Falcons Building Blocks: Kyle Pitts - Grade the throws

This was a good highlight video of Pitts' rookie accomplishments and his huge catch radius. When I watched the video the first time when it was offered I came away thinking how poor Ryan's throws were to Pitts overall. These weren't Mahomes going to the ground hoists but rather intentioned throws from Ryan. For what was highlighted in the video, outside of about 3 or 4 really nice throws by Ryan, I came away with wondering how much better Pitts might have it this year.

Anyway, if you have watched or have time to watch, the point of the thread is to grade the throws to Pitts and whether you think he will see kinder throws this year or not. I'm thinking Pitts sees kinder throws. 

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/falcons-building-blocks-kyle-pitts-becomes-the-player-he-was-drafted-to-be

He’s a monster. There’s a gold jacket waiting for him. Can you imagine what happens this year if Smith and Ragone play him?!?

Serious. Let this sink in. Pitts rookie yard average is 2 more that Travis Kelce’s Best season. And 3 yards more than Kelce’s 2021!  

The only thing in Kyle Pitts’ way is lack of play time. He caught 68 times. Kelce only got WR2 numbers (92 receptions) but can you imagine the possibilities for the Falcons if the coaches take the offseason to figure out the potential of tight ends in NFL games?  Holy crappe!

If Kyle Pitts gets WR2 play (90 catches) instead of WR3 play (68) we can go ahead and add 400 yards to our offense in 2022.

And if Smith and Ragone give him the go-ahead to play in the red zone add 8-10 touchdowns.  That’s more wins in close games.  

Some of y’all think I’m being a smart @  

but I’m 100% serious.  

Not babying our unicorn is the secret to us making the playoffs this year.  It’s not in Kyle’s hands.  It’s in coach’s hands.  You have a Ferrari, turn the key.  Don’t “save” him from football.

and wait!!!! Before one of you guys reply that I’m stupid because it’s too risky to overwork him…

He almost never played in Q1 or Q4 and never in the red zone.  He “wasn’t open” because he wasn’t in the called play.  Coach Smith, wake the F up!

Edited by Killing Floor

1 hour ago, Killing Floor said:

He’s a monster. There’s a gold jacket waiting for him. Can you imagine what happens this year if Smith and Ragone play him?!?

Serious. Let this sink in. Pitts rookie yard average is 2 more that Travis Kelce’s Best season. And 3 yards more than Kelce’s 2021!  

The only thing in Kyle Pitts’ way is lack of play time. He caught 68 times. Kelce only got WR2 numbers (92 receptions) but can you imagine the possibilities for the Falcons if the coaches take the offseason to figure out the potential of tight ends in NFL games?  Holy crappe!

If Kyle Pitts gets WR2 play (90 catches) instead of WR3 play (68) we can go ahead and add 400 yards to our offense in 2022.

And if Smith and Ragone give him the go-ahead to play in the red zone add 8-10 touchdowns.  That’s more wins in close games.  

but I’m 100% serious.  

Not babying our unicorn is the secret to us making the playoffs this year.  It’s not in Kyle’s hands.  It’s in coach’s hands.  You have a Ferrari, turn the key.  Don’t “save” him from football.

and wait!!!! Before one of you guys reply that I’m stupid because it’s too risky to overwork him…

He almost never played in Q1 or Q4 and never in the red zone.  He “wasn’t open” because he wasn’t in the called play.  Coach Smith, wake the F up!

Bill Hader Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

6 minutes ago, Swayzee said:

Bill Hader Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

We pumped the breaks 17 first quarters and 17 4th quarters. We pumped the brakes every trip to the red zone but 3 (iirc). Any more brakes and he’ll get splinters from the pines. 

Or should we only play Drake London 4 times per game too?  Bucs don’t pump brakes. Saints don’t pump brakes. And the Panties got a 2X better quarterback and an HC who will both be fighting for their lives. They won’t pump the brakes. Brake pumping doesn’t win NFL games. 

Edited by Killing Floor

34 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

We pumped the breaks 17 first quarters and 17 4th quarters. We pumped the brakes every trip to the red zone but 3 (iirc). Any more brakes and he’ll get splinters from the pines. 

Or should we only play Drake London 4 times per game too?  Bucs don’t pump brakes. Saints don’t pump brakes. And the Panties got a 2X better quarterback and an HC who will both be fighting for their lives. They won’t pump the brakes. Brake pumping doesn’t win NFL games. 

