I can’t believe I’m saying this, but after watching Ridder all preseason, I want him start sooner than later. He has traits of elite QBs. Videos linked

gazoo

Ok, I can’t believe that I’m saying this,  but the evidence is so compelling to me I am having to do a 180 on my position between Marcus Mariota and Desmond Ridder starting by no later than mid season.  The video below shows several passes of Ridder and the video below that shows several passes of Mariota .

Ridders passes show almost instant decision making and delivery with the ball getting out of his hands quickly almost every snap. Often you’ll see pass rushers untouched coming at Ridder, yet while he’s already decided where to throw the ball presnap or within a half a second after snap going through his progressions, he also has an elite pocket presence and simply shifts or moves away from the pass rusher to buy enough time to deliver the downfield strike.  Ridder reads defenses (already) and the ball gets delivered efficiently, on time and accurately most passes with no wasted motion or moves. He also is not looking to run, he’s always looking downfield even with pressure in his face. This is elite stuff I’m seeing from Ridder, the pocket presence, ability to avoid the pass rush while surveying the field, his lightening quick delivery, ability to read defenses and throw the strikes with heat on the pass where necessary. This is ELITE STUFF I’m watching. I don’t want him to start game 1, but he is the future here and I see no reason to keep him benched anytime past the first 5 games or so. 

So let’s compare the snaps of Ridder in the film above, to those of Mariota. With Mariota there is wasted movement and hesitation, tha ball comes out much later which is going to lead to a lot more sacks IMO. Many of those clips of Ridder above where the ball is out so fast led to 30 yard strikes than with Mariota May have been sacks. Mariota also has a tendency of looking to run under pressure where Ridder gets the ball out so fast with decsion making and quick delivery the rush can’t get to him on time. 

Just watch these videos and tell me there isn’t a stunning difference in efficiency between the two QBs as it relates to decision making, efficiency, pocket awareness and ability to read defenses. the video below says “unavailable” but just click “watch on YouTube” and it will load.

• gazoo changed the title to I can’t believe I’m saying this, but after watching Ridder all preseason, I want him start sooner than later. He has traits of elite QBs. Videos linked

I honestly think he will, but they've mentioned multiple times his execution of the offense leaves something to be desired.  The good news, that's the sort of thing rookies pick up quick, whereas the things he excels at are things rookies often struggle with.  So I think by the time we need him, he's going to be ready.

But I think Mariota starts week 1 and continues to start until it's evident they need to give Ridder a shot.

32 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I honestly think he will, but they've mentioned multiple times his execution of the offense leaves something to be desired.  The good news, that's the sort of thing rookies pick up quick, whereas the things he excels at are things rookies often struggle with.  So I think by the time we need him, he's going to be ready.

But I think Mariota starts week 1 and continues to start until it's evident they need to give Ridder a shot.

Ridder is clearly a very fast learner. It’s stunning where he is at the moment, but just as any rookie NFL QB, he’s still got a lot to learn. Ridder played in a lot of very big games against very good college teams in his 50 college starts, winning a remarkable 44 of them, with not a single loss at home.

So while it’s a fact all rookie NFL QBs still have a lot to learn when they get here, many of them still start games in their rookie season. Matt Ryan did pretty good and had 18 less starts in college, going 25-7. In fact, Ridder is the 3rd winningest QB in NCAA history.

So given this, I still want Ridder watch from the sideline for at least 5 games how NFL defenses scheme and how to attack them.  

But this thread isn’t about my opinion, the two videos speak for themselves about which QB has the elite ability which includes the cognitive. I think Mariota is going to get sacked a lot, or, take off running after primary is covered and heat coming while leaving big plays on the field.  Mariota simply doesn’t see the field anywhere near as good as Ridder, and often hesitates allowing pass rushers to get there. 

watch the two videos and see for yourselves. There is no comparison, it’s stunning the difference between the two.

I don't mind giving him at least a few weeks to go through game film and see what defenses are doing in real games before we throw him to the wolves.  But I agree he looks good enough already there is no need to delay his progression for any extended length of time.

