Atlanta Falcons found a bargain in Marcus Mariota this off-season

TheRisen999

https://bloggingdirty.com/2022/09/02/atlanta-falcons-found-bargain-marcus-mariota-off-season/

by Nick Halden

While the Atlanta Falcons might have downgraded at quarterback this off-season the team did find a bargain in Marcus Mariota. Mariota is set to count only as a $4.2-million dollar cap hit for a team that is dealing with a massive $64-million dollar dead cap hit this season. This season Atlanta was forced to shop for bargains in free agency and they have found just that in Mariota.

Marcus showed better decision-making and an impressive ability to run this Atlanta offense in the preseason. While it was in meaningless snaps it wasn’t simply a product of poor competition but an indication of the season to come for Mariota and the Falcons.

While Mariota isn’t talented enough to drag this Atlanta roster into playoff contention he is a far better quarterback than many have given him credit for. The Titans teams he was given early in his career weren’t nearly as talented as the teams Ryan Tannehill has had over the last two years.

Mariota has learned from his time with the Raiders sitting behind Derek Carr and having plenty of time to get fully healthy. Now he has the chance to remind the league why he was the 2nd overall pick in the draft and why the Titans made the wrong decision turning to Tannehill.

Is there anyone that truly believes with the same rosters Mariota couldn’t accomplish exactly what Tannehill has over the last two seasons? The same Tannehill who has shrunk in the biggest moments turning the ball over and failing to live up to his regular season numbers. These were the same complaints that led the Titans to pivot from Mariota to Tannehill in the first place.

While benching Mariota at the time was understandable it is interesting in retrospect to consider how far Mariota could have taken the Titans if he was given A.J. Brown, Julio Jones, and the ferocious defense Tannehill has had.

Mariota is going to make the most of his second chance in Atlanta and prove himself to be one of the best bargain signings in recent history. His talent and the targets Atlanta has given him have set him up to take the leap forward he never was able to with Tennessee.

I wouldn’t agree that Mariota isn’t talented enough to drag our team into the playoffs. If the Joe Flacco’s and Brad Johnson’s of the world can do it why not Mariota? I know they had dominant defenses but all we need our defense to do is be respectable. We have enough unpredictability and skill on offense to be a problem for opposing teams if we can be consistent.

Edited by TheRisen999

20 minutes ago, TheRisen999 said:

I wouldn’t agree that Mariota isn’t talented enough to drag our team into the playoffs. If the Joe Flacco’s and Brad Johnson’s of the world can do it why not Mariota? I know they had dominant defenses but all we need our defense to do is be respectable. We have enough unpredictability and skill on offense to be a problem for opposing teams if we can be consistent.

They both had historic/to top of the league defenses with tons of stars and "respectable" middle of the league type of offenses.

I get your point kind of but unless you think this offense is gonna be a better than a "respectable" middle of the league type of offense the comparisons betray your point. 

33 minutes ago, TheRisen999 said:

You forgot the greatest worst SB winning QB of all time......Trent Dilfer.

Still the only SB winning QB to be replaced right after and not because of retirement.

That is historically all-time greatness of terrible right there.

I think it is a win for both sides. The Falcons have at least a solution for this year at qb and Mariota has a chance to show that he belongs in the league and that he can be a quality starter. If he succeeds, he’ll make a lot more money in the future - here or elsewhere. 

Edited by BtK

9 hours ago, TheRisen999 said:

Pretty sure Flacco and Brad got dragged into the playoffs by their team, not the other way around. 

13 hours ago, Moist Words said:

They both had historic/to top of the league defenses with tons of stars and "respectable" middle of the league type of offenses.

I get your point kind of but unless you think this offense is gonna be a better than a "respectable" middle of the league type of offense the comparisons betray your point. 

I think this offense could be exactly that. If our backups can put up almost 30pts a game why couldn’t our starters end up being even more dynamic?

Edited by TheRisen999

8 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Pretty sure Flacco and Brad got dragged into the playoffs by their team, not the other way around. 

Either way.. they weren’t top tier and still managed to get a Chip. I’d said Mariota is way better than both of those guys and has all the weapons in the world at his disposal.. why couldn’t it happen the other way around with a competent defense and an above average offense?

Edited by TheRisen999

14 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Fails: 

Declaring MM1 isn’t ‘talented enough’ to put us in contention for a playoff spot, and mentioning current Julio Jones as some kind of asset. 

It's funny.. I kept seeing Julio in my fantasy draft yesterday, and I kept passing him up. Hoping that doesn't backfire.

Marcus Mariota seemed one step away from a Josh Rosen kind of career and now dinner is tasting a lot better for him. From Arthur Smith's perspective, a blow up with the Deshaun Watson trade left us with neither Ryan or Watson and we seemed a team in a front office wreck and with a total rebuild with the future placed on the 2023 QB draft bonanza. Dinner is tasting a lot better for Arthur Smith now too,

This could just be one of those destiny moments for a battered franchise. Kind of like how under the career skin of Nick Foles was the perfect QB for the Eagles to earn their one and only Lombardi.

In any event, who can protest that dinner is somehow tasting a lot better than what we deserved?

12 hours ago, Moist Words said:

If the defense is at least average, Mariota can get a team into the playoffs. He's done it before, he can do it again.

58 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

If the defense is at least average, Mariota can get a team into the playoffs. He's done it before, he can do it again.

This is accurate.  We aren't a Super Bowl winning team.  We aren't the worst team in the league.  There's a lot of green grass between those two positions, and the defining factors will be how the defense and run game develop. If the defense is solid and the run game is respectable -- neither has to be top 5 or even top 10 -- Mariota can string together some wins.  And if you do that, a playoff berth is not an outrageous result.  We were in the hunt in December last season with a far worse roster overall.

I'm not saying it will happen.  Just that saying it's not going to happen is pretty silly.  We haven't even played a game yet.  Beat the Saints, beat the Bucs, and who knows what happens after that?  Confidence is a funny thing in the NFL.  And seasons can be built upon, so even if we miss the playoffs, we did the same in 1997 and went to the Super Bowl in 1998.  With Chris Chandler, who isn't exactly in the same discussion talent-wise as a guy like Mariota.