Give these coaches a chance

NorthGaBoy

I have wondered for years what motivates our fans to say the things they say. 

I am reading threads and posts that critique the mannerisms of Arthur Smith. 

The Falcons just pulled off a near miracle by assembling this roster from a historically bad position relative to our financial cap.  We watched a preseason where an unusually large number of players flashed talent and skills that I have rarely seen.  We have a staff that seems to be very focused on building a good team and winning games.  After everything I have seen since 1966, I am elated.  I believed there was something very wrong with our coaches the first 35 years.  I never got the feeling Rankin Smith cared about winning.  When we got Dan Reeves, I knew we finally had something.  He suffered a heart attack and was never the same again.  Then, more coaches who made me feel depressed.  It has been so sad to watch the seasons that followed the one year wonders.  And, i remember many of you on here saying you wanted the BS to stop and we needed a guy like Belichick. 

I just read a post where a fan complained that Arthur Smith acts like he thinks he is Bill Belichick.  Oh yeah, and he is abrasive.  He should  be nice to the media.  He should shut his mouth and just not answer the questions. 

Have you ever hired a lawyer?  Never hire a nice guy.  They lose.  Do you know why the great sheriffs in the old west were often outlaws at periods? 

I don't care if our coaches and players have smoke coming out their ears, flames shoot from their mouths, and lightening bolts seem to follow closely behind them.  I want to see a winning legacy begin.

Arthur Smith, you be Arthur Smith.  We need you.

Edited by NorthGaBoy

Arthur is one of very few actual head coaches this franchise has had.  Dan Reeves and Mike Smith are the other two.  Professionals all.  I like Arthur.  He is in command.  Something we are not used to in Atlanta.  We have had yes men and holistic buddy buddies for too many years.  

The problem is Smith and Pees and Fontenot are trying to change the entire culture of this franchise. It's been a soft, coddly team for a LONG time. That starts in the building but it's also part of how the media interacts with the team and how they disseminate information to the fans. It's hate week and you want to ask me about ****** the backup quarterback!? And you wonder why the fans are confused? 

Smith has a great sense of humor, but he's also going to hold everyone accountable. Look at the Steelers. Tomlin is the same way. It's not just Belichick. It's championship caliber coaching. Brendan Staley out in LA has those guys the same way and when people ask him why he goes for it on fourth down so much, he's direct and blunt as well. 

I love it. We need that. We need him and the team to back it up though for it to sink in. Wins. That's all that matters. But once they start to come, the media will back off and learn to not **** with Smith and the fans honestly will learn to back this team a little bit differently. We won't be a soft team. From the coaches to the players to the media to the fans. 

53 minutes ago, vel said:

The problem is Smith and Pees and Fontenot are trying to change the entire culture of this franchise. It's been a soft, coddly team for a LONG time. That starts in the building but it's also part of how the media interacts with the team and how they disseminate information to the fans. It's hate week and you want to ask me about ****** the backup quarterback!? And you wonder why the fans are confused? 

Smith has a great sense of humor, but he's also going to hold everyone accountable. Look at the Steelers. Tomlin is the same way. It's not just Belichick. It's championship caliber coaching. Brendan Staley out in LA has those guys the same way and when people ask him why he goes for it on fourth down so much, he's direct and blunt as well. 

I love it. We need that. We need him and the team to back it up though for it to sink in. Wins. That's all that matters. But once they start to come, the media will back off and learn to not **** with Smith and the fans honestly will learn to back this team a little bit differently. We won't be a soft team. From the coaches to the players to the media to the fans. 

ABSOLUTELY.  Our culture was rancid and weak.  Been that way for decades.  We have never been committed to winning and building that culture continuously.  Font comes from a team who likes to win at all costs.  AS comes from a team that has high standards.  Our standards have been **** for years.  Now, they are building that commitment to winning.  The culture shift is the most painful part.  We have been used to suck for so long that we lash out at anything that does not embrace that.  

5 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Writing a post about the fact that I don't like the way AS acts towards the media soooooo Weak! It's actually quite comical.

It is not about you, BFF.  I have read no less than a dozen posters complaining about this.  You stated how you feel.  Now, I am sooooo weak to state how I feel.  Gotcha.  Not about you.

19 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

ABSOLUTELY.  Our culture was rancid and weak.  Been that way for decades.  We have never been committed to winning and building that culture continuously.  Font comes from a team who likes to win at all costs.  AS comes for a team that has high standards.  Our standards have been **** for years.  Now, they are building that commitment to winning.  The culture shift is the most painful part.  We have been used to suck for so long that we lash out at anything that does not embrace than.  

Simple as that. I've disliked our media for a while because it's more about being snarky and contrarian rather than writing good stories and product. DLed is a joke. Jeff Schultz and Josh Kendall are in that snarky mode. They'd rather be anti and frankly come off as they'd rather write for other teams. RIP to Vaughn McClure but I know for a fact he didn't like writing for the Falcons and it came out in his reporting. 

We have guys like Mike Rothstein who actually do good work now at ESPN and are responding to Smith positively. I think the rest will get on board once we start winning. 