He might or might not be that guy, but MM1 hasn't given me any reason to doubt he can get the job done, and as long as the team is competing for a playoff spot, I'm not looking to upset the apple cart.

Now, if we are out of it by midseason, sure, might as well let him get some live fire under his belt. 

Let's hold our horses and see how Mariota does in a real game. I'm all for giving Ridder a chance IF Mariota struggles the first 3-4 games and Falcons are losing. There is no urgency here this year, we aren't winning a superbowl no matter who starts. Let's give the vet a chance, we'll have plenty of opportunities to get Ridder in there in the future. Best case for our franchise is Mariotta makes the decision to put Ridder in there a very tough one. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Let's hold our horses and see how Mariota does in a real game. I'm all for giving Ridder a chance IF Mariota struggles the first 3-4 games and Falcons are losing. There is no urgency here this year, we aren't winning a superbowl no matter who starts. Let's give the vet a chance, we'll have plenty of opportunities to get Ridder in there in the future. Best case for our franchise is Mariotta makes the decision to put Ridder in there a very tough one. 

Another thing to consider is if this is a lost season already, why wouldn’t you want Ridder get extensive playing time if he’s expected to be the QB of the future?

Just now, gazoo said:

Another thing to consider is if this is a lost season already, why wouldn’t you want Ridder get extensive playing time if he’s expected to be the QB of the future?

For one our line is a massive question mark. If we start the season with QB taking a beating do we really want it to be Ridder?

I know a lot of people are hyped about our preseason, but some seem to forget preseason means close to nothing. That's not even getting into the fact Ridder played against mostly second and third string players for some of the worst teams in the entire league. As promising as we've looked it can all be completely wiped away as early as week 1. This team may not be as "ready" to compete as some think based on a small preseason sample. The Saints starting defense is quite a quantum leap compared to what we've seen so far. Not saying we are doomed or anything of the sort, just that we've proven absolutely squat so far. Let the vet go out there first. 

The cherry picked best of anyone is better than the cherry picked worst if anyone else. That’s nothing new. 

Question for Saints fans, would you rather start a rookie on his first exposure to full speed NFL against your most fierce divisional rival or the guy who’s logged 81 NFL touchdowns and 14,000 NFL yards?  
If you’re not a Saints fan I think the answer is pretty obvious. 

Fine by me if y’all want Ridder to work the kinks out against the Browns. 

7 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I think the more likely scenario is if we're struggling, they put him in sooner rather than later, not because they think it's a lost season, but because they want to win now.

When they think he's the best option for us to win football games, he'll be the starter.  And what I hope is he takes the reins and never looks back.  The other option -- he struggles and they have to go back to Mariota -- is worse for Ridder and the team.  But I honestly don't think he'd be any worse if Mariota is struggling.  About the only way that happens and they shelve Ridder is if Mariota is struggling because the line still has issues with protection.  I don't think they'll risk the franchise as a rookie under those circumstances.  But I also think Ridder has an uncanny pocket presence, so maybe they'll think he'll be better protected just by getting the ball out quicker and understanding the dynamics of the pocket.  And they might be right about that.  From what I saw in the preseason, Ridder is ridiculously good at climbing the pocket and evading pressure while getting the ball out fast.  He can be a little reckless, but he's been getting by with it so far.  

10 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

For one our line is a massive question mark. If we start the season with QB taking a beating do we really want it to be Ridder?

I agree with you. Our OL does not appear to be ready to pull its own weight, especially pass protecting.   Ridder is all but ready to start in the NFL, but I DO NOT want to see him getting hammered a dozen times a game because our OL is unable to do its job. Get this OL up to some semblance of NFL quality and then consider putting Ridder in ~ if Mariota isn't getting the job done. There is no rush!

15 minutes ago, Ohio Dirty Bird said:

How can we watch practice video and know how good or bad this kid is.  Everyone needs to just wait and see.  

Agreed. Preseason is not the real thing. Teams aren't showing much of their playbooks, and depending on who happens to be in the game, players can look like all-pros or Alpo. 

