Bill Barnwell: The Falcons are likely going to be the worst team in the league this season

3 hours ago, Emmitt said:

Brah is wrong on his Ryan timeline. The decision to move on from Matt had already been made before they even considered Watson. 

This isn't accurate. Ryan wasn't moving until Watson came into play. Prior to that, they were looking at restructuring him.

You guys are funny. Any reporter who gives the Falcons no chance is lazy. Barnwell has always been pretty solid. It's just true.

Some of us are forgetting that the Lions went 4-0 the year they lost every game. The falcons have looked decent in Preseason,  but lets hold off on the bold proclamations until they play a real game that matters. Yes, MM and DR looked good on monday. Yes, they were playing against back-ups.

I found myself getting hype. But I would rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

If you look at the talent level across the board, particularly on defense,  the writer isn't too far off base.  Folks want to forget that this is a rebuilding season.  Smith and the offense are very good which fools fans into thinking that this is a good team.  Could the Falcons go under the radar and fool folks? Yes, but if you look objectively at the talent, its most likely not gonna happen.

2 hours ago, Jesus said:

If you read that and it doesn't upset you, then you aren't much of a fan.

Why, I could literally care less? Easy way to make it go away, and that is win games.

Although with the board logic...real fans don't predict losing records. So your right on your "fan" assessment. 

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

I hate to say it but I think the team is better off without Matt this year. He is the all time greatest Falcon but the last couple of years, I don't know, this is just me, but I'm not sure his heart was in it. Maybe he doesn't want to go through another rebuild, or maybe he just didn't want to run the offense like how Smith wants him to, but the team we saw the last two preseason games is much much different than the team we saw last preseason.

I don't know if that's because of Matt or what but it's different.

I don't agree with all of this, but I do think there is something to it.  My gut feeling is based on sort of how this all went down.  They began in the offseason talking about how they'd field calls on Matt and the cap issues.  Then we found out after Matt was traded Fontenot had basically been shopping him at the Senior Bowl.  I noticed watching our first two preseason games, I'm seeing a LOT more of the QB doing traditional PA plays where they turn their back to the defense, snap around, and fire the ball.  That was a staple under Shanahan and it hasn't been since.  We know Matt told Shanahan he didn't like turning his back to the defense.  We know Koetter let Matt do stuff he liked instead of pushing him to do stuff he needed to do like Shanahan did.

Put all that together and I get the feeling Matt Ryan was somewhat content here.  Not entirely, because I do think he gave it his best and tried to be a good teammate and tried to win every game.  But when you say you're not sure his heart was in it, I think it's more that he's 37 and he feels like he's earned the right to do some things his way, and I don't think any great OC (including our HC) is going to want a QB who won't do things to make the team better.  

Then you look at who we got.  Mariota and Mariota's mini-me, Ridder.  Two QBs who thrive on rollouts and PA and boots.  All things Ryan didn't really like to do much.  And I sort of feel like Smith's approach to Ryan last season was "let him do what he's comfortable with and we'll begin a succession plan to do what I want to do."

That's all speculation on my end, but it makes the most sense to me.  I think Ryan is better off in Indy, because they have a team with the pieces for him to be successful doing things the way he likes to do them.

Just watch this.  

They had, by my count, 1 PA play where he turned his back to the defense, and I think everything else was from shotgun.  He wants to be Peyton Manning, which is fine if that's what his coaches want.  But it isn't what Arthur Smith wants.

Now watch this:

I didn't find one on Mariota, but look at the difference.  Still a lot of shotgun, but a WHOLE lot of PA and rollouts.  Way more than you saw from Ryan, here (after 2016) or in Indy as above.  

Which one looks more like the WCO based offenses that Smith has built his philosophy around?

4 hours ago, blutarski said:

I would disagree with you on the timeline, even Ryan has said he wasn't planning on going anywhere until the Watson stuff came to light.  Didn't make any sense for us to get rid of Ryan this year with the money repercussions, and Ryan's team forced the issue to move.  Totally agree Barnwell is getting clicks, but I really think, HE THINKS, we're going to be the worst team in football.  

Maybe I mistaken them. I could have sworn TF mentioned that during a press conference.

It makes sense though.

2 hours ago, Jesus said:

I hate to say it but I think the team is better off without Matt this year. He is the all time greatest Falcon but the last couple of years, I don't know, this is just me, but I'm not sure his heart was in it. Maybe he doesn't want to go through another rebuild, or maybe he just didn't want to run the offense like how Smith wants him to, but the team we saw the last two preseason games is much much different than the team we saw last preseason.

