The story behind Desmond Ridder

47 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

It's so refreshing to see when people make posts that DON'T write him off 

But he's just a 3rd rounder. We didn't tank to get the 1st or 2nd pick for him. There's no way he's going to amount to anything. There, is that more of what you expected?

Just wanting to make sure you didn't spend too much time in that calgon moment, lol.

Edited by Williamb
Addition

3 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I have mentioned this in multiple threads and I will mention it again.

I thought Akili Smith was the next great NFL QB. 

So, my opinion is worth less than most.

Your opinion is your opinion. No one here is a fortune teller and no one is 100% correct 

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

If he fails to become our QB of the future, it won't be for lack of dedication to his craft.  The man is doing everything right.  Pulling for you Des!!

We are all hoping he is our guy...don't want to start the QB process all over again.

The media is going to run with the “accuracy” thingy until the wheels fall off, I promise you that. They’ve recently doubled down on this in recent days.

Now I’m not at all saying that he’s NOT bad some accuracy issues over the last week or so, but you must examine just what that represents. Some might be poorly thrown, inaccurate passes sure. But you also must calculate in lots of other mitigating factors such as:

He’s still learning the AS system unlike MM who came in already knowing it.

He’s playing more with the two’s & threes who may not all be in the same page.

He’s probably working on a new set of mechanics that AS is grooming him on at the pro level.

Keep in mind that he was assigned  “accuracy issues” because there weren’t many things the media & scouts could dwell on while he played at Cincinnati & this, like all ncaa QB’s, was the most reasonable issue to focus on while scouting him. 
In actuality, I think his completion % was maybe 1.5 to 2 percentage points less than Kenny Pickett who went first at the QB position in this years draft.

If he has all those other things, plus the leadership & work ethic, he’ll def be working on any of his “shortcomings”.

I think the fact that he’s quite a bit behind MM at this point is actually a very good thing for DR. He’s learning that playing QB at this level is a calling & a motivational process that you must aspire to. Don’t underestimate DR. MM has quite an advantage knowing the AS system & having much more NFL experience.

My sincere hope is that this will pay off handsomely in the future.  This guy is a winner. 44-6 to bring that Cinci program to the forefront is not an easy accomplishment. Neither will becoming the falcons next starting QB.