Jump to content

Why do you think Desmond Ridder didn't get drafted until the 3rd round?


Recommended Posts

Desmond Ridder seemed shocked when he wasn't drafted until the 3rd round.

Most NFL analysis thought he would be drafted in the 2nd round after Malik Willis was drafted. 

Do you think that Desmond Ridder being drafted in the 3rd round is a sign that NFL teams don't have a lot of confidence in him? Or that NFL teams just didn't need a QB?

You have to remember the Falcons picked 3 different players before Desmond Ridder. If the Falcons really thought Desmond Ridder was the future you would think that they would have drafted him a little bit sooner. Your thoughts?

On a side note there are quite a few NFL quarterbacks that have won a super bowl that were drafted 3rd or later. Including the 2 greatest of all time.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Desmond Ridder seemed shocked when he wasn't drafted until the 3rd round.

Most NFL analysis thought he would be drafted in the 2nd round after Malik Willis was drafted. 

Do you think that Desmond Ridder being drafted in the 3rd round is a sign that NFL teams don't have a lot of confidence in him? Or that NFL teams just didn't need a QB?

You have to remember the Falcons picked 3 different players before Desmond Ridder. If the Falcons really thought Desmond Ridder was the future you would think that they would have drafted him a little bit sooner. Your thoughts?

On a side note there are quite a few NFL quarterbacks that have won a super bowl that were drafted 3rd or later. Including the 2 greatest of all time.

 

 

because you are either viewed as a potential franchise QB or your not.

The NFL viewed Willis, Ridder, Corral and SamUNC with ceilings as lower tier starters or career back-ups.

 

If you are a GM and you believe this, you aren't taken in the 1st round.      This was a deep draft in 2nd round so NFL GMs were reluctant to pull the trigger in the 2nd round as well.   Were the NFL GMs right?   Time will tell.

The Falcons GM passed on all these QBs three times as well - so Fontenot isn't "all in" on Ridder either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

because you are either viewed as a potential franchise QB or your not.

The NFL viewed Willis, Ridder, Corral and SamUNC with ceilings as lower tier starters or career back-ups.

 

If you are a GM and you believe this, you aren't taken in the 1st round.      This was a deep draft in 2nd round so NFL GMs were reluctant to pull the trigger in the 2nd round as well.   Were the NFL GMs right?   Time will tell.

The Falcons GM passed on all these QBs three times as well - so Fontenot isn't "all in" on Ridder either.

All this plus “NFL Analysts” are really just part of the clueless media. 
 

What makes the nfl draft so fascinating is that even after all these years, still no one truly knows which players will turn out golden and which ones will be busts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

The NFL viewed Willis, Ridder, Corral and SamUNC with ceilings as lower tier starters or career back-ups.

 

If you are a GM and you believe this, you aren't taken in the 1st round.      This was a deep draft in 2nd round so NFL GMs were reluctant to pull the trigger in the 2nd round as well.   Were the NFL GMs right?   Time will tell.

I believe that this hits nail right on the head.

You could almost see it unfolding in real time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of it was an odd offseason coupled with a sort of "new school" way of viewing the QB position.  Teams are tired of reaching in the first round, and in a draft where they didn't have to, they just chose not to.  Look at all the QB movement in the offseason, not to mention the season before when Stafford was traded for Goff.  Teams had the QB situation sorted out in free agency, and did not feel the need to reach.  It's really that simple.

Granted, in a more stacked QB class you'd have had some reaches anyway, but last season the one guy I didn't think was a reach in the top 5 was Lawrence, and he didn't have a great season.  Lance barely played.  Fields had a poor season.  Zach Wilson had a poor season (2,334 yards and 9 TDs over 11 INTs).  The only one of those guys that did anything was Mac Jones, and surprise surprise, he went to a team that was already solid everywhere else and had Cam Newton starting the season prior.  If Lawrence or Fields or Wilson or even Lance went to that team, they'd have done better too.  But even Mac Jones didn't play up to a top 5 billing (good thing he wasn't drafted there).

Teams are figuring out that you can address QB in FA or the draft or both, and if you don't burn perennial top 5 picks on those guys, you can win in the meantime while you wait for the guy to come to you.  In some respects it's a statement about the class for sure.  If Ridder had the accolades a guy like Lawrence had, he'd have gone top 5 anyway.  But he didn't, he's from a smaller school, and he was viewed as having some issues that I think are not nearly as important as his potential upside.  The thing for us is this -- he's the only guy I wanted us to even look at with the no. 8 pick if we had to take a QB there, and we got him in the 3rd round.  Zero pressure, very little cost, and all upside.  That's a good draft philosophy.

