Report: Falcons have tried and failed to trade Deion Jones

Originally posted on SportsTalkATL  |  By Alex Lord  |  Last updated 8/1/22

Deion Jones is the highest-paid linebacker for the upcoming season with a cap hit north of $20 million and has played like anything but the top-earning player at his position. For several seasons now, Debo’s effectiveness has dropped with many concerns about his attitude and leadership qualities. Many speculated he’d be traded this offseason, but nothing has come to fruition. Now, reports have surfaced that the Falcons have tried and failed to trade Jones.

Atlanta just recently placed Jones on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list, which means he cannot be traded or cut but can be activated anytime during training camp or the preseason, complicating any plans to deal the former LSU Tiger. The financial ramifications of parting ways with Jones justify trading him. However, cutting him might not be the most economical decision.

According to OverTheCap, cutting him would create nearly $19 million in dead money with a savings of $1.07 million this season, but the advantage would be him being off the books next season. The Falcons would have cap savings in 2023 of $13.1 million and dead money of $5.3 million. If they did indeed part ways with Jones in this fashion, Atlanta would have a record-breaking $82 million in dead cap, which is 40% of the total cap.

Obviously, that isn’t the ideal scenario. That is a ton more dead money for a team that is already setting records in that sense. If it were the Falcons’ preference, they’d trade him with a June 1st designation. The dead cap figure would only be $5.34 million in 2022 and 2023, with savings of $14.7 million and $13.1 million, respectively.

The Falcons likely aren’t going to be challenging anyone for a playoff spot in 2022, so it won’t exactly create ripples whichever way the team decides. The defense as a whole should improve, so the staff and front office may want to see how he fairs the second season in a new system. However, if he’s considered a negative influence in the locker room, the Falcons might not have a choice in parting ways with Jones.

1 minute ago, Lethal said:

Attitude and leadership qualities eh?  First I have heard of that.  Yikes.

Stating that his performance dropped isn't an issue because it can easily be debated on both sides accurately but this quote right here didn't come from coaches or teammates. This is pure speculation IMO. Same that happened with Grady

1 minute ago, Tribal Chief said:

Stating that his performance dropped isn't an issue because it can easily be debated on both sides accurately but this quote right here didn't come from coaches or teammates. This is pure speculation IMO. Same that happened with Grady

I would love to hear where that came from tbh

10 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Deion Jones is the highest-paid linebacker for the upcoming season with a cap hit north of $20 million and has played like anything but the top-earning player at his position. For several seasons now, Debo’s effectiveness has dropped with many concerns about his attitude and leadership qualities. Many speculated he’d be traded this offseason, but nothing has come to fruition. Now, reports have surfaced that the Falcons have tried and failed to trade Jones.

Atlanta just recently placed Jones on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list, which means he cannot be traded or cut but can be activated anytime during training camp or the preseason, complicating any plans to deal the former LSU Tiger. The financial ramifications of parting ways with Jones justify trading him. However, cutting him might not be the most economical decision.

According to OverTheCap, cutting him would create nearly $19 million in dead money with a savings of $1.07 million this season, but the advantage would be him being off the books next season. The Falcons would have cap savings in 2023 of $13.1 million and dead money of $5.3 million. If they did indeed part ways with Jones in this fashion, Atlanta would have a record-breaking $82 million in dead cap, which is 40% of the total cap.

Obviously, that isn’t the ideal scenario. That is a ton more dead money for a team that is already setting records in that sense. If it were the Falcons’ preference, they’d trade him with a June 1st designation. The dead cap figure would only be $5.34 million in 2022 and 2023, with savings of $14.7 million and $13.1 million, respectively.

The Falcons likely aren’t going to be challenging anyone for a playoff spot in 2022, so it won’t exactly create ripples whichever way the team decides. The defense as a whole should improve, so the staff and front office may want to see how he fairs the second season in a new system. However, if he’s considered a negative influence in the locker room, the Falcons might not have a choice in parting ways with Jones.

just cut him and move on.   Debo not a good fit for new defense and his level of play has dropped off - couple w/ that,  he strikes me as a kid w/o a lot of leadership/intangibles that a young team needs of a vet making what he's making.

Take your medicine and move on.

2 minutes ago, Lethal said:

I would love to hear where that came from tbh

There's no way it came from Quinn and his staff. Certainly can't see it coming from players UNLESS he's one who Grady mentioned the year Quinn was fired. Honestly, it seemed everyone except Matt, Julio, Ridley and Grady had all checked out on the outside looking in

4 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

the difference in personality, persona and leadership between Grady and Debo is night and day.   Not close to the same player off-field and leadership.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

the difference in personality, persona and leadership between Grady and Debo is night and day.   Not close to the same player off-field and leadership.

Does that take away the pure fact that that stupid assumption was made about Grady from fans, including on this very message board?

8 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

What is best for the Falcons given these facts is to aid Debo get back to what he can be.  Certainly better defensive line play behooves all parties 

At this point I'd agree.  If they cannot even find a trade partner, the return would be next to nothing and the dead cap would be pointless.  Let him play out the year, hope he kinda/sorta shows glimpses of his former self and hope someone pays him so we get a comp pick.

This is sad.

7 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

Even if true, we don't need Debo at his peak to be the best LB on the roster. He has a better unit around him, so instead of making plays everywhere, he just needs to do his job. And I believe he's more than capable of doing that. Do I expect him to play up to his $20 million salary? Nah. Do I think he can be a definite asset instead of a liability? Absolutely. I hope we keep him and can get better play, if not a return to peak Debo.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

just cut him and move on.   Debo not a good fit for new defense and his level of play has dropped off - couple w/ that,  he strikes me as a kid w/o a lot of leadership/intangibles that a young team needs of a vet making what he's making.

Take your medicine and move on.

I know but we’ve taken a couple of entire bottles of that yucky red medicine already.

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bjmn0h8u5x3x8l7p8ru

He was DQ's boy and was clearly a very good fit in the prior system, so I understand he may not like the changes being made.  How he responds now will dictate his future, though.  He can man up and show us he can still be a great and productive player or he can sulk and hurt his future value.       

6 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

There's no way it came from Quinn and his staff. Certainly can't see it coming from players UNLESS he's one who Grady mentioned the year Quinn was fired. Honestly, it seemed everyone except Matt, Julio, Ridley and Grady had all checked out on the outside looking in

What did Grady say?  I don't remember.  I kinda vaguely remember him calling people out who weren't bought in or something?

1 minute ago, hjerry said:

Did I miss something? Where in that article is the report that we've tried and failed to trade him? All I saw was speculation on if we should.

18 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

Exactly why I think It’s bs. This the first report all offseason about trades.  Not what teams inquiried nothing 

1 minute ago, GrimeyKidd said:

Exactly why I think It’s bs. This the first report all offseason about trades.  Not what teams inquiried nothing 

Yeah I hate to discredit Sports Talk ATL but it's just hard to believe journalist who may or may not have a particular opinion about particular players. This could very well be true but it's just difficult to believe man. It's better when there's no bias from the bigger names

Good Grief.

Step 1. Its ATLsportstalk Article. You can immediately know it has zero facts.

Step 2. No one has or is reporting that we tried and failed to trade him

Step 3. Many actual, real media outlets have discussed the benefits to putting Deon on the PUP so that they can trade him.... Not a hinderance!

haha now schultz says we have failed in attempts. Still not a solid argument but at least a credible voice.

Edited by runshoot

11 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Did I miss something? Where in that article is the report that we've tried and failed to trade him? All I saw was speculation on if we should.

10 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

Not a lot of beef here in this article but who knows.