Falcons Coach Arthur Smith Debunks Rumor on New OL Chuma Edoga

HASHBROWN3

Originally posted on FanNation Falcon Report 
By Daniel Flick,Jeremy Brener  |  Last updated 9/1/22

Just a day after hundreds of NFL players were cut, the Atlanta Falcons are offering another chance to one offensive lineman.

In the first opportunity on the waiver wire, the Falcons claimed former New York Jets offensive lineman Chuma Edoga. Upon his addition, NFL Network reported that Edoga would compete at right tackle, implying he'd be in contention to unseat starter Kaleb McGary.

Falcons coach Arthur Smith put the rumor to bed, almost completely unprompted, during Wednesday's press conference.

"The one thing I will say, we had a national guy claim that the guy was going to compete for a spot; that's not true," Smith asserted. "We're bringing guys in here, we'll evaluate them. It's funny, I don't know where people get their sources or whatever, that's not the case. Check to see if somebody's a fit, see what it looks like. But nobody we claimed is competing for the right tackle spot."

Edoga is a former 2018 third-round pick of the Jets from USC. He's 6-3, 308 and 25 years old. He has been a part-time starter in New York ... but no, this isn't a star-quality guy. Maybe "star quality'' comes later, but a move like this adds depth for the Falcons.

The team opted to keep just eight offensive linemen in its own initial 53-man roster ... Jake Matthews, Elijah Wilkinson, Matt Hennessy, Chris Lindstrom, Kaleb McGary, Germain Ifedi, Drew Dalman, and Jalen Mayfield.

The starters seem pretty concrete with Matthews and McGary at the tackle spots, but Edoga could challenge for time as the swing tackle against Germain Ifedi.

The team also got a closer look at Edoga during the team's joint practices with the Jets earlier this month, so the team has some familiarity with the fourth-year tackle.

For Edoga, joining the Falcons represents a homecoming. Edoga is from nearby Powder Springs, which is less than an hour away from Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.

A corresponding move has yet to be announced by claiming Edoga, but the Falcons will have to waive a player in order to get back down to the 53-man limit

2 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

If he's not competing then what is he there for?

Not competing to take McGarys job…he is competing to have a spot on the 53, likely at swing tackle. He has played at LT and RT…I THINK Ifedi is purely a RT…and I believe he started getting reps at RG too now.

smith was debunking the tweet that the Falcons signed him to compete w Mcagary for the starting role. Maybe someday, but guys signed on waivers a week before the season starts ain’t taking the starting job of a guy who has played really well so far in camps and preseason…maybe some day, but not today.

7 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Not competing to take McGarys job…he is competing to have a spot on the 53, likely at swing tackle. He has played at LT and RT…I THINK Ifedi is purely a RT…and I believe he started getting reps at RG too now.

smith was debunking the tweet that the Falcons signed him to compete w Mcagary for the starting role. Maybe someday, but guys signed on waivers a week before the season starts ain’t taking the starting job of a guy who has played really well so far in camps and preseason…maybe some day, but not today.

I beg to differ. They talked about competition. No sacred cows. Blah blah blah. Who did McGary impress against? What if he struggles which is indicative of his entire career? 

I know, I know. McGary figured it all out on a contract year and will get rewarded next year. Hopefully by some other team. 

26 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Yep. Ifidi is terrible and I can almost guaranty we brought in Edoga to compete as a reserve swing tackle in part with Ifidi.  He is in no way competing for McGarys starting job. 

26 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I beg to differ. They talked about competition. No sacred cows. Blah blah blah. Who did McGary impress against? What if he struggles which is indicative of his entire career? 

I know, I know. McGary figured it all out on a contract year and will get rewarded next year. Hopefully by some other team. 

They had competition all through camp with the guys they had. At this point, your starters are set. A guy just brought in , is not competing with a starter, he better be learning and trying to just make the team at this point. It's just simple common sense. It's not that complicated.

29 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

They had competition all through camp with the guys they had. At this point, your starters are set. A guy just brought in , is not competing with a starter, he better be learning and trying to just make the team at this point. It's just simple common sense. It's not that complicated.

Cool. So no matter how bad a player is (Example: Mayfield last season) let's keep them in there because they earned the spot by being there longer. Brilliant!!!

36 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Cool. So no matter how bad a player is (Example: Mayfield last season) let's keep them in there because they earned the spot by being there longer. Brilliant!!!

I don't know where the mental block is. That guy just walked in the building, has done nothing to make anyone think he's better and McGary has done nothing to label him as bad this season. He's a young and developing player. He is your starting right tackle. That's not gonna change any time soon. You sound like you just hate McGary for no reason and just want him replaced, even if it hurts the team. You are creating assumptions in your mind and expecting a result based off of that. Arthur just stated the fact that he's not competing for RT. He thinks It's Mcgary's job to lose and he has zero reason to question that. Smith also didn't say that Mcgary was the starting RT from now until he retires. 

Edited by THEHEADCOACH

1 hour ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

You missed Smith's point, though. He's saying they didn't bring Efedi in to replace McGary, not that the better player wouldn't be on the field. The better guy will play, but it's not already assumed that Efedi is the better guy. There's a big difference between bringing in competition and bringing in someone who's earmarked to knock somebody out of a job.