It's why I said in the other thread, you don't reach for a guy that high.  If we'd drafted Fields last year Pitts would be somewhere else and we'd have Fields, a guy who didn't do much last season and wouldn't do much here without any weapons.  What we did is stock up the offense with weapons, built the defense and then got a guy in the 3rd who can play behind the former no. 2 overall pick until that guy gets hurt or Ridder outperforms him.  It's an easy transition for him, a low risk transaction for us, and it allows us to build the other 21 starting roster spots so he can have a chance to be successful.  Win-win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Put another way, if Ridder completely busts it cost us a 3rd.  No one is crying about it.  If he's a competent backup he's a great value because we can trade him for assets down the line.  If he's a starter, we stole him.

Someone show me the downside here?  Even if he slid because he isn't good enough to go in the 1st round, what's the loss to the Atlanta Falcons?  We took him in the 3rd!  And if he's Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott, you just solidified that position for a long time.  If he's not?  Who cares?

Conversely, what's the loss if you drafted Lawrence, Wilson, Lance or Fields last season and they continue to play like they have?  Like, you gave up the no. 1 overall pick for a guy who put up 3,600 yards and threw 12 TDs but 17 INTs?  And for those who say "well, those QBs have time to grow," go look at Matt Ryan's rookie numbers.  Less yards than Lawrence, but more TDs and fewer INTs in a 16 game season.  And he took his team to the playoffs.  Or if you really want to get sick, look at Mahomes' first year as a starter.  In the NFL, usually the QB shows something that first year as a starter.  In that sense, Trey Lance is the QB from 2021 with the most upside, because he still has a chance to step in and own the job.  The other three are behind the 8-ball big time.  And for every Josh Allen that is a late bloomer, you have a ton of guys like Alex Smith or Mitchell Trubisky or Jared Goff.  Throwing a guy in before he's ready usually stunts his growth more than it results in his career blossoming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There weren’t that many teams needing a QB as their first priority. 
 

All of the quarterbacks in this draft class had some question marks.  Ridder, Willis, Pickett, Howell, Corral, they all have some unknowns and all could be either great or a project. 
 

As for Ridder, I think we found our guy. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe it’s a combination of both…

Most teams were already set at the position, but also take into account that no team had this QB class ranked high.

I’m ok with it though…if Ridder lives up to his potential, then we got a steal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Durrty said:

I believe it’s a combination of both…

Most teams were already set at the position, but also take into account that no team had this QB class ranked high.

I’m ok with it though…if Ridder lives up to his potential, then we got a steal.

If you think about it, it's kind of a blessing in disguise for the Falcons and for Ridder.  Ridder is mad that he wasn't taken in the first.  Like, hopping mad.  He knows he's better than that.  He wants that contract and those dollars and that respect.

But if we'd taken him at 8, we wouldn't have Drake London.  If we took him in the 2nd we wouldn't have Ebiketie or Andersen.  The QB's chances for success early are largely dependent on the team around him (not surprisingly, that's also true of the QB's chances for success later on).  We have the cap and roster flexibility to build a serious team around Ridder.  The only thing that sucks for him is if he gets hurt and washes out of the league.  If that happens, he lost a lot of money.  But that's what insurance is for.  The upside is putting those pieces in place before throwing him to the wolves gives him a better chance for a long NFL career, and it gives us a better chance at building a legit winning team.  And Ridder is the type of personality that is going to burn until he gets to prove he is what no one thought he was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's slow to go through his reads, and had an offense that didn't always ask him to go past his first. He also missed a lot of throws in college he shouldn't have. Very raw as far as how much experience with pro concepts he has. 

Teams always need QB's. The QB's this draft class just didn't pop in any exceptional way. Doesn't mean any of them can't become great, but they're not generally considered immediate starters. Even Pickett may not start day 1 over Trubisky. Ridder was a decent value pick in the 3rd but none of these QB's this year really should have been drafted before the 3rd imo, including Pickett.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Jesus said:

The NFL overdrafted QBs in 2021. As a result they undervalued QBs in 2022. 

I predict Ridder will have a better career than any of the QBs taken before Pitts.

I agree with this.  Teams reached last year and the results weren't great so I think we saw an overcorrection this year by letting the QBs slide.  While I'm not sure I'd go so far as saying Ridder will have a better career than everyone drafted before Pitts last year, I think he his floor is no lower than any of them.  I think that puts him on par with any of them with the potential to be as good as if not better given his processing ability, dedication to getting better, and leadership.   If he can correct his mechanics and work hard on ball placement I think he certainly COULD have a better career.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

If you think about it, it's kind of a blessing in disguise for the Falcons and for Ridder.  Ridder is mad that he wasn't taken in the first.  Like, hopping mad.  He knows he's better than that.  He wants that contract and those dollars and that respect.

