A "Way Too Soon" 2023 Falcons NFL Draft Board - Top 10 (and pick)

ATLANTA FALCONS 2023 Draft - 1st pick:

Obviously the board will change between now and April 2023 - mainly focusing on:

1) best pure talent first

2) positional importance

3) positonal needs

Atlanta Falcons Draft Position for 2023:  but by a country mile looking at best pure talent.   I know many of my TATF brethren are optimistic about the 2023 season from a record standpoint and many believing an outside chance at the playoffs.   I am under no such delusions.    Falcons roster is young and lacking talent/depth at almost every position group.

The great news is the Falcons will likely have a very high draft pick and will have tons of cap space to sign free agents - although I believe free agency is a dangerous game and most premier players are never allowed to get out of the building.   Falcons history in free agency has been very dicey - for every one "Michael Turner" signing there have been five "Dunta Robinson, Pierce Holt, Ray Edwards, Osi Omenyoura and Tyson Jackson".

Projection:   Top 5 pick

QUARTERBACK - The biggest question for the Atlanta Falcons (GM-Terry Fontenot & HC-Arthur Smith) heading into 2023 is if they believe they already have their future starting franchise Quarterback on the roster - either Marcus Mariota or Desmond Ridder.    I know we all have our opinions but no one really knows right now.   Fontenot and Smith better have that question answered by the end of the 2022 NFL/Falcons season.    If the question isn't answered then Quarterback will weigh heavily into the 2023 off-season - either draft/free agency or trade. 

Right now, there is a general consensus that there are 3 QBs worthy of first round consideration - C.J. Stroud,  Bryce Young and Will Levis.     All have their strengths and weaknesses.   The best pure passer of the three is Bryce Young but he is also very slight of build and likely will tip the scales at 5'11" and 190lbs - which is concerning.    Stroud probably has the best combo of size and production although the knock on him will be that Ohio State offense which doesn't translate to NFL style - that plus just an abundance of NFL talent at the WR position which is mismatch at the collegiate level.   Will Levis is intriguing w/ decent size, good athlete and some moxie to his game - but is he talented enough at the next level? consistent?  Levis' senior season will weigh heavily here.

C.J. Stroud makes his Heisman Trophy case as Ohio State is rolling Michigan  State: Doug Lesmerises - cleveland.com

Alabama QB Bryce Young, LB Will Anderson Jr. named SEC players of year -  The Boston Globe

Will Levis can start showing how special he is today | Your Sports Edge 2021

Other Premium Positions of Need:     Other premium positions in the NFL below QB are:   2) Edge Rusher, 3) Offensive Tackle, 4) Cornerback, 5) Wide Receiver and 6) Free Safety.    I know many want a premier free safety but there just aren't that many that are truly special and typically only 1-2 every 8-10 years.

Overall FALCONS Draft Board for 2023 NFL Draft (regardless of position - as long as premium position):

1.  Will Anderson - Edge - Alabama
  2.  Jalen Carter -  3-Tech DT - Georgia
  3.  C.J. Stroud - QB - Ohio State
  4.  Bryce Young - QB - Alabama
  5.  Myles Murphy - Edge - Clemson
  6. Bryan Breese -  3-Tech DT - Clemson
  7. Kayshon Boutte - WR - LSU
  8. Jaxon Smith-Njigba - WR - Ohio State
  9. Broderick Jones - OT - Georgia
  10. Paris Campbell - OT - Ohio State

G-Dawg Analysis:  I'm really hoping the Falcons feel good about Mariota or Ridder by season's end - something tells me they will have HOPE but not certainty - would love to see someone take the job and nail it down.   To me, there are two "can't miss" guys in this draft - and neither are Quarterbacks.   The two are WILL ANDERSON and JALEN CARTER.     Right now I have Anderson in the lead as he was relied on more and was an "every snap" guy in the Bama defense last year and was more depended upon while Jalen Carter was part of a heavy rotation across that D-Line much in the same way #1 overall pick Travon Walker was last year for UGA.    Make no mistake,  Jalen Carter was the most talented D-Lineman on the Natty Squad last year but was overshadowed by the media darling Jordan Davis - the real DLine gurus know about Jalen Carter already but the casual fan does not.   Both Will Anderson and Jalen Carter are capable of being "All-Pro" and defensive cornerstones for the teams that draft them.   I would love to see the Falcons be able to draft one of these cats and watch the team climb up the defensive rankings - While Grady Jarrett is great, he needs some running mates and by the time this roster is potentially "good enough" to challenge for a Lombardi trophy - Jarrett will be on the downhill slide of a great career.

Projection:    Falcons have the 3rd overall pick in 2023

1)  Houston Texans - CJ Stroud, QB - Ohio State

2)  Detroit Lions - Bryce Young, QB - Alabama

2018 NFL Draft

"With the 3rd pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select..... Will Anderson, EDGE - Alabama"

Wil Anderson coming out his stance versus Ohio State in 2020 CFP title game

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

The QBs will get picked apart - wouldn't at all be surprised if Anderson went #1 overall and Jalen Carter #2 and then teams jockey for the QBs thereafter.