No, sir, I respectfully disagree. Are you saying on plays Pitts was covered, that he took the play off because the play wasn't called for him? That's ridiculous, MR2 was one of the best at going through read progressions.

Pitts has amazing talent. He needs to also work on things, which is normal for any player, especially rookies. With his 4.44 -40 time, he needs to be open more than he has been, he will learn that slight push off that won't catch a flag, he must learn the playbook inside and out, to recognize coverages and sit in soft spots of the zone, work on stamina so he can play more snaps.

He will be great, especially if he puts the work in, but let's not put all the blame on coaching like they have a vandetta against him being successful.

Edited by Mister pudding

16 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

No, sir, I respectfully disagree. Are you saying on plays Pitts was covered, that he took the play off because the play wasn't called for him? That's ridiculous, MR2 was one of the best at going through read progressions.

Pitts has amazing talent. He needs to also work on things, which is normal for any player, especially rookies. With his 4.44 -40 time, he needs to be open more than he has been, he will learn that slight push off that won't catch a flag, he must learn the playbook inside and out, to recognize coverages and sit in soft spots of the zone, work on stamina so he can play more snaps.

He will be great, especially if he puts the work in, but let's not put all the blame on coaching like they have a vandetta against him being successful.

Not at all. 
What I’m saying is when our best offensive weapon (not including QB) executes only 68 plays in a season it’s an under-utilization. A huge neglect of a resource.

What I’m saying is come back to me in a few months if Drake London only plays 4 balls per game.  

What we know about KP is he can make contested grabs  

Hopefully the additions to our hands room will open Pitts more but the opposite could also be true.  

Standing by my statement that 68 catches in 17 games is too low and part of why we lost close games.  And that the lack of trust to utilize our biggest threat in the red zone was costly.  

Pitts is the best player on our O now.  Let’s hope he gets the most opportunities.  

8 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

Not at all. 
What I’m saying is when our best offensive weapon (not including QB) executes only 68 plays in a season it’s an under-utilization. A huge neglect of a resource.

What I’m saying is come back to me in a few months if Drake London only plays 4 balls per game.  

What we know about KP is he can make contested grabs  

Hopefully the additions to our hands room will open Pitts more but the opposite could also be true.  

Standing by my statement that 68 catches in 17 games is too low and part of why we lost close games.  And that the lack of trust to utilize our biggest threat in the red zone was costly.  

Pitts is the best player on our O now.  Let’s hope he gets the most opportunities.  

I understand your argument and love your passion haha. There's a couple if variables that are lacking in your hypothesis though. Not all teams are the same.

Would Mark Andrews have been open as much if the Ravens had no run threat like we did? Mahommes had 100+ more passing attempts than Ryan last year. If we have the ball more, whether through defensive stops, getting 1st downs, etc., there will be more attempts going his way. That's just math. Now, with actual weapons around him, we have a better chance of extending drives, which will add to more throws.

Pitts may have better thrown balls at times, particularly on deep throws but there will be times where Marriota/Ridder will make throws that just aren't there and will end up in INTs, overthrows etc. Ryan at least was a consistent QB with his throws. Ridder is a question mark and there's a reason Mariota has bounced around in the league. Will a new QB result in a better year for Pitts? His TD total will certainly go up but apart from that, idk. 

I really don't understand what people expect out of QB throws.  I watched this and 90% of them are exactly where they're supposed to be.  Over the outside shoulder on deep throws.  Out in front on throws against man.  Back shoulder on throws across the middle in a zone.  Most receivers would love to have these placements.

Pitts is always tightly covered on deep balls so the placement has to be great.

I'd be highly surprised if he gets passes anywhere near this accurate this year.

What I do think will happen is he'll learn to get open better in the short area, and learn to time his elevations better on the deep passes so that he can catch some errant balls.  If he combines some Kelce like short area abilities with his existing deep abilities, he can be a great TE weapon.

4 hours ago, nutsandbolts said:

This was a good highlight video of Pitts' rookie accomplishments and his huge catch radius. When I watched the video the first time when it was offered I came away thinking how poor Ryan's throws were to Pitts overall. These weren't Mahomes going to the ground hoists but rather intentioned throws from Ryan. For what was highlighted in the video, outside of about 3 or 4 really nice throws by Ryan, I came away with wondering how much better Pitts might have it this year.

Anyway, if you have watched or have time to watch, the point of the thread is to grade the throws to Pitts and whether you think he will see kinder throws this year or not. I'm thinking Pitts sees kinder throws. 

