Let’s keep some things in mind while observing todays cuts…

HASHBROWN3

1. Our coaches observe these guys every day in camp. They understand what they’re capable of against our roster players & against other UDFA’s.  That’s why I kept an open mind.

2. Don’t get too attached cuz this is an ever evolving roster. Let’s see what happens in the coming days & weeks.

3. Our team improved quite a bit from a year ago.

9 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

1. Our coaches observe these guys every day in camp. They understand what they’re capable of against our roster players & against other UDFA’s.  That’s why I kept an open mind.

2. Don’t get too attached cuz this is an ever evolving roster. Let’s see what happens in the coming days & weeks.

Coaches look for things fans don't see or consider. If a player made a good individual play (sack, scramble), you or I might not know if he did it in spite of abandoning his assignment. We see a good open field hit - which is a positive outcome - but the coach knows if it came in spite of the player bailing out on his assignment within the play. The outcome was the best thing that could happen, but a touchdown or deep gash could likely have occurred if the player didn't go on his own. Coaches lose sleep knowing that some guy has great potential but doesn't play within the scheme.

3 minutes ago, SPITFIRE said:

Also these are people losing their jobs. With uncertainty of the future. 

You might as well say this about the coaches and personnel staff. They might make head scratching decision (to us), but they're putting the team together that they believe will keep them employed long term. Keeping somebody because "they like him" doesn't make sense to them either.

Also keep in mind NFL rules like:

Vested veteran rules: Some vets may be back after week 1.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/10/vested-veteran-salary-guarantees-nfl

Example - If a team decided after Week 1 to part ways with a veteran player with a base salary of $1MM, the team would still be on the hook for the full $1MM.  If a player is signed during the season, following a team’s first game, and is later released, he’s only entitled to 25% of his full-season salary. 

Injured reserve rules:

In order for a player to be eligible for return this season they have to be on initial 53..   or else thier IR is for the year.  This may be why some injured players (i.e. Mayfield, Davidson) were kept today and might go on IR tomorrow.

4 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Coaches look for things fans don't see or consider. If a player made a good individual play (sack, scramble), you or I might not know if he did it in spite of abandoning his assignment. We see a good open field hit - which is a positive outcome - but the coach knows if it came in spite of the player bailing out on his assignment within the play. The outcome was the best thing that could happen, but a touchdown or deep gash could likely have occurred if the player didn't go on his own. Coaches lose sleep knowing that some guy has great potential but doesn't play within the scheme.

You might as well say this about the coaches and personnel staff. They might make head scratching decision (to us), but they're putting the team together that they believe will keep them employed long term. Keeping somebody because "they like him" doesn't make sense to them either.

If Felipe Franks is the player that Arthur Smith thinks will save his job if things start going south then that would tell me everything I need to know.

In all seriousness I still say we need a 3rd QB on the practice squad soon.

Franks at backup in event of a minor injury doesn't sound very promising

Edited by Komic
looked back at this 2 hours later and realized I had ton of typos

14 minutes ago, Komic said:

If Felipe Franks is the player that argue Smith thinks will save his job of he things start going south then that would tell me everything I need to know.

In all seriousness I still say we need a 3rd QB on the practice squad soon.

Franks at backup in event of a minor injury doesn't sound very promising

I think the argument that if we make it to the 3rd string qb during a game that we are already in deep doo-doo is legit.

I’m good at complaining. It’s a gift. 

But every dude at camp is good enough to get there. And there are always a ton of great players who don’t make a roster for any number of reasons and sometimes those aren’t football skill related if we have too many people in a position. I’d love to see an expansion of practice squads. 

1 hour ago, WH dirtybird said:

I thought I was on the Talk about the Falcons message board but somehow I have stumbled onto this thread that is mostly full of logic and reasoning instead of doom and gloom and crying and all about what we should have done or should do. Where is this strange place. I kind of like it. 

I think the straight forwardness of the staff ahead of time and us seeing the performance of all the players making it a tough decision lead to this outcome.

Instead of a lot of over hyping players from the coach then suddenly seeing them cut, we new exactly what to expect with the initial 53.

Even noticed "initial 53" getting used a lot because we know what to expect as opposed to "How did blah blah not make it?!?!" we know there is still opportunities for guys like Tangelo and others

1 hour ago, Williamb said:

I think the argument that if we make it to the 3rd string qb during a game that we are already in deep doo-doo is legit.

I subscribe to this thinking as well but also think just having a third mind grooming and learning to properly backup Ridder/Mariota in this system is valuable.

Lets say Mariota is out for a few weeks, now Ridder is going solo in the QB room? It might be nothing but it sits weird with me to have 2 total QBs on an entire roster all the way down to the practice squad and then just having franks to come in a throw games because "3rd string qbs suck anyway"

12 minutes ago, Komic said:

I subscribe to this thinking as well but also think just having a third mind grooming and learning to properly backup Ridder/Mariota in this system is valuable.

Lets say Mariota is out for a few weeks, now Ridder is going solo in the QB room? It might be nothing but it sits weird with me to have 2 total QBs on an entire roster all the way down to the practice squad and then just having franks to come in a throw games because "3rd string qbs suck anyway"

So you're suggesting ps qb since franks obviously is going nowhere?

7 minutes ago, Williamb said:

So you're suggesting ps qb since franks obviously is going nowhere?

Yea, just someone who can seriously play QB. I'm talking talent levels of udfa. xfl qbs. doesn't matter. Just a legit QB that isn't cross training at TE.

Practices currently let our defense go against MM1 or DR4. If either one of them catch a cramp then the second team defense might as well go take a break because they have nothing to learn going up against Franks trying to run around like its rugby.

Crap....Dog Poop GIF by Shelly Saves the DayI can't take it anymore!! Why did they let so many studs go and just stock up on scrubs? This team is falling off the deep end will never have another winning season. Who is pulling the strings a dagum pupet master? Wish they would get someone in here that has just an ounce of football know how between the ears. Face Palm No GIF by Ryn Dean

This is for them needing a fix. Ok, so we good?

Edited by high impact

6 minutes ago, high impact said:

Crap....Dog Poop GIF by Shelly Saves the DayI can't take it anymore!! Why did they let so many studs go and just stock up on scrubs? This team is falling off the deep end will never have another winning season. Who is pulling the strings a dagum pupet master? Wish they would get someone in here that has just an ounce of football know how between the ears. Face Palm No GIF by Ryn Dean

This is for them needing a fix. Ok, so we good?

Amy Poehler What GIF

2 hours ago, WH dirtybird said:

I thought I was on the Talk about the Falcons message board but somehow I have stumbled onto this thread that is mostly full of logic and reasoning instead of doom and gloom and crying and all about what we should have done or should do. Where is this strange place. I kind of like it. 

Wizard Of Oz GIF

5 minutes ago, hjerry said:

People complaining about one scrub making the roster instead of another scrub will always be entertainment

Only about 40 players at most actually earned their spot on this roster. Everyone else could get cut at a moments notice

I don't know what's more sad....the overreaction or the board crashing

4 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens in the coming days. Do we bring back the guys who’ve shown flashes? Do we bring in some of the notable guys on the waiver wire? Do we steal a Lindstrom and have real brotherhood on the Oline?😂 Does Fontenot do it again and unearth another gem who’s flying under the radar? 

There’s a lot to consider, for the most part I like where our team is. I’m hoping Bernhardt stay put on the 53 also I’m glad big Timmy is safe for now. And of course, I’m happy to see Alford claim a spot. I think we have the beginning of something solid. Let’s see what tomorrow holds.