Falcons rookie QB Desmond Ridder’s potential impact highly regarded by PFF

Falcons rookie QB Desmond Ridder’s potential impact highly regarded by PFF

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/falcons_rookie_qb_desmond_ridders_potential_impact_highly_regarded_by_pff/s1_16493_37681689

NFL Training Camps: Contenders or Pretenders?

164220302 217 nfl at combine

The Falcons selected Desmond Ridder to seemingly replace Matt Ryan as the team’s franchise quarterback, and the folks over at PFF hold him in high regard. Mike Renner believes Ridder will be the best rookie starting in the NFL.

However, Renner is missing a critical factor in Ridder’s rookie season — beating out Marcus Mariota.

I genuinely do believe the Cincy product will start Week 1 if he’s the better man for the job. However, I have a hard time believing the former Bearcat has enough experience to wrestle the starting position away from a veteran like Mariota.

There will be calls from the fanbase to play Ridder, but Smith isn’t going to jeopardize losing games just to evaluate the rookie quarterback. It might be the wrong call too. If the Falcons are in a position to grab one of the elite prospects in next year’s draft without any real idea of Ridder’s ability, it’ll make the decision that much more difficult.

As it stands right now, the Falcons are heading for a quarterback competition in training camp. Still, don’t be surprised if it’s settled early because Mariota is firmly ahead of Ridder in terms of experience, knowledge of the offense, and ability at this point in their respective careers.

To play devil’s advocate, reports from Flowery Branch suggest Ridder might surprise some folks and steal the starting job from Mariota.

“He’s light years ahead of most other young quarterbacks from the neck up,” Arthur Smith said of Ridder. “I will give him that compliment.”

Despite Mariota being expected to be the incumbent starter, Ridder immediately makes a case to be the team’s signal caller. He’s proving to be a quick learner, picking up the offense much faster than anticipated, which most rookie quarterbacks struggle with considerably.

“Honestly, I’m not going to lie, I thought I was going to come in and struggle a little bit,” Ridder said. “We’re almost all the way through all our installs and putting in all those checks. I’ve got a good grasp of it. That kind of surprised me, honestly, you know? I’m not going to say I wouldn’t have picked it up, but I thought it would take me just a little bit longer, an extra couple of days. But I’ve been able to pick up on it pretty smoothly.”

One of the most critical factors in a rookie quarterback adjusting to the NFL is commanding a group of grown men much older than you, which is something Ridder has a natural inclination for.

“Guys kind of gravitate to him,” Charles London said. “He’s a natural leader, and leadership is hard. It’s hard to judge somebody’s leadership. People can tell you he’s a leader, but most guys that are really great leaders, they lead by their own style, their own way.”

It’ll be fascinating to watch the quarterback battle unfold in camp; my money would be on Mariota because of his experience, but fans shouldn’t be surprised if Ridder comes out as the team’s Week 1 starter. PFF certainly thinks Desmond Ridder will be the man in Atlanta this season

On 7/15/2022 at 6:10 PM, HASHBROWN3 said:

It’ll be fascinating to watch the quarterback battle unfold in camp; my money would be on Mariota because of his experience, but fans shouldn’t be surprised if Ridder comes out as the team’s Week 1 starter. PFF certainly thinks Desmond Ridder will be the man in Atlanta this season

If the Falcons allow it, this QB battle will go beyond camp and into the pre-season. We are likely to see elevated QB play in the pre-season because of this if so. We will see a sense of urgency since everyone would be out to prove themselves and anything could happen.

The coaching staff may not want this though and may elect to anoint Mariota as starter in camp and limit the "competition" going into the season. In that case we wouldn't see Mariota till game 3 of pre-season and only for a half probably. This would be good from the standpoint of not allowing Mariota to injure himself in a faux QB battle.

I'm probably good either way. I think deep down I would like the stability of Mariota being our starter and seeing if lightning strikes come the first of the year. 

I say let the QBs play…

We only have 2 on the roster with Franks being moved to TE and designated a reserve. Give both QBs significant playing time during the preseason, each with the 1st team offense to show what they can do.

I give Mariota the edge off familiarity alone, so he gets the start, but we gotta see what we have in Ridder now so there’s no “what if” convos being had during the season. They’re so many other things the coaches can focus on outside than a QB competition.

I still believe that Marcus Mariota is at best a serviceable backup. He’s not a true starter. We should throw ridder out their and let him take his lumps, but he will learn and by the end of the season we will know what we have and we will either have a high pick and can grab our future qb next year or if he lights it up we have our future qb now. 

5 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Competition is a good thing.  I think Mariota has the edge by a mile right now, but I don't think it's a total home run for him.  Des would be better served to sit and soak up everything for a year.

A big part of me wants Ridder to step right in and perform like a veteran like Ice did. But there QBs like Ice don't grow on trees...but here's to hoping lighting strikes that tree again.

Any competition between the two is nothing but good for the team. It means neither of them would feel like they didn’t have to Practice, study, or perform to keep their job. No complacency.

Mariotta was signed to be the starter ahead of the draft not knowing who the quarterback was going to be. If Ridder is the future of the team, Mariotta will be a good test for him to beat out. If he needs time to learn, he can learn under a future high draft pick with familiarity in the offense.

My honest opinion is Mariotta will start and at some point in the season an injury will give Desmond his chance, and we will see how ready he is.

It's Ridder's job imo, and Mariotta being here is the best thing that could have happened to him.  Imagine had we just drafted Ridder and the pressure that would have come with trying to replace Ryan.  You can already see in the way people talk about the QB battle now, that pressure is gone.

6 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Competition is a good thing.  I think Mariota has the edge by a mile right now, but I don't think it's a total home run for him.  Des would be better served to sit and soak up everything for a year.

Honestly, I don't think either one is a bad thing.  If he's out-performing Mariota in practice, give him the shot.  If he isn't, let him sit.  I think those practice reps and pre-season reps are going to do far more to decide who wins the job than any arbitrary "what would be best for Ridder" analysis.  Because if he's ready and he's the best QB on the roster, playing him is the best for him and us, and if he isn't, then sitting him is the best for him and us.

I think they haven't decided who is starting yet.  They've given the mantle to Mariota, but they haven't taken it away from Ridder.  It's more who gets the first seat at the table for now.