Three reasons the Falcons will be better than people think

HASHBROWN3

Nobody expects the Falcons to be good this season. Their win total was set at a paltry 4.5 by Vegas, and not only that, it’s the most bet on under by the public. USA Today predicted the Falcons to go 2-15 this year, and CBS Sports ranked Atlanta’s roster last in terms of talent. Admittedly, it will take a miracle for the Falcons to sneak their way into the playoffs. The pieces just aren’t there after trading Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. With that being said, this team has enough to soar past their projected win total and shock a lot of people in the process.

Mobile Quarterbacks

The league has become obsessed with mobile quarterbacks, and while I don’t think signal callers must run a 4.7 40-yard dash to be successful, there are situations, like in Atlanta, where it can be incredibly advantageous. Last season, the Falcons had arguably the worst offensive line, particularly when it came to protecting the passer, and they did next to nothing to upgrade this offseason.

There’s no doubt that going from Matt Ryan to Marcus Mariota or Desmond Ridder is a substantial downgrade. However, Arthur Smith may be able to get a little more out of a guy that can move behind a line that is incapable of keeping pass rushers in front of them for more than a couple of seconds. Our own Alex Lord talked about this in a recent article:

The Falcons use of their quarterbacks’ mobility is another dynamic element Smith will have at his disposal. Considering how poor Atlanta’s offensive line is at protecting the passer, the ability to play off-script will be vital for any success in 2022.

With Smith’s creativity, there’s a decent chance this year’s offense is better than last’s with Ryan under center.

An elite cornerback tandem

The Falcons can be mocked in a lot of areas, but nobody can talk down on their cornerback duo. A.J. Terrell is one of the top ascending talents at the position and was rewarded with second-team All-Pro honors last year. Opponents intentionally worked the side of the field opposite Terrell for 60 minutes, but they won’t have that luxury this season with Casey Hayward now lined up across from him. Hayward may not be an All-Pro anymore, but he’s still the best cornerback Terrell has played with in his career. Dean Pees should have a lot of flexibility with his defense, with those two manning the perimeter.

Second year in new systems

Completely integrating new systems in the NFL is incredibly difficult. Even the best coordinators have trouble doing so in just one offseason; look no further than how the Falcons fared in their first season with Kyle Shanahan as offensive coordinator.

The Falcons completely overhauled their coaching staff last offseason. Arthur Smith took over the offensive play-calling duties, and Dean Pees is now running the defense. It usually takes offenses a couple of years to fully sync up under a new coordinator, and the difference from year to year can be substantial. Meanwhile, Pees has talked on several occasions about how he only called a fraction of the plays he has in his arsenal, and he expects that to change this season.

This article first appeared on SportsTalkATL and was syndicated with permission.

10 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Beats the heck out of nothing else to read.

this one ain’t so bad anyways. Stop whining.

🙄

When you have 10 out of 21 threads on page one, you're pushing legitimate conversations out of the eyes of forum members.

Why not just make a megathread with all of their posts in one thread? Most of this garbage is just the same article re-worded a number of different ways.

If you want my honest opinion, I'm not a fan of people posting articles on here anyway. I've done freelance writing before and posts like these just copy/pasting someone else's work can really make or break them financially. I know in 2021 they stopped allowing the posting of paid articles, but I wish they'd do it for all of them honestly.

13 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Beats the heck out of nothing else to read.

this one ain’t so bad anyways. Stop whining.

🙄

Feels like all three reasons are pretty legit also. Our no.2 cb got toasted a lot last season whilst Terrell had quietly a great year. Casey is an improvement here for sure.
Ryan’s lack of mobility in the pocket was noticeable let alone his inability to scramble for yards. These QBs could even have set designed runs in the playbook - something that was ripped out of Ryan’s playbook years ago. 

we saw with the falcons in 2016 what the difference in the 2nd year of a system can do. However i do feel this will be limited as we are churning the roster so much compared to 2016. Still it won’t hurt.

5 minutes ago, Banana Bandit said:

When you have 10 out of 21 threads on page one, you're pushing legitimate conversations out of the eyes of forum members.

Why not just make a megathread with all of their posts in one thread? Most of this garbage is just the same article re-worded a number of different ways.

If you want my honest opinion, I'm not a fan of people posting articles on here anyway. I've done freelance writing before and posts like these just copy/pasting someone else's work can really make or break them financially. I know in 2021 they stopped allowing the posting of paid articles, but I wish they'd do it for all of them honestly.

This just becomes a central place to source articles related to the falcons. I prefer the articles to half the topics posted by posters on here. There are some great posters on here who I religiously read and others…..

if you don’t like it don’t view and don’t feel the need to comment - these articles can all be sourced free on the internet anyway so your overall point is moot anyway. 

1 minute ago, primetime said:

This just becomes a central place to source articles related to the falcons. I prefer the articles to half the topics posted by posters on here. There are some great posters on here who I religiously read and others…..

if you don’t like it don’t view and don’t feel the need to comment - these articles can all be sourced free on the internet anyway so your overall point is moot anyway. 

The point isn't moot. These authors, no matter how bad the content is, get paid based on clicks. Someone copying and pasting their work to subvert that click is quite literally taking food off of their table. Having been a freelance writer, and still doing some freelance writing, it's not fair for them, and obviously someone writing the paid articles complained to the Falcons at some point in time because the decision to stop paid articles being posted here came directly from them, per the stickied thread.

