I’m starting to think a lot of crow might be being prepared for consumption regarding 2021 Falcons Draft

12 minutes ago, gazoo said:

With many, including one of the writers at The Falcoholic, denigrating last years draft, concluding it was so bad other than Pitts that TF really needed to do better this year in the draft for the team to have any hope in near future, it sure seems to me the more we hear about the players drafted last year the better they seem to get.

Round 1 TE Kyle Pitts. Made pro Bowl as a rookie, likely will be multi year all pro

Round 2 S Richie Grant. It’s being reported he is a camp standout and clearly the best safety on the roster. Him and the best CB in the NFL in AJ Terrell are the only two players capable of covering Pitts. Grant is being mentioned more and more as days of camp go on.

Round 3 LG Jalen Mayfield. Become and instant starter all season. Ok, I’m joking, too early to tell if he’s a bust or if he can play. TBD

Round 4 CB Darren Hall. Starting to hear very good things out of him and he’s likely going to be in the dime packages this year, his arrow is up

Round 5 (1st pick) DT  Ta’Quon Graham. He played a lot last year due to injuries, but he held his own. Reports out of camp is that he is ascendant and it appears he will be a valuable part of our DT rotation for years.

Round 5 (2nd pick) DE Ade Ogundeji.  We are hearing very good things out of camp on this kid. Sounds like he may be breaking out in just year 2. He was in the backfield all day long in Fridays practice and Pees speaks very highly of his upside. He will be valuable part of our DE rotation if not a starter this year. Solid for a 5th round pick.

Round 5 (3rd pick) CB Avery Williams. Specials teams ace, but now his move to RB is showing he could be a valuable chess piece in our RB rotation, particularly on 3rd downs.  Perhaps a poor man’s McCaffrey

Round 6 WR Frank Darby. I am not sure he’ll make final cuts

Overall, just looking at a current snapshot of the situation, it looks like last years draft class could end up being very good overall perhaps landing a perennial All Pro, perhaps one of the best safeties we’ve had in years, a couple of starting DL if not quality rotation pieces and other contributors. The arrow is straight up on last years draft, time will tell just how good it ends up being.

Good teams draft stars and develop quality depth from their drafts. We seem to have finally landed a front office and coaching staff that knows how to do that. Two drafts.. and maybe two home runs. Can’t ask for much more than that from a GM. 

3 minutes ago, TheRisen999 said:

Good teams draft stars and develop quality depth from their drafts. We seem to have finally landed a front office and coaching staff that knows how to do that. Two drafts.. and maybe two home runs. Can’t ask for much more than that from a GM. 

Good teams that can sustain injuries and keep winning have quality depth charts from top to bottom. I see this already starting to transpire.

14 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

That was a very good draft class, if not an excellent one. Time will tell, but the arrow is definitely pointing up on almost everybody by Mayfield. I see some good football ahead for this young team. They're going to be a lot more fun to watch than last year. 

One thing of note, look at all the young defenders mid to late round we got last year. Whether starters or key rotational pieces when was the last time we got anything worth a @&” out of middle to late rounds on defense since the anomalous Grady pick? Heck, many of our 1s and 2nd round picks on defense have been disappointments. 

44 minutes ago, gazoo said:

With many, including one of the writers at The Falcoholic, denigrating last years draft, concluding it was so bad other than Pitts that TF really needed to do better this year in the draft for the team to have any hope in near future, it sure seems to me the more we hear about the players drafted last year the better they seem to get.

Round 1 TE Kyle Pitts. Made pro Bowl as a rookie, likely will be multi year all pro

Round 2 S Richie Grant. It’s being reported he is a camp standout and clearly the best safety on the roster. Him and the best CB in the NFL in AJ Terrell are the only two players capable of covering Pitts. Grant is being mentioned more and more as days of camp go on.

Round 3 LG Jalen Mayfield. Become and instant starter all season. Ok, I’m joking, too early to tell if he’s a bust or if he can play. TBD

Round 4 CB Darren Hall. Starting to hear very good things out of him and he’s likely going to be in the dime packages this year, his arrow is up

Round 5 (1st pick) DT  Ta’Quon Graham. He played a lot last year due to injuries, but he held his own. Reports out of camp is that he is ascendant and it appears he will be a valuable part of our DT rotation for years.

Round 5 (2nd pick) DE Ade Ogundeji.  We are hearing very good things out of camp on this kid. Sounds like he may be breaking out in just year 2. He was in the backfield all day long in Fridays practice and Pees speaks very highly of his upside. He will be valuable part of our DE rotation if not a starter this year. Solid for a 5th round pick.

Round 5 (3rd pick) CB Avery Williams. Specials teams ace, but now his move to RB is showing he could be a valuable chess piece in our RB rotation, particularly on 3rd downs.  Perhaps a poor man’s McCaffrey

Round 6 WR Frank Darby. I am not sure he’ll make final cuts

Overall, just looking at a current snapshot of the situation, it looks like last years draft class could end up being very good overall perhaps landing a perennial All Pro, perhaps one of the best safeties we’ve had in years, a couple of starting DL if not quality rotation pieces and other contributors. The arrow is straight up on last years draft, time will tell just how good it ends up being.

Its exactly these kind of drafts that, if happen consecutively, can stock a roster deep of capable players who can step in when a start goes down.  Whether we get a bunch of starters of a bunch of depth, we drafted capable players who belong in the NFL.

Totally agree.  Great assessment Gazoo.

24 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Good teams that can sustain injuries and keep winning have quality depth charts from top to bottom. I see this already starting to transpire.

Yeah, to have 2 guys go down and still have 10 guys on the roster legitimately competing for those slots says a lot about the job they’re doing bringing in guys talented enough to push for those spots. 

