NFL Draft and the WRs... Falcons-Drake London(#1-008) versus Steelers-George Pickens(#2-052)

g-dawg

1 hour ago, Mr.11 said:

Ok yeah, but hindsight is 20/20. London banged his knee in the first preseason game and has been held out since as a precautionary measure. Not really a fair comparison. Secondly, the top rookie story in preseason is arguably Ridder, who plays the most important position in football.

Steelers fans could easily be having this same discussion, except its "NFL Draft and the QBs... Steelers-Kenny Pickett(#1-020) versus Falcons-Desmond Ridder(#3-074)," at a position that has more far reaching consequences than WR.

I'm not gonna fault the Falcons for selecting the top WR prospect (which started the run on WRs in that draft, so who knows if Pickens would have even fallen to them had they went in a different direction) and trying to get weapons for the QB without spending an exorbitant amount of money. Personally, I probably would have went with Jordan Davis, but I'm not mad at the London pick. The Falcons were pretty much bone dry at WR, and any injuries would have made that situation even more untenable. Not surprised they decided to take no chances and draft London when they did.

while I agree that QB is by far the most important position - the upside of Pickett and Ridder - is likely lower than that of London & Pickens.

I'm not mad at the London pick either.   I do think London was probably 7th on the Falcons draft board - behind(in some order):  Travon Walker, Aidan Hutchinson, Kayvon Thibodeaux, Sauce Gardner, Derek Stingley, Jr and Evan Neal.

Had the draft fell a different way in the top 7 picks, Falcons might have been looking at Pickens later - alas, we will never likely know.

4 hours ago, runshoot said:

Yup exactly.. Not a post about Olave, or Wilson or Williams or Dotson, you know all the other 1st rounder WR . Nope we have to talk about the UGA player. @HASHBROWN3 This is why. You wanted to know, I explained it and here is the living example of it.

Well.. I mean… uh, his handle is g-dawg though. 😜

I don’t mind it. Pickens has been looking real good for the Steelers in camp.

I’m sure he understands we can’t have 22 UGA players on the roster! 🤣

14 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

I wouldn’t have been upset at all with Pickens. Pittsburgh passing game the last two years has been dreadful. So it’s not like WRs are crushing it out there. 

they are developing very quickly.   See Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool - and those are just the most recent examples - there are many.

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

they are developing very quickly.   See Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool - and those are just the most recent examples - there are many.

Passing game was still lackluster. Don’t care who your WRs are if the QB can’t find them. What does it mean? Hopefully for the Steelers sake Pickett will be able to