Jump to content

Rookie Expectations


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

When you look at our draft in full there’s some really nice potential here.  No predictions from me. No guarantees either. Sure hope they all pan out & become future starters/contributors for this team. 

Between last year's rookies and this year's class, there's talent that could help this team a lot if it develops. Rapid development from any three of Grant, Ade, Graham, Ebiketie, Andersen, and Malone makes our defense serviceable. Added to that scenario, Davidson, Hawkins, and Walker could make us pretty good if they could scratch their potential.

It all comes down to the coaches and how they put them in position to succeed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Between last year's rookies and this year's class, there's talent that could help this team a lot if it develops. Rapid development from any three of Grant, Ade, Graham, Ebiketie, Andersen, and Malone makes our defense serviceable. Added to that scenario, Davidson, Hawkins, and Walker could make us pretty good if they could scratch their potential.

It all comes down to the coaches and how they put them in position to succeed.

Fingers crossed we see guys breaking through. Coaching can do so much, then it’s on the players.  Ultimately they have to want to be above average & dedicated to improving their craft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Fingers crossed we see guys breaking through. Coaching can do so much, then it’s on the players.  Ultimately they have to want to be above average & dedicated to improving their craft.

Truth. I'm amazed at how many athletes in all sports never make the connection that practice is to improve fundamentals and to allow players to play on instinct instead of thinking about what to do. Being the best player on your high school team probably allows you to beast out without much consideration of fundamentals. That might even help you dominate in college. When you get to the pros, the difference in talent is much less because everybody you play was that guy in high school and college. That's when practice can make average talent good and good talent great.

Michael Jordan didn't jump higher or shoot better than everybody. He just knew when to jump or shoot and how to use his strengths to dominate. I'm convinced that's the reason an ~average physical specimen like Tom Brady is far and away the GOAT. Let's hope our guys connect the dots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Fingers crossed we see guys breaking through. Coaching can do so much, then it’s on the players.  Ultimately they have to want to be above average & dedicated to improving their craft.

 

5 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Truth. I'm amazed at how many athletes in all sports never make the connection that practice is to improve fundamentals and to allow players to play on instinct instead of thinking about what to do. Being the best player on your high school team probably allows you to beast out without much consideration of fundamentals. That might even help you dominate in college. When you get to the pros, the difference in talent is much less because everybody you play was that guy in high school and college. That's when practice can make average talent good and good talent great.

Michael Jordan didn't jump higher or shoot better than everybody. He just knew when to jump or shoot and how to use his strengths to dominate. I'm convinced that's the reason an ~average physical specimen like Tom Brady is far and away the GOAT. Let's hope our guys connect the dots.

Excellent points by both of you. 
 

There’s a great book called BREAKTHROUGHS by NBA mindset coach David Nurse. He says the most successful players have 3 main attributes:

(1) They understand and Know their unique skill-set which sets them apart, and ruthlessly keep refining it until they find mastery…while not trying to be someone they’re not.

(2) they have an insatiable desire to be great. No one has to tell them to go to gym, hit the weights, master the playbook, etc …they do it without being told.
 

(3) similar to (2), there’s a relentless consistency in their “unseen hours” . The best players are just made differently from the rest of the world …Brady, Kobe, MJ, Tim Duncan etc…they do it when they don’t feel like it….and they keep doing it even after success has come

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Vandy said:

 

Excellent points by both of you. 
 

There’s a great book called BREAKTHROUGHS by NBA mindset coach David Nurse. He says the most successful players have 3 main attributes:

(1) They understand and Know their unique skill set which sets them apart, and ruthlessly keep refining it until they find mastery…while not trying to be someone they’re not.

(2) they have an insatiable desire to be great. No one has to tell them to go to gym, hit the weights, master the playbook, etc 
 

(3) there’s a relentless consistency in their “unseen hours” 

The best players are just made differently from the rest of the world …Brady, Kobe, MJ, tim Duncan etc…they do it when they don’t feel like it….and they keep doing it even after success has come

I'm going to look that book up. The other day, some guy tweeted that Karl Malone was somehow overrated because he almost never shot from outside of 12 feet. So, he became the second-leading scorer in NBA history by doing what he did best and even though everybody knew the book on him, nobody could stop him.

That's the opposite of "overrated". It's a different dynamic for most football positions, but for QBs, it's the absolute same idea. Sharpen your strongest attributes and improve your weakest ones. And if your coach is smart, he'll scheme to your strengths.

It broke my heart when Vick admitted that he never tried to be a true QB until he got to Philly. He was so dominant as an athlete with an arm, that he didn't realize he'd be better by making that arm a true weapon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m Looking forward to watching him as a Falcon. 
Dude rushed 1,600 yards last year. Of course when BYU came to Waco he only ran 33 yards, 2.2 ypc (Sic’em) but that only means all his other games were crazy good. He averaged over 9 yards per carry several times. Beast mode 266 yards against Virginia!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...