Pete Werner, and starting receiver Michael Thomas, who were all limited. Starting cornerback Paulson Adebo did not practice. 

We’ll continue to monitor the practice reports over the new few days

Fingers crossed in Drake.

The good news is that he is progressing.

We’re going on 3-4 weeks now maybe? So hopefully his injury (strain? Bone bruise?) was serious enough for them to shut him down all this time for precaution, but not serious enough that he couldn’t fully recover.

Smith’s demeanor was odd at the last press conference. If you listen to him talk about Drake you would lean to not playing or playing a very limited role. 

The remark about how much to put on his plate is odd. He’s been playing WR his whole college career. If he is a hundred percent let him play. 

Bernhardt time.  Seriously, we have some large receivers ready to go, speedsters like Zaccheaus, and a RB rotation with several receivers in it.   Then, there is the swiss army knife Cordarrelle Patterson.  I think we see Pitts take another step up.  London is a weapon who gives us options in the red zone and that will be missed if he is not ready to go.  But, the Falcons will be ready to take on the Saints and win. 

I hope he’s ok. 

I hope this isn’t like being at the Atlanta airport when they tell you there’s a 15 minute delay and don’t leave the gate. Then another, and next thing it’s been 3 hours. 

If he’s hurt keep him off and let him heal. If he can’t play, don’t trot him out for pictures. Let him heal. 

51 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

I wish Smith was a straight shooter when it comes to this stuff. I know it’s gotta be annoying to constantly be asked the same questions but does he think it gives an advantage to be so mysterious about weather a guy is hurt or not? All of this we will see stuff drives me crazy 

The big reason for being mysterious is to make it harder for the enemy to game plan, I know, but I wonder if it is partly meant to bump up ticket sales just a little bit too. 

Fans want to see Drake play and some might be on the fence about going to the game.  So if I'm selling tickets and he's not playing I'll hold off on saying so for as long as possible.

10 minutes ago, midas_whale said:

The big reason for being mysterious is to make it harder for the enemy to game plan, I know, but I wonder if it is partly meant to bump up ticket sales just a little bit too. 

Fans want to see Drake play and some might be on the fence about going to the game.  So if I'm selling tickets and he's not playing I'll hold off on saying so for as long as possible.

That’s what I’m saying though. There’s no game tape on Drake in the league so the Saints won’t have any NFL tape on him to game plan for. It’s wack to does this to the Fans that support the team. I’m one of the people on the fence about going but I don’t wanna spend $1600 on tickets just to be manipulated on if guys are playing or not lol. I don’t see the big deal on saying if Guys are going to play or not but I’ll just sit back and shut up lol

3 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

That’s what I’m saying though. There’s no game tape on Drake in the league so the Saints won’t have any NFL tape on him to game plan for. It’s wack to does this to the Fans that support the team. I’m one of the people on the fence about going but I don’t wanna spend $1600 on tickets just to be manipulated on if guys are playing or not lol. I don’t see the big deal on saying if Guys are going to play or not but I’ll just sit back and shut up lol

I hear you.  Good point about there not being any tape on him so that part doesn't really matter.  They want you to come spend that money nino!

I fully expect him to play.  I think he will be there as if this never happened.  Unless I'm misreading this, I think he will be a full go.

I would bet he is 95% percent plus.  This didn't strike me as anything other than a bruise.  I could see if he took a blow to the front of the knee and it hyper extended back.  Or if he put down the foot and immediately picked it up like Zach Wilson did or it got twisted and buckled.

13 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

One question though. Are you just going to see drake play? If you're going to see the falcons, you should be entertained regardless. 

13 minutes ago, Williamb said:

One question though. Are you just going to see drake play? If you're going to see the falcons, you should be entertained regardless. 

I would be going to see the Falcons and of course one rookie player isn’t going to make or break the game. I’m more so speaking on the general act of just deceiving the fans. The more I type the more I sound whiny though. It’s more irritating then a real problem. And he’s messing with my fantasy team lol 

2 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

I would be going to see the Falcons and of course one rookie player isn’t going to make or break the game. I’m more so speaking on the general act of just deceiving the fans. The more I type the more I sound whiny though. It’s more irritating then a real problem. And he’s messing with my fantasy team lol 

You must be in a 16 person league or badly drafted WRs if Drake is in your starting lineup lol.

16 minutes ago, Williamb said:

I agree with this. I’m a Falcons fan regardless of who is in the lid. 

But it’s certainly fair to say our first round pick better play or there better be a really good reason. That’s a reasonable point. You and I and we love the team. But you can be sure a lot of people are coming Sunday to see our new future stars including London. If It was my job to sell tickets (that is what Smith’s job is if we’re honest) I’d say he’s starting. 

I think we have a much better and bigger WR room than last year so the game won't hinge on London. But Falcons fans, especially casual fans, don’t need to be yanked around.  We’ll know Sunday if AS is telling the truth. And if Drake London isn’t on the line our first snap DLed 100% needs to ask that question. 

6 minutes ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

You must be in a 16 person league or badly drafted WRs if Drake is in your starting lineup lol.

Every year my homerism makes me believe in at least one Falcon. Drake was my pick this year and I’m thinking about flexing him lol. I got other options but my fandom is making me want to start him but my brain is making me want to park him and Ole Arty Smith ain’t helping my decision one bit

Just now, Nino11 said:

Every year my homerism makes me believe in at least one Falcon. Drake was my pick this year and I’m thinking about flexing him lol. I got other options but my fandom is making me want to start him but my brain is making me want to park him and Ole Arty Smith ain’t helping my decision one bit

I have Drake also, but he is on the bench until he can prove he is an asset. Did the same thing with Chase last year and he won me the league. I think drafting a top WR rookie in the late rounds can be a gem, but never start an unproven rookie unless your league is deep.