Smith reminds me of myself a lot. I have a great sense of humor and very sarcastic to the point you will miss if I'm joking or not. But when it comes to football, I want to put dlcks in the dirt. Every game. Hearing how bad my team is going to be or how I need to be looking forward to next year when this year hasn't even started kills me. 

Fans can be checked out all they want. Smith isn't and he isn't going to let this team be either. 

10 minutes ago, vel said:

Simple as that. I've disliked our media for a while because it's more about being snarky and contrarian rather than writing good stories and product. DLed is a joke. Jeff Schultz and Josh Kendall are in that snarky mode. They'd rather be anti and frankly come off as they'd rather write for other teams. RIP to Vaughn McClure but I know for a fact he didn't like writing for the Falcons and it came out in his reporting. 

Man, John Chuckery has a whole radio show dedicated to the snarky “I’m smart and everyone else is dumb” model of reporting. If I was that dude he asks to question him (you know how he does — “ask me how many wins the Falcons have since 2017!” and this poor dude has to actually ask him….), well, Chuckery wouldn’t be with us right now. I couldn’t do it. 

When your best shot is “I’m brilliant and you’re an idiot,” and you’re writing about football and the guy you think is an idiot is coaching in the NFL, you’ve lost me. And that is a too-prevalent model these days. 

15 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Writing a post about the fact that I don't like the way AS acts towards the media soooooo Weak! It's actually quite comical.

Wait a sec. Are you volunteering that you’re one of the sensitive types around here?

Did I miss your name being mentioned or something? ( I can def miss stuff, I’m good at it.)

Or are you sort of being paranoid? Haha.

So hypothetically speaking… if you stole a lollipop from a 3 year old kid, and NothGaBoy posted a topic saying “man I can’t stand people who steal candy from small children”, would you log in & post up a confession?  😆🤗

27 minutes ago, vel said:

We have guys like Mike Rothstein who actually do good work now at ESPN and are responding to Smith positively. I think the rest will get on board once we start winning. 

Smith reminds me of myself a lot. I have a great sense of humor and very sarcastic to the point you will miss if I'm joking or not. But when it comes to football, I want to put dlcks in the dirt. Every game. Hearing how bad my team is going to be or how I need to be looking forward to next year when this year hasn't even started kills me. 

Fans can be checked out all they want. Smith isn't and he isn't going to let this team be either. 

The media have contributed mightily to our national perception as well.  In days past, the home town rags would write positive items, or at least being objective in their criticism.  Now, the media is click bait and writing garbage for the weak minded most often.

14 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Man, John Chuckery has a whole radio show dedicated to the snarky “I’m smart and everyone else is dumb” model of reporting. If I was that dude he asks to question him (you know how he does — “ask me how many wins the Falcons have since 2017!” and this poor dude has to actually ask him….), well, Chuckery wouldn’t be with us right now. I couldn’t do it. 

When your best shot is “I’m brilliant and you’re an idiot,” and you’re writing about football and the guy you think is an idiot is coaching in the NFL, you’ve lost me. And that is a too-prevalent model these days. 

The ability to talk **** incognito from behind the safety of a mic in an unnamed studio/basement/mom's spare room area.  

33 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Wait a sec. Are you volunteering that you’re one of the sensitive types around here?

Did I miss your name being mentioned or something? ( I can def miss stuff, I’m good at it.)

Or are you sort of being paranoid? Haha.

So hypothetically speaking… if you stole a lollipop from a 3 year old kid, and NothGaBoy posted a topic saying “man I can’t stand people who steal candy from small children”, would you log in & post up a confession?  😆🤗

Far from it. When I had just written a post, and I am directly quoted in the OP's thread, it's not coincidence. Nice try though...

7 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

You specifically quoted things that I said, so deny it all you want. So lame...

Same things others are saying.  You were not the first.  But, you made up your mind and then selected your facts.  That is on you.  I do not know why you need this to be about you, but go ahead.  I am the OP. I know why I wrote it.  I know the posts I was thinking of.  But, if you understand my motives better than me, then please continue.

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

Arthur is one of very few actual head coaches this franchise has had.  Dan Reeves and Mike Smith are the other two.  Professionals all.  I like Arthur.  He is in command.  Something we are not used to in Atlanta.  We have had yes men and holistic buddy buddies for too many years.  

I'd add Leeman Bennett to that list, his only issue was he worked for the smiths....

10 minutes ago, NorthGaBoy said:

Same things others are saying.  You were not the first.  But, you made up your mind and then selected your facts.  That is on you.  I do not know why you need this to be about you, but go ahead.  I am the OP. I know why I wrote it.  I know the posts I was thinking of.  But, if you understand my motives better than me, then please continue.

Sure pal. I don't believe in coincidences, but you do you...

I know the "Earn your Spot" video is a get hyped for the season ting the media team put together but it is a good synopsis of what the coaches and front office are trying to do with the organization as a whole. Its like turning around an Aircraft carrier. You gotta stop that soft-*** momentum that has plagued this franchise for a long time and get it going the other way. 

I love Coach's no nonsense approach to the media. I am not letting you talk bad about this team! PERIOD!!!

I don't know how many games our team will win this year but I bet they will be a whole lot more fun to watch