Mattie Ice Is Gone; Where Will The Falcons Find Offensive Leadership To Replace Him?

Many Falcon fans are lamenting the loss of Matt Ryan. Not only the best Quarterback the Falcons have ever had on the field, but a strong and vocal leader in the clubhouse as well. This young team is going to need someone to take Ryan's place as a leader. Marcus Mariota comes readily to mind as he's the new QB. He has the veteran experience, he accepts his role as a leader of the offense and mentor to the other QB's on the team. But Marcus is brand new to the Falcons. He doesn't have that connection and continuity with the guys who battled through a very difficult season in the first year of the new regime.

Not that Mariota's leadership should be discounted, but there needs to be at least one other person to take a more up-front role in guiding this young offensive unit. Someone who was here last year, who also is a veteran presence and that team mates can relate to as a player as well as someone to listen and respond to. A certain 10-year veteran is ready, willing and able to provide his own brand of leadership and energy to get this team out of the ditch ~ Uncle (Unc) Cordarrelle Patterson, formally known as CP84. 

Patterson just recently received his new honorary title of "Unc" because he's in his 10th NFL season. It's given to every player when they've been around long enough. It's a title that denotes seniority, being a high-ranking member of the team family, ready to provide guidance, encouragement and motivation. CP84 has the personality and the social skills to excel in this capacity. And the players know he brings it on the field, including last year when not a lot was going well for the Falcons on offense.

Mariota, Patterson and Jake Matthews are the new leaders of this offense. They are going to help these young players become professionals, become skilled and battle-hardened, help them gain the confidence to look at dour predictions and know they're going to be a competitive football team every Sunday no matter who shows up on the other sideline. I believe Unc CP84 is going to be the straw that stirs the drink of what may well be a surprisingly strong offensive unit.

Here's a short 10-minute video of Patterson's game vs the Jags last year. It of course highlights what was a great game for CP84, but also that the '21 Falcons had some good games. If that club can have some good games, this '22 version can also have some good games, and maybe, some great games as well. 

What do you think of the possible vacuum in leadership with the absence of Mattie Ice? Is Mariota going to be The Guy who provides all the leadership? Will CP84 take a more active role as a team/offensive leader? Can CP84 repeat his great performance of last year and keep it going late in the season? Can he be the sparkplug to keep this offense moving the chains, or will it be Kyle Pitts, Drake London or maybe even Tyler Allgeier? 

If you all are as hungry for football to start as I am, you will enjoy this video and should be encouraged about the possibilities of having a good year with this kind of performance out of the guys we had last year. Yes, Matt Ryan played and had a good game, but CP84 was the star of the offense in this one and he is still here. Enjoy!

It'll be a collective effort among the vets but I don't see why it wouldn't be Marriota. From what I've heard so far, he's been quite the leader. Players seem to like and respond to him. Don't see why being brand new to the falcons really comes into play here. 

But, like you, I'm ready for some football! It'll be an interesting year I think with some surprises here and there.

2 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

I think the leaders as of this minute is a vocal CP, and arguably Mariota.  I think we need to see Pitts step up, and I would love to see Matthews expand his veteran influence.  

This is what I was going to say.  He is the longest tenured Falcon now, and having a nasty OL setting the tone for the offense would do wonders imo

3 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

I think the leaders as of this minute is a vocal CP, and arguably Mariota.  I think we need to see Pitts step up, and I would love to see Matthews expand his veteran influence.  

Definitely agree. Especially helping these young offensive linemen get their footing. 

5 minutes ago, Lethal said:

This is what I was going to say.  He is the longest tenured Falcon now, and having a nasty OL setting the tone for the offense would do wonders imo

Agree. In fact it's hard for me to come up with anything that could possibly make more of a dramatic difference in how well this offense performs than having an OL that can take charge of the LOS and dominate for four quarters. Hope we have OL with plenty of mean in their DNA, though we haven't seen it yet. 

15 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree. In fact it's hard for me to come up with anything that could possibly make more of a dramatic difference in how well this offense performs than having an OL that can take charge of the LOS and dominate for four quarters. Hope we have OL with plenty of mean in their DNA, though we haven't seen it yet. 

I agree.  I don't think that is in Jake's makeup tbh, but maybe he will surprise.

I think there are already guys filling that role. Marcus has been vocal when doing PCs, CP of course, Pitts seems to be becoming more vocal, AJT is definitely starting to step out in the light as a face of the team. I've even heard McGary mention Jake by name for one of his pieces of advice. 

Leadership vacuums tend to fill themselves in time.

35 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

I am wondering what Mariota's leadership style is? We didnt really get to see that with the Titan's. Everything I have heard or read is that is a very mature. I hope it is him as the QB he just might not be the Rah-RAh type

And honestly, was Matt? If I was categorizing him, I'd say Matt was more perfectionist/slave driver, who was on people to do their jobs. 

50 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

I am wondering what Mariota's leadership style is? We didnt really get to see that with the Titan's. Everything I have heard or read is that is a very mature. I hope it is him as the QB he just might not be the Rah-RAh type

There was an article about it recently.  Basically he isn't doing the "quiz them in the hallways" thing Ryan did, but he encourages and picks people up, and lets them know "we aren't looking for you to win every rep, but just keep stacking quality reps."  I think that sort of "pushing people up" leadership is effective.

Ryan did that too, for what it's worth.  Everyone thinks about "get ******* set" and all that, but Ryan was good at encouraging people after a drop or a missed route or whatever.  He was always saying stuff like "come on, let's go get 'em" after a mistake.

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

There was an article about it recently.  Basically he isn't doing the "quiz them in the hallways" thing Ryan did, but he encourages and picks people up, and lets them know "we aren't looking for you to win every rep, but just keep stacking quality reps."  I think that sort of "pushing people up" leadership is effective.

Ryan did that too, for what it's worth.  Everyone thinks about "get ******* set" and all that, but Ryan was good at encouraging people after a drop or a missed route or whatever.  He was always saying stuff like "come on, let's go get 'em" after a mistake.

I think that is what I noticed most about Matt the last couple of seasons.  He looked defeated.  Like he was still an ultra competitor and gave everything he had to this franchise each and every snap, but I have never seen him more frustrated and disheveled after plays than I did the past couple years.  His leadership and competitive nature is highly underrated. 

20 minutes ago, Lethal said:

I think that is what I noticed most about Matt the last couple of seasons.  He looked defeated.  Like he was still an ultra competitor and gave everything he had to this franchise each and every snap, but I have never seen him more frustrated and disheveled after plays than I did the past couple years.  His leadership and competitive nature is highly underrated. 

That's one of the reasons I like Ridder a lot more after the draft than I did before (and he was my QB1 before the draft).  You can't teach a will to win.  You also can't teach speed or arm strength, but all the QBs coming out have those things to some degree.  Matt Ryan is called a statute around here but he'd still outrun most of us in the 40.  It's the fire that makes the great ones great.