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Wait, what? You compete to the the absolute best at your position? You think this dude aspires to simply make a roster? If that is the case, and there is no evidence that at all, then he is looking to take some ones job.

2 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I wish I could hear how Arthur Smith would verbally assault you for saying dumb crap like this.

This has been the most competitive camp I've maybe ever seen out of the Falcons. Everyone has earned their spot.

Edited by ATLskinjob

29 minutes ago, Swayzee said:

Wait, what? You compete to the the absolute best at your position? You think this dude aspires to simply make a roster? If that is the case, and there is no evidence that at all, then he is looking to take some ones job.

That’s not at all what I was saying, not sure how you came to that conclusion.  I was talking about Arthur Smiths view of him joining the roster, not the players. Nowhere did I say dude was coming here and didn’t want to compete to start 😂 

not hard to decipher what AS was saying, not sure why there is so much debate about it. He isn’t taking the starting job from McGary immediately. McGary has played well so far this preseason (Smiths own view), and new guy doesn’t even know the offense. Down the road, I hope he can take his job, that means we upgraded. If McGary was struggling, Font wouldn’t have waited this long to find his competition/replacement. The only teams looking for immediate starters at final roster cuts are ones with injuries.

1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

That’s not at all what I was saying, not sure how you came to that conclusion.  I was talking about Arthur Smiths view of him joining the roster, not the players. Nowhere did I say dude was coming here and didn’t want to compete to start 😂 

not hard to decipher what AS was saying, not sure why there is so much debate about it. He isn’t taking the starting job from McGary immediately. McGary has played well, and new guy doesn’t even know the offense. Down the road, I hope he can take his job, that means we upgraded.

I got you.

1 hour ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

I don't know where the mental block is. That guy just walked in the building, has done nothing to make anyone think he's better and McGary has done nothing to label him as bad this season. He's a young and developing player. He is your starting right tackle. That's not gonna change any time soon. You sound like you just hate McGary for no reason and just want him replaced, even if it hurts the team. You are creating assumptions in your mind and expecting a result based off of that. Arthur just stated the fact that he's not competing for RT. He thinks It's Mcgary's job to lose and he has zero reason to question that. Smith also didn't say that Mcgary was the starting RT from now until he retires. 

If it's McGary's job to lose then you just made my point for me. If a starter isn't looking over his shoulder it's due to two reasons. Sacred cow or the starter is just that d@mn good. Nothing in McGary's past proves he's that good. Ok, so he had a good camp and preseason vs. Falcons, Jets, and Jaguars. Hardly a bunch of world beaters. 

21 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

I wish I could hear how Arthur Smith would verbally assault you for saying dumb crap like this.

This has been the most competitive camp I've maybe ever seen out of the Falcons. Everyone has earned their spot.

Who did McGary beat out to "earn" his spot?

You're right. It's been the most competitive camp ever. 55 ex Bears who couldn't make that roster were in Atlanta fighting to make it. It's super competitive considering how stacked the roster is. 

3 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

If he's not competing then what is he there for?

Dumb comment to make. Ok we signed you but remember. You are a backup. If McGary struggles you aren't in a competition with him. He will still play. 

We presently have no one backing up jake matthews. This guy plays lt and rt tackle. Not in competition for a starter gig but competition to be a fill in if needed.

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

You missed Smith's point, though. He's saying they didn't bring Efedi in to replace McGary, not that the better player wouldn't be on the field. The better guy will play, but it's not already assumed that Efedi is the better guy. There's a big difference between bringing in competition and bringing in someone who's earmarked to knock somebody out of a job.

I appreciate your enlightenment. Still it just seems weird for a coach to preach about competition all off season then turn around and be quoted as saying nobody they claimed is competing. The two contradict each other. Why he cares or took the time to comment on the matter is strange as well. Let the media be the media. I would think he would have more important things to do than nitpick media comments. 

1 minute ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I appreciate your enlightenment. Still it just seems weird for a coach to preach about competition all off season then turn around and be quoted as saying nobody they claimed is competing. The two contradict each other. Why he cares or took the time to comment on the matter is strange as well. Let the media be the media. I would think he would have more important things to do than nitpick media comments. 

No they don't. 

He was just claimed. There is zero reason to suggest that he is already competing for anything when he hasn't even practiced yet.

Those two things do not contradict, no matter how much you want them to

2 minutes ago, Williamb said:

We presently have no one backing up jake matthews. This guy plays lt and rt tackle. Not in competition for a starter gig but competition to be a fill in if needed.

Why would he not be in competition with McGary? Is McGary that good now? If every player on that roster isn't competing to be on that field every day can you really expect improvement? 

3 minutes ago, hjerry said:

No they don't. 

He was just claimed. There is zero reason to suggest that he is already competing for anything when he hasn't even practiced yet.

Those two things do not contradict, no matter how much you want them to

If he was claimed for a reason other than to compete would you please explain that reason?

8 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Probably because he just went through a full camp and preseason of competition. And was not unseated