C'mon gazoo, you know they only look good because their competition is terrible. 32nd worst team in the nfl, didn't somebody fill you in.

Now, I jest because I am truly excited to see how these young guys perform this year and they really aren't given any credit......before anybody else says it, I know they need to produce before being given respect. To this I say......suc it

Pitts, obviously is a great pick.

Short leash for Grant and Mayfield. Both seem ready to roll this year. I’ve been taking up for Mayfield all last year because he was a rookie and even though he was getting pushed I think he was doing the work to improve. Grant was a bust last year and I’m really hopeful he also grows and shows up ready. Camp reports are really positive. The rest are soaking roster spots and keeping us from getting where we need to go. Prove it or go play XFL. 

1 hour ago, Killing Floor said:

Pitts, obviously is a great pick.

Short leash for Grant and Mayfield. Both seem ready to roll this year. I’ve been taking up for Mayfield all last year because he was a rookie and even though he was getting pushed I think he was doing the work to improve. Grant was a bust last year and I’m really hopeful he also grows and shows up ready. Camp reports are really positive. The rest are soaking roster spots and keeping us from getting where we need to go. Prove it or go play XFL. 

Being a little hard on ade and taquan aren't you? Can't expect all pro from a 5th rounder but seems to be holding his own.

To me, it feels like the FO amd coaching staff are properly addressing the personnel and money issues of the team. I think that is a huge difference from the past regime. 

I think if last year's draftees improve even slightly from last year this team will be much better. I know the schedule on paper looks tougher but the season hasn't started yet so let's see how that pans out. 

Can't wait to get our first taste Friday night

If Grant reaches his full potential that helps a lot. Mayfield is a big pivot point in the determination of '21 draft success. The arrow is pointing down there. Hall making it anyhere in the rotation is a win. Otherwise, there's not a lot to get excited about so far. We can be optimistic and there's always opportunity for a switch to flip with young players, but let's not get delusional. Considering the lack of depth at most of the positions, if these players aren't at least in competition to start, it's very unlikely they will contribute much. Winning players aren't easy to find on day 3 of the draft so no biggie. Just don't get too attached.

4 hours ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

If Grant reaches his full potential that helps a lot. Mayfield is a big pivot point in the determination of '21 draft success. The arrow is pointing down there. Hall making it anyhere in the rotation is a win. Otherwise, there's not a lot to get excited about so far. We can be optimistic and there's always opportunity for a switch to flip with young players, but let's not get delusional. Considering the lack of depth at most of the positions, if these players aren't at least in competition to start, it's very unlikely they will contribute much. Winning players aren't easy to find on day 3 of the draft so no biggie. Just don't get too attached.

I’m looking at trends, not predicting outcomes. The trends are pointing positive and at this moment some of us are recognizing something is very different around here, in a good way. We are hearing and seeing far more good things on whole out of this camp from last years draft class than I can ever recall. There is always hype about players here and there, but many of last years middle to late round picks already have proven they can play in the NFL whether it be in a reserve roll or possibly as starters as they develop. 

I do disagree the overall grade on the 2021 rests on the success or demise of Mayfield. If Mayfield ends up a bust, this could still be an outstanding draft depending on how the others shake out.

38 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I’m looking at trends, not predicting outcomes. The trends are pointing positive and at this moment some of us are recognizing something is very different around here, in a good way. We are hearing and seeing far more good things on whole out of this camp from last years draft class than I can ever recall. There is always hype about players here and there, but many of last years middle to late round picks already have proven they can play in the NFL whether it be in a reserve roll or possibly as starters as they develop. 

Not sure how anyone who’s followed the Falcons for decades could deny something is different out there right now in player acquisition in both draft and FA. The odds continue each practice to increase that last years draft was much better than some believed. 

I'm all for looking toward the positive but we've had plenty of great pickups in rounds 5-7. I wouldn't go as far as to say we haven't seen this kind of potential is forever. Every position player from the '20 draft is in line or in competition to start. Granted some with more optimism than others.

I think the biggest change so far has been in the minds of the fan base more so than on field potential. This attitude is something we can hopefully maintain through what promises to be a challenging year.

36 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

OK,, I'm willing to lay out what I believe we'll do this year.. Putting my head on the chop block, but this is what I think , we will end up this year, 10 and 7 or 11 and 6.   :slick:

I am all in on the excitement for this team. This off season has been fun. Let's have some fun here, DAMMIT!

It's good to be optimistic, but the fans who considered those players busts were judging them on the actual games played during the 2021 season... You're assuming they're not based on articles written by beat writers during training camp? 

Not ragging on them, but I'll let the season play out first. Until they show otherwise, when it counts, they are who they were and a large part of the reason we're projected as one of the worst teams in the league. 

5 hours ago, ramonezy said:

It's good to be optimistic, but the fans who considered those players busts were judging them on the actual games played during the 2021 season... You're assuming they're not based on articles written by beat writers during training camp? 

Not ragging on them, but I'll let the season play out first. Until they show otherwise, when it counts, they are who they were and a large part of the reason we're projected as one of the worst teams in the league. 

Was All Pro WR Roddy White a bust? 

What about All Pro Patrick Kerney, was he a bust?

Was Ring of Honor 7th round pick Todd McClure a bust?

All of these players looked horrible their rookie seasons and some here actually called them busts. But they weren’t busts.

Calling players busts is drawing a conclusion. I have not drawn conclusions, I’ve only pointed out positive trends as I see them.

5 hours ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

I think the biggest change so far has been in the minds of the fan base more so than on field potential. This attitude is something we can hopefully maintain through what promises to be a challenging year.

I’m not focused at all on wins this season. I’m focused on players developing their skill sets as they relate to the scheme and seeing increasing signs as season goes on of the core players gelling in the schemes.

If we win 5 games it wouldn’t surprise me any more than if we won 10.