But if we'd taken him at 8, we wouldn't have Drake London.  If we took him in the 2nd we wouldn't have Ebiketie or Andersen.  The QB's chances for success early are largely dependent on the team around him (not surprisingly, that's also true of the QB's chances for success later on).  We have the cap and roster flexibility to build a serious team around Ridder.  The only thing that sucks for him is if he gets hurt and washes out of the league.  If that happens, he lost a lot of money.  But that's what insurance is for.  The upside is putting those pieces in place before throwing him to the wolves gives him a better chance for a long NFL career, and it gives us a better chance at building a legit winning team.  And Ridder is the type of personality that is going to burn until he gets to prove he is what no one thought he was.

Guys like Ridder succeed because they will themselves into the success.  They are never satisfied and perpetually play with a chip on their shoulder.   I'm not saying in any way he is or will be equivalent but Tom Brady has talked repeatedly about not losing the chip on his shoulder from being drafted so late.  No matter how many rings, wins, etc he has, he has held onto that and used it to continue driving himself to be the best.    Ridder strikes me as that kind of guy.  That is part of his intangibles and 'it" factor that make him a leader guys gravitate toward.  He will ceaselessly push to get better, to prove everyone wrong.  Whether that turns into being a franchise QB for us or not, THAT is the kind of guy you want at QB.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

He's slow to go through his reads, and had an offense that didn't always ask him to go past his first. He also missed a lot of throws in college he shouldn't have. Very raw as far as how much experience with pro concepts he has. 

Teams always need QB's. The QB's this draft class just didn't pop in any exceptional way. Doesn't mean any of them can't become great, but they're not generally considered immediate starters. Even Pickett may not start day 1 over Trubisky. Ridder was a decent value pick in the 3rd but none of these QB's this year really should have been drafted before the 3rd imo, including Pickett.

I honestly wasn't sure who you were talking about here.  Whoever it is, you have not described Desmond Ridder.  He is one of the very few QBs this year who ran a largely pro-style system and went through his reads consistently.  Multiple scouting reports and film studies show this.  He's not raw at all.  He's more pro-ready than any QB in this draft class except MAYBE Kenny Pickett.

It sounds like you're talking about Malik Willis, honestly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I honestly wasn't sure who you were talking about here.  Whoever it is, you have not described Desmond Ridder.  He is one of the very few QBs this year who ran a largely pro-style system and went through his reads consistently.  Multiple scouting reports and film studies show this.  He's not raw at all.  He's more pro-ready than any QB in this draft class except MAYBE Kenny Pickett.

It sounds like you're talking about Malik Willis, honestly.

You honestly believe he wasn't drafted high purely because teams have decided not to draft QB's high anymore? Is that what I'm understanding? 

Like I said, nobody in this class was pro ready, hence why they were all drafted late. I didn't like Willis either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lornoth said:

You honestly believe he wasn't drafted high purely because teams have decided not to draft QB's high anymore? Is that what I'm understanding? 

Like I said, nobody in this class was pro ready, hence why they were all drafted late. I didn't like Willis either.

No, he wasn't drafted high for a multitude of reasons.  I never said "teams have decided not to draft QBs high anymore."

The knocks on Ridder were sporadic inaccuracy issues and inconsistent mechanics, and he doesn't have the best arm anyone has ever seen (though it is a lot stronger than most people on this board think it is).  He is neither a purely natural runner nor thrower, but he is capable of doing both.  Desmond Ridder is a "project" only in the sense that he needs to clean up his mechanics and work on his footwork.  

But instead of arguing what I think, let me ask you this -- where did you get the ideas that Ridder is "slow to go through his reads" and "had an offense that didn't always ask him to go past his first?"

Other than the fact that the last statement literally describes every offense, assuming the first read is open, where did that come from?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

No, he wasn't drafted high for a multitude of reasons.  I never said "teams have decided not to draft QBs high anymore."

The knocks on Ridder were sporadic inaccuracy issues and inconsistent mechanics, and he doesn't have the best arm anyone has ever seen (though it is a lot stronger than most people on this board think it is).  He is neither a purely natural runner nor thrower, but he is capable of doing both.  Desmond Ridder is a "project" only in the sense that he needs to clean up his mechanics and work on his footwork.  

But instead of arguing what I think, let me ask you this -- where did you get the ideas that Ridder is "slow to go through his reads" and "had an offense that didn't always ask him to go past his first?"

Other than the fact that the last statement literally describes every offense, assuming the first read is open, where did that come from?

Watching his tape. Could easily be wrong, but I'm usually decent with QB evals. Rooting for the kid, certainly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...