Chris Odom USFL Sack leader.. Is he worth a look?

Posted (edited)

Former Falcons DE Leads USFL in Sacks; Potential Atlanta Reunion?

Chris Odom had two separate offseason stints with the Falcons.

It's no secret that the Atlanta Falcons need to address their pass rush this offseason.

And the team has definitely made an effort, signing veteran linebacker Lorenzo Carter and drafting rookies Arnold Ebiketie and DeAngelo Malone, but the team might need some more reinforcements. That could come in the form of a familiar face.

This spring, former Falcons defensive end Chris Odom has been tearing up the USFL with the Houston Gamblers.

On Sunday, Odom became the first player in the league to reach the 10-sack threshold and recorded three sacks in a loss to the Tampa Bay Bandits. His 11 sacks lead the USFL while nobody else in the league has more than seven.

Odom went undrafted out of Arkansas State in 2017 and signed with the Falcons as an undrafted free agent. However, Odom failed to make the 53-man roster and was cut by the team just before the start of the season.

Odom played seven games with the Green Bay Packers last season after picking him up off waivers. 

In 2018, after being cut by the Packers, Odom joined the AAF's Salt Lake Stallions. After the AAF folded midway through its inaugural season, the Falcons signed him to a two-year deal ... only to cut him just before the 2019 season.

Odom caught on with Washington later that season and suited up for four games in 2019, recording his first two NFL sacks in a game against the Carolina Panthers.

Odom hadn't played pro football since 2019 before joining the Gamblers, and he's definitely made the most of his opportunity. He's looking to parlay his strong play into a path back to the NFL, and maybe the third time could be the charm for the Falcons.

Now Odom is a guy I remember from a few seasons ago, I believe around the time we picked up Dorian Etheridge. These two guys were great in the preseason. Etheridge was a tackling machine and Odom was all over the place making plays. I thought we’d end up holding on to both but only Etheridge stuck around.

Odom has NFL experience and has had a cup of tea with a few teams that seem to scout well. I think he’d be worth taking a flyer on in training camp at the very least. Terry Fontenot is known for leaving no stone unturned in the pursuit of talent and I think Odom would be worth a peak under the ol’ rock.

I’d say we have a better developmental staff now and as I stated before Odom has gained more experience since his first two stints with the Falcons. You can never have too much pass rush and a productive guy who is hungry to get back into the league isn’t the worse chance you could take. I’d definitely bring him in and let him see if he could knock someone off that ladder.  

Edited by TheRisen999

• TheRisen999 changed the title to Chris Odom USFL Sack leader.. Is he worth a look?
10 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Always nice to have some potential diamonds in the rough out there. Could make team as a special teams headhunter for now, or practice squad for a year,

I know you were commenting on my initial post but I had some issues tryna to post it. Check this one out though.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Yeah I saw he was USFL sack leader and wondered the same. Somebody will bring him in for a look. Might as well be us.

Right.. It always irritates the heck out of me when we sign a guy and then cut him only for him to go to another team and show out. If I unearth a gem I’m tryna keep it! lol

Edited by TheRisen999

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

Always nice to have some potential diamonds in the rough out there. Could make team as a special teams headhunter for now, or practice squad for a year,

Agree. Especially for us, who have a lack of diamonds actually on the team. The more competition the merrier ~ and give the starting jobs to those who played the best in preseason and TC. AS says it don't matter how you got here, once you're here you're on equal competitive footing with everybody else. I want him to stick to his words. 

3 hours ago, hjerry said:

Odom was released from here for a reason. He was one of many that we see every year who was "almost" good enough.

Could he have improved since then? Possible, but it's also possible that he's only able to do this against USFL level tackles

It’s possible you’re right about him only standing out against lower level competition but it’s also possible he’s grown as a player. If there’s a chance the latter statement is true then it couldn’t hurt to see what he’s got. After all, he was here under another regime. This staff may see more in him. Especially with their developmental focus.