Jared Bernhardt Ain’t No Slouch! This kid Has Some Big Potential!

2 words, Chris Hogan. 

Bernhardt won the Tewaarton, the best collegiate D1 lacrosse player of the year. 
After setting records at Maryland in lacrosse he went to Ferris State as a grad student and football quarterback. He promptly went about winning the D2 NCAA championship. 

I am glad he’s getting a chance. He’ll crush it. 

Edited by Killing Floor

I wonder how many WRs were gonna keep. Starters are obviously going to be some kind of mix of London, Edwards, Tate, and Zaccheaus.

I'm not expecting Bernhardt to crack into the roster. I feel like he'll end up on the PS. He hasn't played a ton of football.

I'm sure everyone is aware, but he was apparently like the best lacrosse player in the country for a while. I wonder if it can translate at all. 

I do really like the fringe players that we've been taking flyers on. They're all guys that were very very good where they were before they got signed.

3 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

2 words, Chris Hogan. 

Bernhardt won the Tewaarton, the best collegiate D1 lacrosse player of the year. 
After setting records at Maryland in lacrosse he went to Ferris State as a grad student and football quarterback. He promptly went about winning the D2 NCAA championship. 

I hope so, you can never have too much depth. Especially when it’s guys with plus athletic traits. We need all types of WR’s, I was high on Tyshaun James but I wouldn’t be opposed to Bernhardt grabbing the last WR spot either. He isn’t as big as London, Tate or Edwards but he also isn’t a smaller stretch the field type guy. He’s something different and weapon that could be sneaky good in the slot. 

1 hour ago, ATLskinjob said:

I wonder how many WRs were gonna keep. Starters are obviously going to be some kind of mix of London, Edwards, Tate, and Zaccheaus.

I'm not expecting Bernhardt to crack into the roster. I feel like he'll end up on the PS. He hasn't played a ton of football.

I'm sure everyone is aware, but he was apparently like the best lacrosse player in the country for a while. I wonder if it can translate at all. 

I do really like the fringe players that we've been taking flyers on. They're all guys that were very very good where they were before they got signed.

I like him to make the roster if we keep 6 WR. At that point I think the last spot would come down to Bernhardt, James or Allison. James has started to fade some so I’d say Bernhardt or Allison in which case they’d probably go with the vet but of that experience but again I wouldn’t have a problem with them putting Bernhardt there. If nothing else I hope he makes the practice squad and gets some more seasoning to be ready to compete for a spot next year.

10 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

2 words, Chris Hogan. 

How many former qbs do we have on this **** team? Lol we have to be at like 5 or 6 by now with Anderson, Franks, Bernhardt. I need to see an all QB wildcat at least once this season

Edited by Komic

8 hours ago, ATLskinjob said:

I guess lacrosse must not command much money if the Falcons practice squad is attractive to the best lacrosse player in the US. Shoot, I think the best cornhole player in the US is making more bank than a practice squad guy. Maybe Bernhardt wants to stay in the US and not go overseas to pursue professional lacrosse. 

I think the NFL needs a G League kind of arrangement with the USFL or XFL or something. I agree that athleticism commands a premium with the Falcons organization currently but it is hard to develop enough skill in one camp to outright make a team. We'll see how bringing in the competitiveness as athletes works out. From a fans perspective it is appealing and probably helps to build the team attitude they are looking for. 

Edited by nutsandbolts

7 hours ago, TheRisen999 said:

I like him to make the roster if we keep 6 WR. At that point I think the last spot would come down to Bernhardt, James or Allison. James has started to fade some so I’d say Bernhardt or Allison in which case they’d probably go with the vet but of that experience but again I wouldn’t have a problem with them putting Bernhardt there. If nothing else I hope he makes the practice squad and gets some more seasoning to be ready to compete for a spot next year.

I don't think he really has a shot at the final roster... too green, but he could make the PS. The starters are London, Edwards, Tate and Oz. After that, Byrd and Allison are also getting a lot of attention and good comments, and the last 2 practices, Darby has been mentioned as making good catches. He's also the first guy downfield to the return man on the punt team. This goes without mentioning that AS is like an early Dan Reeves with how he feels about vets. If we keep 6, the 5th and 6th guys will probably be 2 of Darby, Allison, and Byrd. Somewhere you also have to include CP and Franks, not because they're strictly labeled as WRs, but moreso because they are pass catchers, and there just aren't enough balls to go around to 6 WRs. I think Franks has the potential to really light it up with CP, Pitts and London taking all the coverage, and AS might stick with just 5 WRs as he likes to do, but a 6th could really give someone down the depth chart a chance to contribute.

