“This kid looks special”.

I just don't understand how some can't see the potential with this team. If the o-line gels this offense could be a deadly time eater and red zone terror. The secondary on defense looks really good and is dependent upon line and olb play. I just can't fathom the half empty cup attitude of some.

6 hours ago, Williamb said:

I just don't understand how some can't see the potential with this team. If the o-line gels this offense could be a deadly time eater and red zone terror. The secondary on defense looks really good and is dependent upon line and olb play. I just can't fathom the half empty cup attitude of some.

I agree.  Football is reasonably simple, control the line of scrimmage pretty much is job one.  If you can block, run the ball, apply pressure and stop the run, you've achieved a winning formula.  It's all about how well both lines play.  They play well, we have the potential for a good season.  They play poorly, we draft top ten again.

3 hours ago, Williamb said:

If the o-line gels

This is the exact same offensive line that struggled in 2021, with the exception of Mayfield (likely) being replaced by a career backup. They had 17 games to gel and it never happened. I also just don’t see guys like Hennessey and McGary suddenly ‘getting it’. That’s not to say it can’t happen, just seems unlikely and against the trend. 

Now I do love what we’re doing on defense. From the sound of it, the secondary is looking great and we’ve finally got some pieces in the front 7. If I had a hot take for this season, it would be that the Falcons end up with a top 16 scoring defense and a bottom 16 scoring offense. I just can’t come up with any confidence with the OL we have. 

42 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

This is the exact same offensive line that struggled in 2021, with the exception of Mayfield (likely) being replaced by a career backup. They had 17 games to gel and it never happened. I also just don’t see guys like Hennessey and McGary suddenly ‘getting it’. That’s not to say it can’t happen, just seems unlikely and against the trend. 

Now I do love what we’re doing on defense. From the sound of it, the secondary is looking great and we’ve finally got some pieces in the front 7. If I had a hot take for this season, it would be that the Falcons end up with a top 16 scoring defense and a bottom 16 scoring offense. I just can’t come up with any confidence with the OL we have. 

See the source image

40 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Contributing factors to that o line: mayfield as a rookie rt being forced to start at lg (now being supplanted by wilkinson), hennesey 1st yr starting at c fulltime (now being pushed by dalman), mcgary never being physically healthy now a specimen and putting in the work, 1st year in offense with very young players (matthews the only true vet). Once they work together and form a real unit that is on the same page I think we will see an improvement. Add to that, as much as I love and appreciate Matt, he possessed virtually no escapabilty skills. He was not a rushing weapon...mariota is. We have much more this year for defenses to take into account than just trying to beat the guy in front of you.

2 hours ago, Xfactor said:

London will be special but agree we have to develop a great OL.

Yep. London is going to excel whether the OL is great or mediocre. He's got the talent and tools to make plays regardless, but IF the OL is average or above, with London, CP84, the Unicorn, Edwards, Tate and our RB's, our offense is going to be a flat out pain in the backside for DC's. 

5 hours ago, Williamb said:

My guess would be the QB situation.... Just a guess tho. 

3 hours ago, Xfactor said:

London will be special but agree we have to develop a great OL.

Being able to run the football will make our line better.  I think the passing game is going to be simplified quick read type of throws to move the chains rather than drop back scan the field that we saw under Ryan.  Play to the teams strengths and the sum of the parts could be better than last year. 

2 hours ago, dirtybirds233 said:

i disagree our offensive this year is wayyy better then last year. last year it was CP, pitts, and gage or bust this year we have more weapons

When you look at the component parts of our offensive line, not one of them is really all that bad a player.  The secret is do they trust each other?  I would say that they did not trust Mayfield to get it done.  They understood but did not trust him.  So, they had to cheat over to help.  This made the line woefully imbalanced.  They appear to be gelling, although I know its early in TC.  Wilkinson has that veteran presence.  If he a great LG?  Nope.  But he is sound, at least more so than Mayfield as yet.  My hope is Mayfield can be sent back to his natural position, and we can get a LG next season.  Wilkinson is in my book solid depth.

14 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

When you look at the component parts of our offensive line, no one of them is really all that bad a player.  The secret is do they trust each other?  I would say that they did not trust Mayfield to get it done.  They understood but did not trust him.  So, they had to cheat over to help.  This made the line woefully imbalanced.  They appear to be gelling, although I know its early in TC.  Wilkinson has that veteran presence.  If he a great LG?  Nope.  But he is sound, at least more so than Mayfield as yet.  My hope is Mayfield can be sent back to his natural position, and we can get a LG next season.  Wilkinson is in my book solid depth.

People who've never played offensive line aren't aware of the cohesiveness and trust involved in being successful. You have to learn how to have confidence in the guy next to you and to trust him to be there when needed. Group repetitions breed cohesiveness.

1 minute ago, Williamb said:

People who've never played offensive line aren't aware of the cohesiveness and trust involved in being successful. You have to learn how to have confidence in the guy next to you and to trust him to be there when needed. Group repetitions breed cohesiveness.

Spoken like a fellow offensive lineman.  I played RT and TE on offense and DE on defense (small school had to play both ways)

2 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Spoken like a fellow offensive lineman.  I played RT and TE on offense and DE on defense (small school had to play both ways)

Yeah I played lg, started out at lt but was outgrown. People don't understand the bond that has to be formed. These guys are blue collar soldiers. For example, I had a huge smile listening to mcgary talk about bloodline the other day.

33 minutes ago, Williamb said:

Yeah I played lg, started out at lt but was outgrown. People don't understand the bond that has to be formed. These guys are blue collar soldiers. For example, I had a huge smile listening to mcgary talk about bloodline the other day.

A real brotherhood of blood has to be formed along both lines.  My coach used to say that if you let someone through, this would be like letting invaders into your home.  Don't let that happen.  We would take that **** seriously.  

3 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Yep. London is going to excel whether the OL is great or mediocre. He's got the talent and tools to make plays regardless, but IF the OL is average or above, with London, CP84, the Unicorn, Edwards, Tate and our RB's, our offense is going to be a flat out pain in the backside for DC's. 

Loop Waiting GIF

Seems like a lot of kool-aide to me. But i’d love to see it.