Atlanta vs. St. Louis

ATLBham

The Braves are lefty dominant. AA should make a clever move just trading Smith elsewhere for a righty arm. Snitker is obsessed with using the guy in high leverage situations and the chances he has another run like he did in the playoffs are close to zero. That's one contract I can't wait we free up from. Never made sense to give that to him.

Jansen told Mark Bowman that he plans to return when his 15 day minimum is up. He said the irregular heartbeat started on June 18th but his doctors decided to monitor it and keep going. After the symptoms continued through 5 more outings they decided to shut him down. 

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

2B update since Albies went down 

Arcia is hitting .208 with 2 HR, 8 RBI. Hes 2 for his last 28 with 2 walks. 

Gosselin is hitting .278 but only in 18 ABs so a much smaller sample size. He has no extra base hits and only 1 walk. 

We need Albies back bad. Not only are Arcia and Gosselin not hitting but they are making keystone cop plays on defense.

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

2B update since Albies went down 

Arcia is hitting .208 with 2 HR, 8 RBI. Hes 2 for his last 28 with 2 walks. 

Gosselin is hitting .278 but only in 18 ABs so a much smaller sample size. He has no extra base hits and only 1 walk. 

Gunna say it till it happens.

Trade for Happ and Robertson.

46 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Tonight is gonna be tough… gonna need good Ian tonight 

Ian has given up 11 earned runs over his last 2 starts and has a 6.82 ERA over his last 7 games..........yikes! Hopefully, he has made some positive adjustments

15 minutes ago, vanhino said:

Ian has given up 11 earned runs over his last 2 starts and has a 6.82 ERA over his last 7 games..........yikes! Hopefully, he has made some positive adjustments

Many pitchers go through rough patches, even the best. Not concerned about him long term. I did see a graphic somewhere that showed his spin rate on his curveball is one of the worst in the league. I wonder if this is something he can work on. If he had a curve like Charlie Morton and he could locate his fastball consistently, he'd be deadly.

1 minute ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Many pitchers go through rough patches, even the best. Not concerned about him long term. I did see a graphic somewhere that showed his spin rate on his curveball is one of the worst in the league. I wonder if this is something he can work on. If he had a curve like Charlie Morton and he could locate his fastball consistently, he'd be deadly.

He only has 2 pitches.

That's a pretty big concern considering this is his 3rd year in the league.

He may need to go down and work on that.

15 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

I mentioned his curveball and his spin rate. If he can get that up, it might be a good 3rd option.

Yes but I wasn't sure if you thought that was something he could work on up here. I don't if it's him afraid to throw it because it's so bad or the team telling him not to.

Just saying him doing that in AAA is probably better for him and the team now. They had no issue doing it to Wright and we see how that has worked out.

10 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Yes but I wasn't sure if you thought that was something he could work on up here. I don't if it's him afraid to throw it because it's so bad or the team telling him not to.

Just saying him doing that in AAA is probably better for him and the team now. They had no issue doing it to Wright and we see how that has worked out.

I wouldn't mind seeing him go down and get this sorted out as the 2 pitch thing has been one of my biggest frustrations with him. The problem is how do you replace his spot in the rotation? How long will this take to get sorted out? Developing young guys in the midst of a heated division race while gunning for a second straight pennant isn't the easiest thing to manage. Are there any back end rotation guys available?

Edited by NashvilleFalcon01

12 minutes ago, Malachore said:

This was orginally an edit, but I've made it its own post.

Him working on the curveball at the big league level doesn't really seem feasible though. I get your point. Although now that I think of it, I've heard of pitchers changing their grip on certain pitches. I wonder if he could pick the minds of Kyle Wright, Charlie Morton and Max Fried on how to revamp that pitch. It might not be a bad idea.

Edited by NashvilleFalcon01

24 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

This was orginally an edit, but I've made it its own post.

Him working on the curveball at the big league level doesn't really seem feasible though. I get your point. Although now that I think of it, I've heard of pitchers changing their grip on certain pitches. I wonder if he could pick the minds of Kyle Wright, Charlie Morton and Max Fried on how to revamp that pitch. It might not be a bad idea.

To echo your point in the post before this one I think the reason hes getting this chance is because they don't trust the other guys down there to be much better at all.

Saying that you can't afford to have a guy only go 4 innings every 5 days either.

1 hour ago, For the A said:

It might be best if Ian ditched the curve and went to a sinker, cutter or slider as a third pitch. Doing that would definitely mean he would have to go to AAA to work on that. 

I've said this too. I think he needs something that produces quick and easy outs. A pitch that generates favorable contact, particularly on the ground. I'm a fan of the slider myself out of the pitches mentioned, but I've also thought a 2 seamer would do him some good.