Nor would I be surprised if neither Allen or Carter are taken top 5. Thibs was once one of these can't miss guys too, projected to be a lock @1.

Like you said way too early!

Posted (edited)

Why would any Falcons fan hope for a worse QB than we have?  I don’t get it. Couldn’t we just tie Ridder’s shoes together if all you want is a less skilled player?

Anderson is great and won’t be there when we pick. No way we pick before 12 this year. No way. 

Edited by Killing Floor

14 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

Anderson is great and won’t be there when we pick.

No way we pick before 12 this year. No way. 

sounds like the makings of a friendly wager.

$50 says the Falcons pick before #12 overall if they keep the draft slot.

You seem confident and it’s a small bet.  Let’s do it!

22 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

Why would any Falcons fan hope for a worse QB than we have?  I don’t get it. Couldn’t we just tie Ridder’s shoes together if all you want is a less skilled player?

Anderson is great and won’t be there when we pick. No way we pick before 12 this year. No way. 

Idk about being outside of the top 12 but I for sure don't see us in top 3 let alone top 5 pick.

11 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

sounds like the makings of a friendly wager.

$50 says the Falcons pick before #12 overall if they keep the draft slot.

You seem confident and it’s a small bet.  Let’s do it!

Lock it in here and make sure you don’t try to change the wording at the last minute like you did last time with PokerSteve

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

Well let's let this year figure itself out. If we play better than expected then sure we'll certainly be out of the top 10. However, with this rough schedule and very young core we could easily go 4-13 or 5-12 who knows. I like your optimism and hopefully you are right, and as far as QB goes I agree let's see what we have in Ridder.

Edited by FalconsFan36

11 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

Falcons won’t be drafting that high. That much I’m confident 

That all depends on which teams decide to stink it up this upcoming season. If it's the same typical Lions,Jags,Jets and Texans that still leaves 6 other teams. I'm not one to say we'll be picking high but we won't know until it's all said and done.

6 minutes ago, FalconsFan36 said:

That all depends on which teams decide to stink it up this upcoming season. If it's the same typical Lions,Jags,Jets and Texans that still leaves 6 other teams. I'm not one to say we'll be picking high but we won't know until it's all said and done.

I'm not saying it to display rose glasses but until we see the squad play, I have no reason to believe otherwise right now. 

46 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

Waste of energy my friend. We are doomed by the all knowing to win 4 games this year.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, duckhoa said:

3rd worst team in the NFL in 2022?  Even the most pessimistic of us would have a hard time believing that.  I love the pick though.  

I woulda never believed from some that ryan was that important.

We will pick 3rd only if we trade there.

Edited by Williamb
Addition

25 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

I'm not saying it to display rose glasses but until we see the squad play, I have no reason to believe otherwise right now. 

That's fine. I'm just looking at the team from a standpoint of where they are now versus what their record will indicate at the end of the season. Playoff or bust won't start for me until the 2023 season.

1 minute ago, FalconsFan36 said:

That's fine. I'm just looking at the team from a standpoint of where they are now versus what their record will indicate at the end of the season. Playoff or bust won't start for me until the 2023 season.

How do you realistically determine that in July without seeing the unit play a real game together? That’s pretty much my thing.

3 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

How do you realistically determine that in July without seeing the unit play a real game together? That’s pretty much my thing.

My whole point was that with this young core anything can happen. We could make the playoffs or we might not. Instead of me saying we won't be picking top 10 I instead say that anything can happen both good or bad. And lastly that regardless I won't have any super expectations until 2023. Thats all I meant.

1 minute ago, FalconsFan36 said:

My whole point was that with this young core anything can happen. We could make the playoffs or we might not. Instead of me saying we won't be picking top 10 I instead say that anything can happen both good or bad. And lastly that regardless I won't have any super expectations until 2023. Thats all I meant.

That’s understandable. Was just wondering because a lot of people say what you said but only back it with “this team sucks” or “we have no qb” which are incredibly stupid retorts imo. At least you put thought to your opinion 

Just now, Tribal Chief said:

That’s understandable. Was just wondering because a lot of people say what you said but only back it with “this team sucks” or “we have no qb” which are incredibly stupid retorts imo. At least you put thought to your opinion 

Yeah I'm not the type to say this team sucks because anything can happen. And I like our options at QB to be honest. I like Mariotta and hopefully this is his redemption arc and Ridder had tons of potential too 

6 minutes ago, FalconsFan36 said:

Yeah man, I get it. But, we picked 8th with an abysmal 7 win team last year. The 20th pick was by a 9 win playoff team. Other than qb, and possibly OL we look to be in better shape this year, especially with depth. I don't want to ever have to hook all our wagons to a hof qb. I want a system like ne where the backup can step in and win. They didn't do it with top 10 picks.

Whichever QB can run the fastest 40 will be lusted for by some.  Ability to beat a defense from the pocket isn’t necessary for some anymore. I’ve never seen anything like it.

I’m complete opposite. If a QB can beat you from the pocket, it’s a plus if he can also run.  Ridder demonstrated this ability in college to beat you from the pocket, but can also run really fast, so he fits my criteria.  we’ll see if it transfers.