Deshaun Watson suspended 6 games

xianshino

3 hours ago, midas_whale said:

I happen to think Calvin's is right.  But if you're going to give DW six games for what he did, then Calvin should take the field in the second half of game 1. 

Nobody cares about Ridley at this point though. It's not like Ridley supporters are going to be vocal and force them to amend his suspension. For all we know he doesn't want back? Nobody knows where his head is these days anyway.

I'd love him back before the trade deadline, so he could be shipped out of town for a pick.

Edited by Swayzee

Just now, Swayzee said:

Nobody cares about Ridley at this point though. It's not like Ridley supporters are going to be vocal and force them to amend his suspension. For all we know he doesn't want back? Nobody know where his head is these days.

I'd love him back before the trade deadline, so he could be shipped out of town for a pick.

Yeah just to be clear I should have said "eligible to take the field in the second half of game 1."  Cause like you I'd be shipping him!

Ridley's cap being suspended for the coming season is a WIN for the Falcons.  Let it play out and see where Ridley is, and get the most you can for him because for some reason, receivers are moving at a premium.

Losers: Probably Cleveland... they have this huge guaranteed salary and a QB who hasnt played in quite a while and a ton of empty first rounders ahead.  They also have a alleged sex offender prowling their streets, being targeted by possible opportunists --- and the media sideshow that goes along with it

Winners: Houston - breathe deep.  Its someone else's problem now

Bringing it all back to Ridley, it does show there is a market and tolerance for players who have troubles outside of the game.  More time to work on your mentals, come back in 2023 and lets see what you got 

I said in a few other threads I get the idea that Deshaun Watson's case is different from Ridley's, but the reported justification from Judge Robinson -- and I can't find this verified in print other than below (and I don't know the source well enough to comment on its veracity), I just heard it on the radio this morning -- was that his conduct was "non-violent" sexual abuse.  That just doesn't wash.  Ben Roethlisberger got the same suspension for allegedly raping a woman.

"Six games does not seem to be enough to me, but apparently the arbiter felt that six games was the standard for the first investigation of violating the personal conduct policy, particularly for "non-violent" sexual misconduct."

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2022/deshaun-watson-suspended-six-games

I mean, you can call it what you want, but if a guy did that to my wife or daughters, I'm not thinking we let those actions be diminished on the ground that no one got a scrape or a black eye out of the deal.  Force is violence.

44 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

An entire season for Calvin Ridley. The most NFL thing ever.

You can do almost whatever you want to people on your own time with minimal repercussions, but mess with the money and there will be **** to pay. Goes to show what the NFL prioritizes.

9 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

Ridley's cap being suspended for the coming season is a WIN for the Falcons.  Let it play out and see where Ridley is, and get the most you can for him because for some reason, receivers are moving at a premium.

Losers: Probably Cleveland... they have this huge guaranteed salary and a QB who hasnt played in quite a while and a ton of empty first rounders ahead.  They also have a alleged sex offender prowling their streets, being targeted by possible opportunists --- and the media sideshow that goes along with it

Winners: Houston - breathe deep.  Its someone else's problem now

Bringing it all back to Ridley, it does show there is a market and tolerance for players who have troubles outside of the game.  More time to work on your mentals, come back in 2023 and lets see what you got 

I get what you're saying, but I'd rather have Ridley on the field than off. Hopefully he gets his mind right sooner than later.

For what it's worth, I think Ridley's suspension is completely fair.  It's Watson's that is the problem.  And I think a shorter suspension can be justified, but if she is convinced he did it, then 6 games is pretty silly on those grounds.

"First offense, non-violent."  The truth is it's multiple serial offenses and "non-violent" is charitable, to put it mildly.

Just now, JDaveG said:

No, I get that it's only a recommendation.  Goodell can impose whatever he wants.  The point is, the justification is horse squeeze.

He can impose whatever he wants but knows he'll face legal issues from Deshaun because he wasn't found criminally guilty. 

He wanted what he wanted but used Sue as a legal safeguard which the NFLPA backed. He would get hammered either way.