DL Khyiris Tonga to Practice Squad

GrimeyKidd

Chicago Bears 2022 player preview: Khyiris Tonga

BY WILL DEWITT  JUNE 20, 2022 

Khyiris Tonga exceeded expectations as a seventh-round rookie nose tackle for the Chicago Bears last season.

He was able to do so by making the most of his opportunities. Tonga started to make a name for himself during last year’s offseason program when former Bear Eddie Goldman didn’t attend. He also had himself a sound training camp and preseason, which propelled him to make the 53-man roster.

The 250th overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft appeared in 15 games in his debut season and was a solid depth piece in the defensive line rotation.

2021 Stats

Game Game Pass Tack Tack Tack
Year G GS Sk Comb MTkl MTkl%
2021 15 2 0.0 24 4 14.3%

Advanced Stat to Know: Tonga had the best average depth of tackle (AVDT) on the Bears’ defensive line last season of those that played at least 130 snaps with an AVDT of 2.3. (PFF)

Best Game of 2021

Tonga’s best game came in Week 3 against the Cleveland Browns where he played a season-high 29 snaps. He finished the game with a career-best four tackles, all of which constituted as stops for the Browns’ offense.

According to PFF, a “stop” is: “A play where a defender makes a tackle, and the location of the tackle means the play is a successful one for the defense.”

Biggest Question

Can Khyiris Tonga adapt and become a fit in the Chicago Bears’ new defense?

Tonga will be asked to play a different role compared to last season. A nose tackle’s responsibilities are different in the team’s new 4-3 scheme compared to the old 3-4 defense.

Instead of being asked to eat double teams and allow the linebackers behind him to flow to the football, Tonga will be expected to shed blocks and make more plays himself.

Simply put, Tonga will have more responsibilities and be asked to make plays in the backfield.

That will be new for the second-year defensive tackle that only had one QB pressure and one tackle for loss his entire rookie season.

He played the run well last season, but he will need to become more of a pass-rushing threat too in order to take the next step.

Can Tonga evolve his game to align with the Bears’ new scheme and remain a part of the rotation upfront?

That’s what Coach Eberflus and his staff are waiting to find out.

https://allchgo.com/2022/06/20/chicago-bears-2022-player-preview-khyiris-tonga/

57 minutes ago, theProf said:

Chicago Bears 2022 player preview: Khyiris Tonga

BY WILL DEWITT  JUNE 20, 2022 

Khyiris Tonga exceeded expectations as a seventh-round rookie nose tackle for the Chicago Bears last season.

He was able to do so by making the most of his opportunities. Tonga started to make a name for himself during last year’s offseason program when former Bear Eddie Goldman didn’t attend. He also had himself a sound training camp and preseason, which propelled him to make the 53-man roster.

The 250th overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft appeared in 15 games in his debut season and was a solid depth piece in the defensive line rotation.

2021 Stats

Game Game Pass Tack Tack Tack
Year G GS Sk Comb MTkl MTkl%
2021 15 2 0.0 24 4 14.3%

Advanced Stat to Know: Tonga had the best average depth of tackle (AVDT) on the Bears’ defensive line last season of those that played at least 130 snaps with an AVDT of 2.3. (PFF)

Best Game of 2021

Tonga’s best game came in Week 3 against the Cleveland Browns where he played a season-high 29 snaps. He finished the game with a career-best four tackles, all of which constituted as stops for the Browns’ offense.

According to PFF, a “stop” is: “A play where a defender makes a tackle, and the location of the tackle means the play is a successful one for the defense.”

Biggest Question

Can Khyiris Tonga adapt and become a fit in the Chicago Bears’ new defense?

Tonga will be asked to play a different role compared to last season. A nose tackle’s responsibilities are different in the team’s new 4-3 scheme compared to the old 3-4 defense.

Instead of being asked to eat double teams and allow the linebackers behind him to flow to the football, Tonga will be expected to shed blocks and make more plays himself.

Simply put, Tonga will have more responsibilities and be asked to make plays in the backfield.

That will be new for the second-year defensive tackle that only had one QB pressure and one tackle for loss his entire rookie season.

He played the run well last season, but he will need to become more of a pass-rushing threat too in order to take the next step.

Can Tonga evolve his game to align with the Bears’ new scheme and remain a part of the rotation upfront?

That’s what Coach Eberflus and his staff are waiting to find out.

https://allchgo.com/2022/06/20/chicago-bears-2022-player-preview-khyiris-tonga/

Sounds like he didn't fit Eberflus' defensive scheme. He looks like he fits Pees' though. 

We finally got our true, 2 gap NT. This is a really big deal as it relates to early downs. We needed this.

I would expect him to get called up soon, and play significant snaps for us after he gets up to speed while on the PS. 

This is exactly what we needed, a true 3-4 NT to clog up the middle on running downs, eat up two blockers to free others around him up. Going to be much harder to double and triple team Grady Jarrett on early downs.

17 minutes ago, gazoo said:

We finally got our true, 2 gap NT. This is a really big deal as it relates to early downs. We needed this.

I would expect him to get called up soon, and play significant snaps for us after he gets up to speed while on the PS. 

This is exactly what we needed, a true 3-4 NT to clog up the middle on running downs, eat up two blockers to free others around him up. Going to be much harder to double and triple team Grady Jarrett on early downs.

That’s why I was dying for us to take him last year. He has great potential to be that bully in the middle!

13 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

That’s why I was dying for us to take him last year. He has great potential to be that bully in the middle!

We’ve got guys all around him who can make plays, his job is to take up two blockers on running downs, clog the A gaps up, and allow others more freedom to make plays.  

Having a massive NT also takes some of the heavy lifting off the others like Grady to keep them fresh later in the game. I’m surprised he didn’t already make the roster but I suppose they want him get up to speed on the playbook while on PS. He’ll be called up within a few games I’ll bet.

These are the kind of under the radar signings that really, really help the team. He likely won’t have big stats, but his presence opens things up for the playmakers. Even the Linebackers are helped by this, often freeing them up to run free to the ball carrier.

26 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

That's right, it was you that was talking about him. Yeah, you're the reason I'm thrilled with this pick up then because I know you don't like everyone and everything. So yeah, they need to move him to the 53 quick. 

8 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

That's right, it was you that was talking about him. Yeah, you're the reason I'm thrilled with this pick up then because I know you don't like everyone and everything. So yeah, they need to move him to the 53 quick. 

Thats Good Robert Deniro GIFThat’s officer thinking, right there. 

8 minutes ago, autigerfan said:

Seems like he was productive when on the field last year.  Hopefully he is a victim of the scheme change and we can find a gem.  

This is my thought.  Odd man out scenario for sure.  He's young, plays the run well, and can take up the double teams.