Until I'm shown different, my mind won't let go of '3rd rounder for a reason'. He's going to have to seriously impress AS to get on the field in games that matter. And if we have a bad season, he won't be out there because he earned it. He'll be out there because they'll be evaluating him against the 2023 crop of draft QBs.

Ridder sees the field better than Mariota and his reads are quicker. I think the plan is for Ridder to start after the bye week unless the Falcons are 3-4 or better by then, in which case Mariota gets to continue to start. 

All of this can change quickly if Mariota gets injured - which history and his playing style says is a near certainty (not that I’d ever wish that for anyone). 

10 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Agreed. Preseason is not the real thing. Teams aren't showing much of their playbooks, and depending on who happens to be in the game, players can look like all-pros or Alpo. 

Until I'm shown different, my mind won't let go of '3rd rounder for a reason'. He's going to have to seriously impress AS to get on the field in games that matter. And if we have a bad season, he won't be out there because he earned it. He'll be out there because they'll be evaluating him against the 2023 crop of draft QBs.

I don't disagree with this, but what I keep coming back to is how bad Matt Ryan looked against the Dolphins in 2016 (when we went to the Super Bowl) and how mediocre Matt Schaub looked against 2nd stringers.

If the worst thing Desmond Ridder is turns out to be "Matt Schaub," we got a good deal.  And I think he's already better than Schaubie was when he was a decade-plus vet.

3 hours ago, gazoo said:

Ok, I can’t believe that I’m saying this,  but the evidence is so compelling to me I am having to do a 180 on my position between Marcus Mariota and Desmond Ridder starting by no later than mid season.  The video below shows several passes of Ridder and the video below that shows several passes of Mariota .

Ridders passes show almost instant decision making and delivery with the ball getting out of his hands quickly almost every snap. Often you’ll see pass rushers untouched coming at Ridder, yet while he’s already decided where to throw the ball presnap or within a half a second after snap going through his progressions, he also has an elite pocket presence and simply shifts or moves away from the pass rusher to buy enough time to deliver the downfield strike.  Ridder reads defenses (already) and the ball gets delivered efficiently, on time and accurately most passes with no wasted motion or moves. He also is not looking to run, he’s always looking downfield even with pressure in his face. This is elite stuff I’m seeing from Ridder, the pocket presence, ability to avoid the pass rush while surveying the field, his lightening quick delivery, ability to read defenses and throw the strikes with heat on the pass where necessary. This is ELITE STUFF I’m watching. I don’t want him to start game 1, but he is the future here and I see no reason to keep him benched anytime past the first 5 games or so. 

So let’s compare the snaps of Ridder in the film above, to those of Mariota. With Mariota there is wasted movement and hesitation, tha ball comes out much later which is going to lead to a lot more sacks IMO. Many of those clips of Ridder above where the ball is out so fast led to 30 yard strikes than with Mariota May have been sacks. Mariota also has a tendency of looking to run under pressure where Ridder gets the ball out so fast with decsion making and quick delivery the rush can’t get to him on time. 

Just watch these videos and tell me there isn’t a stunning difference in efficiency between the two QBs as it relates to decision making, efficiency, pocket awareness and ability to read defenses. the video below says “unavailable” but just click “watch on YouTube” and it will load.

Not to take anything away from Ridder, but you also have to take into consideration that Mariota is running an offense against 1st team defences in the preseason which should make it more challenging to go through progressions because the coverage is likely better due to personal on the field. I love what I've seen from Ridder but let's not throw the word "elite" around when the only thing we've seen is the preseason against opposing teams 2nd & 3rd defensive units. Not to mention it's been the backups of the Lions, Jets & Jags - easily some of the worst teams in the NFL. 

Ridder has alot of tools and intangibles but his accuracy is still an issue to me from what I've seen. I think that issue can be mitigated by both him improving with time on his own and Arthur Smiths play calling. As far as who should start between him and Mariota, you may very well be right about Ridders ceiling being higher week 1. Good news is we will find out right away if Mariota should be they guy for us with a marquee matchup against the Saints. I'd say win or lose if our offense doesn't score 30 plus with Mariota switch to Ridder week 2 and see what we get.