Arthur Smith’s Demeanor And The Local Media…

I’ve been watching all of the pressers lately and it really seems like the media have been asking really good football questions. Even D. Led had a few good professional questions on day two. Last season Smith had a propensity to either not give much of an answer to or straight up not answering any questions that leaned into sensationalism or hot takes. 

This season it seems as if the media has realized if they’re going to get Smith to give them content they can actually use they’re going to have to stick to poignant football questions. IMO this has made for better press conferences. I think it also results in a little more respect for the team overall.

41 minutes ago, TheRisen999 said:

I’ve been watching all of the pressers lately and it really seems like the media have been asking really good football questions. Even D. Led had a few good professional questions on day two. Last season Smith had a propensity to either not give much of an answer to or straight up not answering any questions that leaned into sensationalism or hot takes. 

This season it seems as if the media has realized if they’re going to get Smith to give them content they can actually use they’re going to have to stick to poignant football questions. IMO this has made for better press conferences. I think it also results in a little more respect for the team overall.

Good observation, I think that is great because so many press conferences are complete fluff and Smith just isn't having it.  

8 minutes ago, Pa_Falcon_Fan said:

Good observation, I think that is great because so many press conferences are complete fluff and Smith just isn't having it.  

Right, I think he’s trying to build something respectable here and that’s in all aspects. We’ve been the butt if TOO MANY jokes the last few years. I’m glad to have someone here that wants to bring credibility back to this thing.

I also think on some level Smith learned that what works for Belichick has to be earned. 
DLed isn’t trying to get under his skin or make football experts think he’s a hater. He’s trying to ask the questions the fans are asking. And no coach of a losing team in any sport wants to be under a microscope answering bandwagon fan questions. But most people who read/watch sports journalism are casual fans. DLed will ask questions Smith likes when we start 4-0 instead of 0-4. I have no problem with any coach answering for poor performance. 
I think Smith got some mentoring for the press. 

30 minutes ago, hjerry said:

In before someone complains about him not having earned the right to talk to the media like that

He hasn’t. Belichick has. That’s the difference. Until we have a winning record the media abuse is part of his job.  Note I’m not saying Smith is to blame for the situation he inherited. Just saying it’s his job to fix it and media relations are part of his job. No doubt he hates that part as do many head coaches. I just don’t have any empathy. 

7 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

He hasn’t. Belichick has. That’s the difference. Until we have a winning record the media abuse is part of his job.  Note I’m not saying Smith is to blame for the situation he inherited. Just saying it’s his job to fix it and media relations are part of his job. No doubt he hates that part as do many head coaches. I just don’t have any empathy. 

To paraphrase the immortal words of Keith Armstrong.

You gotta be good enough to be an *******.

38 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

He has to respond to ignorant and leading questions until he has a winning season??????????????????????????????????????????????

15 minutes ago, NorthGaBoy said:

He has to respond to ignorant and leading questions until he has a winning season??????????????????????????????????????????????

Right

Dean Pees is the exact same way. When a stupid question comes, AS and Pees both let the reporter have it. It is NOT their job to coddle people who are supposed to be professionals. Dled being the prime example of a person who is labeled as a professional but is not. Every 1st question from Dled is "how are things going so far". WTH kind of generic question is that?  And then the AJC has the nerve to put Dleds article "5 things we learned in came today" behind a pay wall. Are you kidding me? Follow some of the falcon twitter fans and get REAL information for free.

I hope AS continues to grind the media in Atlanta and specifically DLed. They all deserve it with their hot takes and pot stirring and BS questions. Thinking its what the fans want to know is problem number 1. Most fans are idiots and thus ask idiot questions. TAFT has a pool of these fans, we should know its a bad idea to ask "fan questions".

37 minutes ago, NorthGaBoy said:

He can respond to the media however he wants. Despite any opinions that the internet may have, he doesn't need anyone's permission to talk a certain way

1 hour ago, Killing Floor said:

Did Belichick wait till the internet said he had earned it before he started talking the way he does?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hjerry said:

In before someone complains about him not having earned the right to talk to the media like that

I’d say he earned the right as soon as he was hired. My Granny used to say you have to teach people how to treat you.. It appears the Atlanta Media has understood the assignment llh🤣

Edited by TheRisen999

1 hour ago, Killing Floor said:

I also think on some level Smith learned that what works for Belichick has to be earned. 
DLed isn’t trying to get under his skin or make football experts think he’s a hater. He’s trying to ask the questions the fans are asking. And no coach of a losing team in any sport wants to be under a microscope answering bandwagon fan questions. But most people who read/watch sports journalism are casual fans. DLed will ask questions Smith likes when we start 4-0 instead of 0-4. I have no problem with any coach answering for poor performance. 
I think Smith got some mentoring for the press. 

Don’t know if Smith got mentored or if the media adjusted ( it appears they have) but the vibe is more in line with what Arthur can jive with because he’s even having a little fun up there now. It could be both things working in tandem, whatever has caused the shift it’s noticeable in a good way.

4 hours ago, TheRisen999 said:

As it should ******* be. 

Last year our media team was flat out embarrassing during 90 percent of the press conferences.

D led would repetitively ask about private injury updates and get denied every single time. 

Plus they tried to FORCE conversations to be about Julio well pass it's expiration date when we had a roster full of other players to talk about instead

2 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

To paraphrase the immortal words of Keith Armstrong.

You gotta be good enough to be an *******.

I forgot that dudes name from hard knocks who was all talk but could barely crack special teams before getting cutted. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Komic said:

As it should ******* be. 

Last year our media team was flat out embarrassing during 90 percent of the press conferences.

D led would repetitively ask about private injury updates and get denied every single time. 

Plus they tried to FORCE conversations to be about Julio well pass it's expiration date when we had a roster full of other players to talk about instead

Exactly and I think they way Smith has taken command of the media narrative is the same way he’s taken command of this team and has started to shape it into something that will be respected once the results come. 

Edited by TheRisen999

1 hour ago, TheRisen999 said:

Don’t know if Smith got mentored or if the media adjusted ( it appears they have) but the vibe is more in line with what Arthur can jive with because he’s even having a little fun up there now. It could be both things working in tandem, whatever has caused the shift it’s noticeable in a good way.

That’s what I see. Blank is a very savvy guy.  I’d assume he directly or through a messenger said “lighten up, Francis”. 
Nobody asks him to like pressers. Just don’t act dismissive or worse because the message it send is a lack of concern. 
I think he’s doing better this year.