I don't think that lack of discipline or accountability was ever the problem with this Falcons team.

It's obvious that after the 2021 season the problem was lack of talent and/or bad scheming. 

Dan Quinn's players coach style was never the problem it was lack of talent with a little mix of incompetent coaching.

The point I'm trying to make is just bringing in a hard nosed coaching staff by itself won't fix the problem. They won't be successful unless they bring in the right players and do a good job coaching.

In hindsight it's looking like Thomas Dimitroff is more responsible for this dumpster fire we are dealing with today than anyone. Probably 75-80 percent of the blame is on him imo.

19 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

can't have it both ways. TD was successful with 2 different head coaches, and both came close or went to the Super Bowl. probably 75-80 percent of the success is on him too

I think it was complacency after the 2016 season and poor decisions on the staff post KS. 

22 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

can't have it both ways. TD was successful with 2 different head coaches, and both came close or went to the Super Bowl. probably 75-80 percent of the success is on him too

True. I don't know what happened. Maybe just bad luck. I thought Takk McKinley and Kaleb McGary would have been real good. 

The season after the SB, Atlanta made the playoffs and lost to Philly in a game they easily could have won. It was after that things went badly. Missed on some draft picks, high contracts given out that shouldn't, and DQ's maddening ability to blow games after being ahead at halftime.

So like most things in life, it was a combination of factors that caused failure.

9 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

They won't be successful unless they bring in the right players and do a good job coaching.

Serious question because I know based on all of these questions that you ask that you're paying attention to what's happening.............what in the heck do you think they've done since arriving? Serious question

I think the long term problems were personnel.  Sure, there was some coaching stuff that past coaches got wrong.  However, I think we were built wrong and we had crap personnel when we were deficient in an area.

Our defense sucked.  Falcons leaned more "offensive" heavy than anything.  We got lucky with the 2016 draft and a player or two from the 2017 & 2018 draft.  That got us some defensive talent, but defense was never something the organization hung its hat on or even considered an equal need.

Despite being an offensive team, we never focused on the running game.  Again, we had Freeman and Coleman in 2015-2018 and that made a big difference.  However, the Falcons were not going to bolster the O-line to help the running game.  We just so happen to have to backs that complimented each other and worked well with our personnel.  Throw in an injury to one, then free agency for the other and no more running game.  Since then trying to run the ball has been terrible.  O-line can't move guys or open holes for backs.  As long as they could get in the way and Ryan could pass to a lot of talented pass catchers, the organization was fine.

To me, its the a "broken clock is right twice a day" scenario.  We happened to find our way to a few defensive pieces starting 2016.  We happened to find a running game starting in 2015.  Good management/personnel departments should address these issues.  I know you can't have everything, but we for all of Ryan's time here were obsessed with offensive receiving weapons.

It goes deeper than that.  Its historical.  We were an expansion professional football team in the heart of college ball country.  We had a rough go of it early on.  "Happy to be here" was really what we were.  A culture of football excellence was never really formed.  We have had our high points, and at times we have been a great team.  But those were blips.  So, it carries over continuously.  There is no vision of who we are, and I do believe that we are in the infancy of that changing.   However, fighting decades of being a leaf in the wind really has taken its toll.  You really cannot blame any one person.  It's hard to levy the finger at anyone.  One can argue the Smith's were horrible owners and led this franchise of futility into one dead end after another.  But for me, we need a buck stops here moment and CONTINUITY of thought, commitment and vision.  

14 hours ago, raysnill1 said:

ill die on the hill that Matt Ryan and to a lesser extent Julio is the only reason we were ever in contention, and we struck gold at the right time the right season with the right people... a franchise/future HoF QB can do that with a mediocre team

people don't want to admit Ryan elevated the team, but my god we would have sucked without him 

10 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

It goes deeper than that.  Its historical.  We were an expansion professional football team in the heart of college ball country.  We had a rough go of it early on.  "Happy to be here" was really what we were.  A culture of football excellence was never really formed.  We have had our high points, and at times we have been a great team.  But those were blips.  So, it carries over continuously.  There is no vision of who we are, and I do believe that we are in the infancy of that changing.   However, fighting decades of being a leaf in the wind really has taken its toll.  You really cannot blame any one person.  It's hard to levy the finger at anyone.  One can argue the Smith's were horrible owners and led this franchise of futility into one dead end after another.  But for me, we need a buck stops here moment and CONTINUITY of thought, commitment and vision.  

I feel like that's what happened with Kirby at UGA... the dude just came in pissed as **** and said we're winning a ******* championship and did. He would not be stopped by history or fear of Saban. 

Snitker to a lesser extent, and even Nate pulling the Hawks together to make the ECF for the first time in half a century also happened. I hope Arthur Smith has that fire. 

22 minutes ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

ill die on the hill that Matt Ryan and to a lesser extent Julio is the only reason we were ever in contention, and we struck gold at the right time the right season with the right people... a franchise/future HoF QB can do that with a mediocre team

people don't want to admit Ryan elevated the team, but my god we would have sucked without him 

Ryan definitely elevated the team. But, I am of the opinion that we let some valuable unit coordinators leave and replaced them with incapable people. The cherry on top was to not allow them to adjust the team to its strengths and insist on running a system that we were not equipped to run. Prime examples: letting Lafleur leave, bringing in Sark and insisting he run shanny's offense, koetter.

36 minutes ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

Amen.

34 minutes ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

I feel like that's what happened with Kirby at UGA... the dude just came in pissed as **** and said we're winning a ******* championship and did. He would not be stopped by history or fear of Saban. 

Snitker to a lesser extent, and even Nate pulling the Hawks together to make the ECF for the first time in half a century also happened. I hope Arthur Smith has that fire. 

Atlanta franchises still battle that stigma of college country.  Until they can set that aside, it will always be an uphill thing.  I think the Braves have done that.  And the Atlanta United are a solid team.  But, the Falcons and Hawks have a ways to go.  Have to fight the years of futility, and make these franchises winners.  Accepting any less is criminal.

42 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Atlanta franchises still battle that stigma of college country.  Until they can set that aside, it will always be an uphill thing.  I think the Braves have done that.  And the Atlanta United are a solid team.  But, the Falcons and Hawks have a ways to go.  Have to fight the years of futility, and make these franchises winners.  Accepting any less is criminal.

Yeah I left out ATL United because they just showed up and immediately won a chip and kicked everyone's *****. It was like the Baltimore Ravens (even though they were the Browns before...). 

16 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

It's obvious that after the 2021 season the problem was lack of talent and/or bad scheming. 

Dan Quinn's players coach style was never the problem it was lack of talent with a little mix of incompetent coaching.

The point I'm trying to make is just bringing in a hard nosed coaching staff by itself won't fix the problem. They won't be successful unless they bring in the right players and do a good job coaching.

In hindsight it's looking like Thomas Dimitroff is more responsible for this dumpster fire we are dealing with today than anyone. Probably 75-80 percent of the blame is on him imo.

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/2020-nfl-season-saints-falcons-headline-10-most-talented-teams

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/tabeek-s-nfl-power-rankings-falcons-in-top-10-heading-into-2019

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/early-bird-report-falcons-among-nfl-s-most-talented-teams-for-2018

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/25/falcons-ranked-no-3-most-talented-team-in-the-nfl/