CFP officially expands to 12.

Unknøwn

They realized there was too much money being left on the table.

I still think 8 is the right number for FBS, but a bigger playoff field is exciting. There is a little more margin for error, which some dislike but I think that’s absolutely fine. Games in November will be incredibly important for so many teams and this could put so much heat back into rivalry week.

Sounds like they want to get it up and running asap

24 minutes ago, Carter said:

They realized there was too much money being left on the table.

I still think 8 is the right number for FBS, but a bigger playoff field is exciting. There is a little more margin for error, which some dislike but I think that’s absolutely fine. Games in November will be incredibly important for so many teams and this could put so much heat back into rivalry week.

Sounds like they want to get it up and running asap

I appreciate the way they did it. They didn't  give auto bids to the P5. It's just the 6 best Champs. Most of the P5 is covered by that anyway. Let's not try to force some mediocre team in just because they lucked out and won a P5 conference during a down year. 

Using this format and assuming seeding would coincide with the final CFP rankings like they do now and assuming the champs would have been given the higher seed. The 2021 playoffs would have been

#1 Alabama vs #12 Michigan State

#2 Michigan vs #11 Oklahoma State

#3 Cincy vs #10 Ole Miss

#4 Baylor vs #9 Ohio State

#5 Pittsburgh vs #8 Notre Dame

#6 Utah vs #7 UGA

35 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Using this format and assuming seeding would coincide with the final CFP rankings like they do now and assuming the champs would have been given the higher seed. The 2021 playoffs would have been

#1 Alabama vs #12 Michigan State

#2 Michigan vs #11 Oklahoma State

#3 Cincy vs #10 Ole Miss

#4 Baylor vs #9 Ohio State

#5 Pittsburgh vs #8 Notre Dame

#6 Utah vs #7 UGA

Think the top teams are getting byes, probably the top 4, so 5-12, 6-11, 7-10. 8-9  the first week,  then second week, 1 plays the lowest seed left, 2, next lowest and so on.  Third is the final 4 teams, Fourth week championship game.

26 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Think the top teams are getting byes, probably the top 4, so 5-12, 6-11, 7-10. 8-9  the first week,  then second week, 1 plays the lowest seed left, 2, next lowest and so on.  Third is the final 4 teams, Fourth week championship game.

Yep, with that info here's the look

No. 12 Pittsburgh at No. 5 Georgia winner vs. 4. Baylor
No. 11 Utah at No. 6 Notre Dame winner vs. 3. Cincinnati
No. 10 Michigan State at No. 7 Ohio State winner vs. 2. Michigan
No. 9 Oklahoma State at No. 8 Ole Miss winner vs. 1. Alabama

9 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Yep, with that info here's the look

No. 12 Pittsburgh at No. 5 Georgia winner vs. 4. Baylor
No. 11 Utah at No. 6 Notre Dame winner vs. 3. Cincinnati
No. 10 Michigan State at No. 7 Ohio State winner vs. 2. Michigan
No. 9 Oklahoma State at No. 8 Ole Miss winner vs. 1. Alabama

I got no problem with expansion... about the only issue I could see is they would have to fit 4 games into one day twice. Even if they start at 12 2 games are gonna overlap. I suppose they could do one in primetime on Friday night. Which brings up another point is the first round on campus games? Haven't had time to read it all.

41 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

I got no problem with expansion... about the only issue I could see is they would have to fit 4 games into one day twice. Even if they start at 12 2 games are gonna overlap. I suppose they could do one in primetime on Friday night. Which brings up another point is the first round on campus games? Haven't had time to read it all.

First round is on campus. Rounds beyond that are in bowl games. Games begin in mid December. They have to be at least 2 weeks after conference championship week per the approved format. They will make exceptions. Like if a G5 or any school for that matter has a home game and wants to play a bigger stadium nearby stadium they will be granted approval for a bigger venue. Like if Georgia State made the playoffs, they could move the game to Mercedes Benz to sell more tickets. 

35 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

First round is on campus. Rounds beyond that are in bowl games. Games begin in mid December. They have to be at least 2 weeks after conference championship week per the approved format. They will make exceptions. Like if a G5 or any school for that matter has a home game and wants to play a bigger stadium nearby stadium they will be granted approval for a bigger venue. Like if Georgia State made the playoffs, they could move the game to Mercedes Benz to sell more tickets. 

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/news/2022/9/2/bom-votes-12-team-playoff.aspx

it actual says ...

1. The other eight teams will play in the first round with the higher seeds hosting the lower seeds either on campus or at other sites designated by the higher-seeded institution (No. 12 at No. 5, No. 11 at No. 6, No. 10 at No. 7 and No. 9 at No. 8.)

Not that I think a hosting team would change venues but it could be an option

21 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/news/2022/9/2/bom-votes-12-team-playoff.aspx

it actual says ...

1. The other eight teams will play in the first round with the higher seeds hosting the lower seeds either on campus or at other sites designated by the higher-seeded institution (No. 12 at No. 5, No. 11 at No. 6, No. 10 at No. 7 and No. 9 at No. 8.)

Not that I think a hosting team would change venues but it could be an option

Yes that's the shift I mentioned. A team is allowed to move it to a bigger venue if they so choose. I don't see many teams doing it. A playoff game on campus should be a special thing. 

• 1 month later...

When this happens, you'll routinely see 3-4 SEC teams in the mix.

This year, 3 of GA. ALA, TENN and OLE MISS won't make the playoffs. Assuming their losses are only to each other, they could all be top 10 teams in the final poll.

Right now, looks like only the conference champ gets in, although if 2 undefeated teams play in ATL, it may be that both get in.

In in 12 team playoff, all 4 or at least 3 are in.

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

When this happens, you'll routinely see 3-4 SEC teams in the mix.

This year, 3 of GA. ALA, TENN and OLE MISS won't make the playoffs. Assuming their losses are only to each other, they could all be top 10 teams in the final poll.

Right now, looks like only the conference champ gets in, although if 2 undefeated teams play in ATL, it may be that both get in.

In in 12 team playoff, all 4 or at least 3 are in.

If Tennessee or UGA went 11-1 with their only loss being to the other and that other goes 13-0 with the SEC, both would get in.

22 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

If Tennessee or UGA went 11-1 with their only loss being to the other and that other goes 13-0 with the SEC, both would get in.

There may be a tough decision this year. Let’s say UGA beats UT, then Alabama beats UGA. You have 12-1 Alabama and then 11-1 UT and 12-1 UGA. You can’t leave out the SEC champ and you also can’t leave out UGA. I think Tennessee probably gets the short end of the stick, but that’s a tough call. Gotta figure the Ohio State/Michigan winner gets in as long as they win the Big 10. 

The path for 3 SEC teams is there though… it just would take Clemson losing. 

New meeting happened. Progress was made and they hope to finalize the details in time to have this begin in 2024. The issue they're having now is avoiding the NFL playoffs. They don't want to compete with the NFL head to head. They plan to keep the title game on a Monday and are requiring a 12 day wait between conference championship week and round 1 of the playoffs. 

15 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

New meeting happened. Progress was made and they hope to finalize the details in time to have this begin in 2024. The issue they're having now is avoiding the NFL playoffs. They don't want to compete with the NFL head to head. They plan to keep the title game on a Monday and are requiring a 12 day wait between conference championship week and round 1 of the playoffs. 

Yeah, the students need to be able to take their finals. :)