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/falcons-building-blocks-kyle-pitts-becomes-the-player-he-was-drafted-to-be

Exactly. Mariota is a clear upgrade in accuracy and decision making. No way he hold Pitts back as much as Ryan!!

I really feel he’ll have a breakout season in 2022. The main reason is the upgrade in the receiver room. Hopefully, he won’t have a corner on him constantly, and our opponent will have to make a tough choice who to double! 

GO FALCONS!!!!

5 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

but I’m 100% serious.  

you consider 90 catches WR2 numbers and 68 catches WR3 numbers?

Bruh.

Kyle Pitts - Great body control, speed, toughness, great hands, awareness, and desire.  Can you ask for more from a rook?  This guy is on trajectory to set a new TE standard of excellence.

Matt Ryan - OK, I did see a few sloppy throws that made Pitts turn and lose some of his momentum.  I also saw 45 yard passes.  How did he do that with nothing but a wet noodle attached to his shoulder?  I saw zip passes into very tight windows.  I also saw the most beautiful thing Ryan does.  Blitz him and he is dropping a dime on someone.  I do not know how he does that.  His dime passes are perfection.

With all the motivation Mariota and Ridder have, I am hopeful they acknowledge they cannot waste the amazing talent they have with Pitts.  He is easy to throw to when not bracketed.  Now, let's get some other receivers rolling.  If we have an average run game, this offense will surprise.  Yes, Mayfield and Hennessy will look improved if they win the starting spots.

Edited by NorthGaBoy

Catches in 2021 for WR 1 and 2:

Kelce 92, Hill 111 (Chiefs)

Goidwin 98, Evan’s 74, Fournette 69 (Bucs)

Moore 93, Anderson 53 (Panthers)

Waddle 104, Gesicki 73 (Dolphins)

Moody 81, Kmet 60 (Bears)

Cooks 90, Collins 33 (friggin Texans)

Jefferson 108, Thielen 67 (Vikes)

Meyer’s 83, Bourne 55 (Patriots)

for comparison…

Jones 99, Ridley 63 (Falcs 2019)

Ridley 90, Gage 72, Jones 50 (Falcons 2020)

If he’s our best player (I believe he is) then he needs to be brought into the action a lot more than 68 catches.

Edited by Killing Floor

On 7/16/2022 at 3:49 PM, takeitdown said:

I really don't understand what people expect out of QB throws.  I watched this and 90% of them are exactly where they're supposed to be.  Over the outside shoulder on deep throws.  Out in front on throws against man.  Back shoulder on throws across the middle in a zone.  Most receivers would love to have these placements.

Pitts is always tightly covered on deep balls so the placement has to be great.

I'd be highly surprised if he gets passes anywhere near this accurate this year.

What I do think will happen is he'll learn to get open better in the short area, and learn to time his elevations better on the deep passes so that he can catch some errant balls.  If he combines some Kelce like short area abilities with his existing deep abilities, he can be a great TE weapon.

Not only that but Matt Ryan is a master of throwing receivers open.  So what appears to be an off-target throw is often placed there because he knows Pitts can get it and no one else can.  He did this with Gonzalez as well, and often Julio, though Julio was also wide open a lot, so to a lesser extent.

On 7/16/2022 at 6:24 PM, Killing Floor said:

Catches in 2021 for WR 1 and 2:

Kelce 92, Hill 111 (Chiefs)

Goidwin 98, Evan’s 74, Fournette 69 (Bucs)

Moore 93, Anderson 53 (Panthers)

Waddle 104, Gesicki 73 (Dolphins)

Moody 81, Kmet 60 (Bears)

Cooks 90, Collins 33 (friggin Texans)

Jefferson 108, Thielen 67 (Vikes)

Meyer’s 83, Bourne 55 (Patriots)

for comparison…

Jones 99, Ridley 63 (Falcs 2019)

Ridley 90, Gage 72, Jones 50 (Falcons 2020)

If he’s our best player (I believe he is) then he needs to be brought into the action a lot more than 68 catches.

Now that we have other competent receivers, he will be.  Last year, they could single up Gage with their best corner and then double or triple Pitts to their hearts' content.  They won't have that luxury this season, not necessarily because London and Edwards are better than Gage, but because we have London and Edwards and a couple more guys who will take pressure off of Pitts, and will be open if they decide to just bracket Pitts the whole game.  In some respects, our WR room this season will be a better numbers game than last season, when we had literally no one who was starter quality.