8 hours ago, TheRisen999 said:

I hope so, you can never have too much depth. Especially when it’s guys with plus athletic traits. We need all types of WR’s, I was high on Tyshaun James but I wouldn’t be opposed to Bernhardt grabbing the last WR spot either. He isn’t as big as London, Tate or Edwards but he also isn’t a smaller stretch the field type guy. He’s something different and weapon that could be sneaky good in the slot. 

A season in the practice squad would also do wonders. A receiver who was a quarterback is like a striker who used to be a goalie. You learn the weak and strong points of those connected positions. I agree there’s a potential jackknife player if he puts in the work. 

41 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

A season in the practice squad would also do wonders. A receiver who was a quarterback is like a striker who used to be a goalie. You learn the weak and strong points of those connected positions. I agree there’s a potential jackknife player if he puts in the work. 

I hope the keep him around to develop if nothing else.

55 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

I don't think he really has a shot at the final roster... too green, but he could make the PS. The starters are London, Edwards, Tate and Oz. After that, Byrd and Allison are also getting a lot of attention and good comments, and the last 2 practices, Darby has been mentioned as making good catches. He's also the first guy downfield to the return man on the punt team. This goes without mentioning that AS is like an early Dan Reeves with how he feels about vets. If we keep 6, the 5th and 6th guys will probably be 2 of Darby, Allison, and Byrd. Somewhere you also have to include CP and Franks, not because they're strictly labeled as WRs, but moreso because they are pass catchers, and there just aren't enough balls to go around to 6 WRs. I think Franks has the potential to really light it up with CP, Pitts and London taking all the coverage, and AS might stick with just 5 WRs as he likes to do, but a 6th could really give someone down the depth chart a chance to contribute.

I think CP and Franks will be counted as RB and QB3 respectively and Pitts gets moved around but he’ll be listed as TE1 no doubt . That allows them to keep 6 actual WR’s. Franks doesn’t  have to play strictly at QB just because he’s listed as one and then again he could be the 4th TE. We know Pitts and Firkser are 1 and 2 then it’ll be Franks, Hesse or Fitzpatrick. I think Fisk and Raine hit the practice squad. Byrd’s been looking good so I could definitely see him as the 4th or 5th WR. Realistically I think we’re looking at London, Edwards, OZ, Tate and Byrd if it’s 5. With Hodge being thrown in there if it’s 6 because of his special teams value. Initially I said they’d likely keep Geronimo Allison but someone has to get cut and he doesn’t offer much value past being a WR. If he makes it though that veteran leadership will be good to have. I just think he’s around for training camp for the younger guys to pick up those vet habits now verses keeping him during the season when Hodge is known as a good Special Teams contributor.

1 hour ago, TheRisen999 said:

I think CP and Franks will be counted as RB and QB3 respectively and Pitts gets moved around but he’ll be listed as TE1 no doubt . That allows them to keep 6 actual WR’s. Franks doesn’t  have to play strictly at QB just because he’s listed as one and then again he could be the 4th TE. We know Pitts and Firkser are 1 and 2 then it’ll be Franks, Hesse or Fitzpatrick. I think Fisk and Raine hit the practice squad. Byrd’s been looking good so I could definitely see him as the 4th or 5th WR. Realistically I think we’re looking at London, Edwards, OZ, Tate and Byrd if it’s 5. With Hodge being thrown in there if it’s 6 because of his special teams value. Initially I said they’d likely keep Geronimo Allison but someone has to get cut and he doesn’t offer much value past being a WR. If he makes it though that veteran leadership will be good to have. I just think he’s around for training camp for the younger guys to pick up those vet habits now verses keeping him during the season when Hodge is known as a good Special Teams contributor.

Funny thing about Khadarel Hodge. On varying sites he's listed from 5'11" and 183lbs to 6'2" and 205. And as far as I can tell, it's the same guy (if the photos are an indicator). That's funny right there. AF.com has him at the smaller ht/wt. He's not particularly fast either.

Regardless though, he's a nonfactor as a WR, never having caught more than 200 yards in a season and averaging less than half a reception per game. He would only see the field as a ST guy, and he isn't considered elite or even special at that (at least nowhere I've found; he averaged 5 tackles a year on ST - not even note worthy, and played 40% of ST snaps each year since 2020). He's not much more than a camp body if you ask me. Darby, Allison, Byrd, and Berryhill will all rate higher than Hodge. Bernhardt possibly too.

Though I am hoping we keep 6 WRs, AS has never done that here or in TN. There were times even as recent as last year where we only had 4 WRs on the active roster. Seems like there has to have been a time he's had 6 active, but I can't find it. I just don't think he values WR beyond the top 4 or as much as we all do. I'd expect he keeps LBers and DBs over 6 WRs. But, however he does it will be a big indicator of the depth of talent.