“No limitations” on what Falcons will ask quarterbacks to do

“No limitations” on what Falcons will ask quarterbacks to do

Posted by Josh Alper on July 21, 2022, 9:23 AM EDT
The Falcons made a major change this offseason when they traded Matt Ryan to the Colts.

Ryan had been the starting quarterback in Atlanta since joining the team as a 2008 first-round pick, so his departure marks a new direction for the franchise. They signed Marcus Mariota as a free agent and drafted Desmond Ridder in the third round as they began to chart a new course.

One might imagine that the change at quarterback would lead to diminished expectations at the position in the short term, but quarterbacks coach Dave Ragone said that will not be the case.

“There are no limitations on the quarterbacks and what we are going to ask them to do,” Ragone said, via D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “We’re going to try to grow with them and evolve with what we think makes the most sense. We’ll get the feedback from them and more importantly, when you watch the film, seeing where they are most comfortable. Obviously, that’s what we’ll do.”

The issue in Atlanta won’t be limitations in what they ask of the quarterbacks as much as what limitations the quarterbacks show on the field. Ryan didn’t have many and that made life easier for the Falcons offense, but the new look is likely to reveal new shortcomings in Atlanta.

6 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I like the thought process.

We’ve all been awaiting mobility at this position group.  
It really changes the dynamics of our capabilities & how teams must respect this aspect of our scheme.

I agree with you, this should give more 3rd down conversions and tie up a defensive player watching the QB.

5 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

It really changes the dynamics of our capabilities & how teams must respect this aspect of our scheme.

Hash I haven’t I been waiting for a Run game so our vet ex QB could have done less.

I’m still waiting for the very same with what we have at QB now.Scramble by design with what we have is asking to shorten there career.

I want to see guys like we have win under centre so it opens up these lanes to run not the other way round.

Teams are to smart now without a  run game mobile guys are on the clock.

Cool. Let’s go!

I think even a marginal improvement in our front will help offset the QB change. MM isn’t Ryan do don’t come at me. But MM (or Ridder) with a more seasoned line and better RBs and receivers is as good as MR2 behind the saloon doors he played behind last year. So we may surprise some people. MM may surprise. 

10 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Hash I haven’t I been waiting for a Run game so our vet ex QB could have done less.

I’m still waiting for the very same with what we have at QB now.Scramble by design with what we have is asking to shorten there career.

I want to see guys like we have win under centre so it opens up these lanes to run not the other way round.

Teams are to smart now without a  run game mobile guys are on the clock.

I know, I know, I know… I’m really trying man.  What’s been the longer wait? Pass rush or running game blocking?  

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bgphf4xysylodkbqpkw

On 7/21/2022 at 12:42 PM, HASHBROWN3 said:

That is assuming they respect the passing as well. 

If we swapped out for mobility for inaccuracy or poor decision making, it will not be a better situation. 

2 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

That is assuming they respect the passing as well. 

If we swapped out for mobility for inaccuracy or poor decision making, it will not be a better situation. 

Def need balance 👍

20 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I’m just concerned about the passing game falling off so much that we don’t even notice an improved running attack, because they are putting 15 in the box!

Passing game sucked last year and in 2020 and in 2019.