Kyle Smith VP Player of Personnel Presser

22 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

This is something people don't talk about enough.  Some folks here seem to think they just went after a bunch of tall guys, but they're looking for guys who are open even when covered, and the line "it helps to be physical" applies not only to pass catching, but also blocking in the run game and yards after the catch.

They know what they're doing.

And the next tweet about having fast-twitch guys -- we still have those guys.  The problem is last season that's all we had, and they weren't even that fast.  Small and fast is great.  Small and "meh" is not.  You have to balance it out.  We didn't sign a bunch of huge receivers because that's all we want.  We signed them because we literally didn't have any last season.

19 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

This is something people don't talk about enough.  Some folks here seem to think they just went after a bunch of tall guys, but they're looking for guys who are open even when covered, and the line "it helps to be physical" applies not only to pass catching, but also blocking in the run game and yards after the catch.

They know what they're doing.

And the next tweet about having fast-twitch guys -- we still have those guys.  The problem is last season that's all we had, and they weren't even that fast.  Small and fast is great.  Small and "meh" is not.  You have to balance it out.  We didn't sign a bunch of huge receivers because that's all we want.  We signed them because we literally didn't have any last season.

I think its more of we have a WR profile and it just so happens to be people who fit that profile are usually bigger receivers. 

One thing that you mention, that has me looking is. People, here and everywhere, keep saying we have a slow receiving core but i am wondering what our short area quickness numbers are. I know Tate is knocked for his long speed but back in college, he just caught balls. They talk about London but he some how put of numbers that some people put up in a year in 8 weeks. He might not beat you over the top with a fly route but you getting the work on the whole route tree. Same with Edwards. 

Its funny that no one complained that Gage who ran a 4.3 never beat people over the top or ran away from anyone. I think people want every receiver to be Tyreke Hill and we might have 2 Cooper Kupps (who ran a 4.6 for those playing along). Kupp looks plenty fast for me.

Kyle Smith was an underrated pick-up.  He is only 37-years old and was couple of years ago considered one of the top candidates for the DC GM position.  I think he and Rivera butted heads a bit which led to him being passed over and leaving, but he is by all accounts a very good personnel guy.   

45 minutes ago, 215FalconsFanatic said:

I think its more of we have a WR profile and it just so happens to be people who fit that profile are usually bigger receivers. 

May be, but they made it a point to keep Zacchaeus and they picked up Byrd.  I think they want a mix of WRs, with the main guys being bigger to assist in the run game and catch contested balls on the outside.  I think they likely view the smaller guys more as slot/utility players they'll use to take shots downfield and stretch the defense.