'Preparing for week one' Arthur Smith | Press Conference | Atlanta Falcons

pren226

39 minutes ago, pren226 said:

Coach checked Shultz around 6:40 and you can tell he was butthurt when he asked another question at 7:56 lol

This non-respect for Mariota in the sports press is crazy. MM has the opportunity to shut them all up come Sunday. It is nice to see the huge respect and interest in our third round pick Ridder though. But the total overlooking of Mariota as having any kind of future as a starter or answer in Atlanta is disrespectful and even rude at this point.

6 hours ago, nutsandbolts said:

This non-respect for Mariota in the sports press is crazy. MM has the opportunity to shut them all up come Sunday. It is nice to see the huge respect and interest in our third round pick Ridder though. But the total overlooking of Mariota as having any kind of future as a starter or answer in Atlanta is disrespectful and even rude at this point.

Good thoughtful post. Agreed.

6 hours ago, nutsandbolts said:

I'm glad to see Smith vehemently defend Marcus. That sort of leadership is paramount in team building.

I really don’t think the question about evaluating Ridder was as out of line as people are making it seem. I get it, MM is our starting QB, but Ridder was drafted w/ a day-2 draft pick for a reason.

It’s fair for people to wonder what the plan is for him moving forward, especially considering how good he looked in the preseason combined with the fact that MM is on a short term contract.

5 hours ago, Snafu said:

I really don’t think the question about evaluating Ridder was as out of line as people are making it seem. I get it, MM is our starting QB, but Ridder was drafted w/ a day-2 draft pick for a reason.

It’s fair for people to wonder what the plan is for him moving forward, especially considering how good he looked in the preseason combined with the fact that MM is on a short term contract.

I mean, it's a question designed to fabricate QB controversy where there is none. It completely discredits Mariota as a long term option. Schultz still published an article off Smith's response, and no matter how even keel a more direct response could've been, I guarantee he would've blown it out of proportion about what we're doing "next year" instead of focusing on next week (like AS wants). These media guys got that vulture culture.

6 hours ago, Snafu said:

The premise of the question featured at least three assumed points and was out of line for a press conference largely about the Falcons coming up on the season opener against the Saints in MBS. The premise of Shultz's question as I frame it: Since you and the Falcons don't stand a chance to be good this year (1), and Marcus Mariota is not and will never be the answer here in Atlanta (2), and you are going to have a high pick in the 2023 draft (3), what is your plan to evaluate Desmon Ridder to know if you can pass on QB in the 2023 draft?

To Jeff, the 2022 season is nothing but a long pre-season like campaign to figure out how to position us best for the top overall draft pick in 2023. 

7 hours ago, Snafu said:

I'm 100% there with you.

NO long-term starting NFL QB makes 18 million over 2 years besides (maybe) a rookie on his initial deal.  Mariota is clearly a veteran, but in classic "stop-gap" position.  We all know Ridder needs to be evaluated against live, regular season, NFL first team players.

Sure, Schultz wanted or would have liked to have a number of games we can expect to see Ridder play.  Smith, being a coach, isn't going to give that.  He can't signal to Mariota that at some point, you will be benched just because of the situation here in ATL.  No quicker way to lose a guy/team.  So I don't mind not going down that road, but don't try and play the reporter like he is just a Twitter/Fantasy Football hack.

Shultz has a job to do.  Get the answers to some tough questions.  We all have seen coaches that just have no clue, no plan.  Not saying Smith is in that boat, but that is why these questions get asked.  Smith and this organization did a 180 on our QB from last year.  Wasn't it in October he was talking about a guy being "Criminally underrated" that was gone less than 5 months later?

Respect for not "showing" your hand, but don't play like the question was stupid/out of bounds.