I don't know if that's because of Matt or what but it's different.

Sometimes, despite how hard you try, divorce is the best solution. I think it’s been the best for both him and us. 

4 hours ago, BtK said:

My problem is the word likely. If people see us as the worst team right now, fair enough. I can see the reasoning behind it. But trying to guess the worst team of a season before one meaningful game is played is close to impossible. So I wouldn’t use the term ‚likely‘ on such a guess

I'd say it's 'likely' that you don't put much merit in Mr Barnwell's opinion.....

did I use it right??

:lol:

41 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I don't agree with all of this, but I do think there is something to it.  My gut feeling is based on sort of how this all went down.  They began in the offseason talking about how they'd field calls on Matt and the cap issues.  Then we found out after Matt was traded Fontenot had basically been shopping him at the Senior Bowl.  I noticed watching our first two preseason games, I'm seeing a LOT more of the QB doing traditional PA plays where they turn their back to the defense, snap around, and fire the ball.  That was a staple under Shanahan and it hasn't been since.  We know Matt told Shanahan he didn't like turning his back to the defense.  We know Koetter let Matt do stuff he liked instead of pushing him to do stuff he needed to do like Shanahan did.

Put all that together and I get the feeling Matt Ryan was somewhat content here.  Not entirely, because I do think he gave it his best and tried to be a good teammate and tried to win every game.  But when you say you're not sure his heart was in it, I think it's more that he's 37 and he feels like he's earned the right to do some things his way, and I don't think any great OC (including our HC) is going to want a QB who won't do things to make the team better.  

Then you look at who we got.  Mariota and Mariota's mini-me, Ridder.  Two QBs who thrive on rollouts and PA and boots.  All things Ryan didn't really like to do much.  And I sort of feel like Smith's approach to Ryan last season was "let him do what he's comfortable with and we'll begin a succession plan to do what I want to do."

That's all speculation on my end, but it makes the most sense to me.  I think Ryan is better off in Indy, because they have a team with the pieces for him to be successful doing things the way he likes to do them.

Just watch this.  

They had, by my count, 1 PA play where he turned his back to the defense, and I think everything else was from shotgun.  He wants to be Peyton Manning, which is fine if that's what his coaches want.  But it isn't what Arthur Smith wants.

Now watch this:

I didn't find one on Mariota, but look at the difference.  Still a lot of shotgun, but a WHOLE lot of PA and rollouts.  Way more than you saw from Ryan, here (after 2016) or in Indy as above.  

Which one looks more like the WCO based offenses that Smith has built his philosophy around?

It's funny considering how successful he is out of his comfort zone. But yeah I agree at this point in his career he has nothing else to prove and if he wants to win his way that's what he wants.

Smith very much wants a QB to do what he wants. He's got that now. Let's see how it plays out.

3 hours ago, Jesus said:

Barnwell used to be better back in the days when he wrote for that defunct sports site that I can't remember the name of. He was all about analytics and looked at football from a different perspective. Like you said now he's all about fantasy, which may not be his choice. All sports media has turned that way because it's a billion dollar cash cow. Same with gambling.

I think it was Grantland and yeah he was a better writer back then.

Meh, first year Ryan was here there were several sportswriters that thought the Falcons would go 0-16. They won 11 games  that year.

Nobody knows, esp. a sportswriter writing up a report like this for every team. 

I will say though, that if the Falcons win 10 games and get to the playoffs with 64 mil of dead cap, Smith should be coach of the year and Font Exec of the year.

Maybe the Jets didn't play most starters, but the Lions did...and both games looked pretty much the same...smooth offense, controlled plays, good decisions, scoring drives, competent playcalling, and the tools/weapons to sustain drives and keep scoring (into the second half!😮)...

Watching the defense both in practice and in games makes me think if we can just pressure the qb a little more, our secondary is actually a strength and can stand up to a few drives a game from any offense...

Which all makes me say that unquestionably, we can either win or lose any game we play...this will be a heart attack season, because I see A LOT of games coming down to the 4th qrtr...

Oh, by the way...speaking of starters, not once has anyone seen CP, Damien Williams, Drake London, Bryan Edwards and Kyle Pitts together running plays yet...with Mariota escaping the pocket and making plays with his mobility...