9 minutes ago, Banana Bandit said:

Go write an article & post it up my man.

Just trying to put fresh squeezed juice out for people to sip on.

If you’ve been here much, you’d already know how I’ve personally admonished half these articles saying how lots of it is nothing more than rewarmed leftover meatloaf with a new garnish.

No conspiracy here buddy. 😛

14 minutes ago, primetime said:

Good post.

A very positive article considering almost every other sports media outlet has been maligning the Falcons. Ryan and Julio are gone. The team is handcuffed this season with an unseemly $60+ million in dead cap. The talent is being harshly judged as suspect, if not outright bottom-tier.

The OL has undergone very little change and was abysmal last season. Toss in one of the toughest schedules of any team, it would certainly seem to be the perfect recipe for 2-15 and the #1 pick in the '23 draft. Not the kind of boxes you can be checking and expect the national media to crown you.

But as the article points out, this offense fits well with both our QB's, the scheme and either QB will help the OL with their mobility. Both QB's also have the ability to tote the rock on their own as an extra weapon. The CB position is going to be solid.

The pass rush and DL are still suspect but this unit has gotten some upgrades in the draft and FA that should help. All in all, the writer is correct ~ there are multiple reasons why this team could be a surprise. I've seen enough to know they aren't going to lose 15 games and will be a fun team to watch and cheer for. 

3 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

But as the article points out, this offense fits well with both our QB's, the scheme and either QB will help the OL with their mobility and ability to tote the rock on their own as an extra weapon. The CB position is going to be solid.

With the hard play action with legit RBs, in tandem with the mobile QBs rolling out and the big box-out type receivers (Okay, Bern, you too.), this offense will be hard to predict for defenses.

57 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

If you’ve been here much, you’d already know how I’ve personally admonished half these articles saying how lots of it is nothing more than rewarmed leftover meatloaf with a new garnish.

If you've even admonished half the articles, why bother posting them then?

I gotta say, these yard barker articles have been pretty bad and I find to have no substance. Surprisingly this one isn't bad though.

3 minutes ago, andrews31cain21 said:

Dammit Hash.... Quit posting anything positive about this team! We need doom and gloom on here..before the season starts.  How dare you /purp

Well, to be quite frank. Copy/pasting articles is copyright theft and it shouldn't be done on here or anywhere. I'm shocked that the Atlanta Falcons still allow it at all due to the potential legal headache it could cause.

It's hard enough being a freelance writer without having your work stolen and your clicks taken away.

Edited by Banana Bandit

2 minutes ago, Banana Bandit said:

Well, to be quite frank. Copy/pasting articles is copyright theft and it shouldn't be done on here or anywhere. I'm shocked that the Atlanta Falcons still allow it at all due to the potential legal headache it could cause.

It's hard enough being a freelance writer without having your work stolen and your clicks taken away.

I just clicked the article..

2 minutes ago, Banana Bandit said:

🤦‍♀️

Well if no one knows the article exists....then how can they get their clicks if its not posted?   The OP put the link in the thread...its not like he just copied and pasted without a link... have a drink dude...I suggest a Tito's and Tonic...diet tonic if your watching Carbs

Edited by andrews31cain21

1 hour ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I just put that troll on ignore until he gets banned and comes back under yet another name. When he does, I will just flush the toilet a second time allowing him to rejoin his ilk. Repeat as much as necessary :)

10 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I just put that troll on ignore until he gets banned and comes back under yet another name. When he does, I will just flush the toilet a second time allowing him to rejoin his ilk. Repeat as much as necessary :)

Yes, because asking why multiple writers work is allowed to be stolen and reposted on here in full is trolling. Great.

Glad you're okay with affecting these writers' bottom line. Might as well start uploading full movies to the board as well, right?

46 minutes ago, Norwood all the way! said:

If you've even admonished half the articles, why bother posting them then?

I gotta say, these yard barker articles have been pretty bad and I find to have no substance. Surprisingly this one isn't bad though.

Because it’s new but I’ve already addressed why.  Meh.

10 minutes ago, Banana Bandit said:

Yes, because asking why multiple writers work is allowed to be stolen and reposted on here in full is trolling. Great.

Glad you're okay with affecting these writers' bottom line. Might as well start uploading full movies to the board as well, right?

Dude your first response to this thread was trashing the people who wrote the article

2 hours ago, Banana Bandit said:

Y'all gotta stop with these Yardbarker articles for real. Nothing constructive or worth discussing from these articles at all.

Now your taking up for them, saying they are being dissed because their article is being copied and pasted without getting credit...even though OP posted a link to the article...

Just now, andrews31cain21 said:

Dude your first response to this thread was trashing the people who wrote the article

Now your taking up for them, saying they are being dissed because their article is being copied and pasted without getting credit...even though OP posted a link to the article..

First of all, posting a link does not mean that it's not being stolen. Copying and pasting the article is still theft of the original copyright holder, I.E. the writer. 

Giving credit, contrary to popular belief, does not absolve the post of stealing the article.

I have never said anything about giving them credit. You can dig back into my posts to see that. I've been consistent from the start that only a link to the article should be posted and maybe a few sentences max. Copying and pasting the entire article, even if you give a link, is theft and it should not be done. If any of my articles were ever stolen in this manner, I would be very uspet as every missed click would be potential revenue away from me.

It's not right, it's illegal, and it's just not good ethics.