Where are the Falcons headed under Arthur Smith? ‘We’ve got something to prove’ - The Athletic

Goober Pyle

I'll post what I thought were the best parts of the article and summarize the rest. 

“We do have a philosophy which I won’t get into in terms of our process and how we go about player evaluation and acquiring players, building a team,” vice president of player personnel Kyle Smith said. “There are a lot of different ways to do it. There are a lot of different ways to win. There are a lot of different ways to build. We believe in our process, and what we’re going to do, and how we’re going to build this thing.”

The end goal, they are happy to shout. That’s wins, not draft picks, even in this rebuilding season that begins Sunday when the Falcons host the New Orleans Saints at 1 p.m. at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. And it’s certainly not about “stats,” a word Smith pronounces derisively without fail.

“You get selfish coaches and selfish players and they are worried about stats,” said Arthur Smith, who is entering his second season as head coach. “That may get you some jobs, may get you some love on the internet, but we want to win championships.”

--The article states that the Falcons have a 43.8 winning percentage since joining the league in 1966.

--Kyle Smith is quoted as saying that the new staff knew it would be a challenge to turn the organization around, but that was part of what made it exciting.

--The Falcons examined other rebuilds, but doesn't plan to carbon copy any of them. No one organization has the right path to a championship.

After the Falcons’ most recent roster cutdown, only 13 players remain in the organization from former head coach Dan Quinn’s time, which ended only two seasons ago.

“It’s a completely different team,” said wide receiver Olamide Zaccheaus, a rare Falcons veteran with three years of experience in Atlanta.

The longest-tenured Falcon — left tackle Jake Matthews, the No. 6 pick in the 2014 draft — said he is a fan of the new plan so far.

“I’ve got nothing but good things to say about the organization now and where we’re headed. I like where we’re building to,” he said. “I love Art as a head coach. I like the mentality and the attitude he brings every day. I truly have no complaints. I’m very optimistic about what we’re building and what we’re going to be.”

--Matthews and Jarret received extensions as "rewards" for their play on the field, but also for leadership off of it. 

--Arthur Smith has made it clear that he is going to wage a war on "entitlement" and that the Falcons will be very judicious about long term deals. AS says you never want to get complacent and that the objective is to keep churning competition. 

--The article mentions the 64.5 million in dead cap with 64 million coming off for next year (Ryan, Julio, Dante Fowler).

Arthur Smith fights what he calls “narratives” outside the building as enthusiastically as he fights entitlement inside it. The idea that the Falcons’ heavy dead-money anchor means they can’t compete fits into that category, he believes, calling it “laughable groupthink.”

“In my biased opinion, this is the most competitive league in all of professional sports. Things can change on a dime for you,” he said. “If you buy into groupthink narratives, one way or another, shame on you. The hardest thing is to be objective, have perspective and continue to make progress. That’s all we try to do, make progress.”

--The jump between Shanahan's offense from year 1 to year 2 is mentioned and how the Falcons are counting on the continuity of AS calling the plays will hopefully improve the offense. 

“Even going into my ninth year, I feel way more comfortable with the scheme and what we’re trying to do each play than I did last year,” Matthews said. “As last season went on, I thought we got more comfortable and built more toward what we wanted to look like. You approach things differently when you’ve done them 100 times versus 1,000 times. What’s the design of this play? Where are we expecting it to hit? The more reps you get at it, it becomes more and more second nature.”

--The Falcons added 3 LB's to help with the pass rush - Carter, Ebiketie, Malone. Added Casey Heyward to help with the secondary.

“We need players who are taking charge, and they are,” Pees said. “That’s what I like about this young group. They are starting to take charge out there and get after each other a little bit. When somebody doesn’t do it, you take them out and put somebody else back in. Too many times in the NFL everything is based on salaries. I don’t have anything to do with the salary cap. All I know is the best 11 guys are going to go out on the field. If one of those guys making a lot of money (isn’t playing), tough.”

--Pees comments are not a reference to Deion Jones, however, he has a 20 million cap hit for this year. Trading him during the season adds 10.6 million to the dead cap. Cutting him would add 24.3 million to the dead cap.

Given all the offseason shuffling and question marks it’s no wonder The Athletic’s expected win total for the Falcons is 5.8, which would be a step back from last year’s 7-10 record. Regardless, Arthur Smith will right along be pushing back at the perceptions of his team while at the same time using them to motivate it.

“We’ve got a chip on our shoulder. We’ve got something to prove,” he said. “We don’t care about the peripheral opponents or what they say. They can rank us the 40th roster and the 42nd coaching staff out of 32 teams, we don’t care. We’re going to go compete.”

1 hour ago, Goober Pyle said:

That’s what I like about this young group. They are starting to take charge out there and get after each other a little bit. When somebody doesn’t do it, you take them out and put somebody else back in. Too many times in the NFL everything is based on salaries. I don’t have anything to do with the salary cap. All I know is the best 11 guys are going to go out on the field. If one of those guys making a lot of money (isn’t playing), tough.”