Blessing in disguise?

FILED UNDER:

Falcons narrowly avoided rostering two players suspended for 2022 season

Calvin Ridley won’t play in 2022. Atlanta’s top offseason target won’t either.

By Matthew Chambers  Jun 27, 2022, 3:00pm EDT  

NFL: Atlanta Falcons at Houston TexansKevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

In what feels like the endless offseason, the news that Calvin Ridley would be suspended for the entirety of the 2022 season may as well have been eons ago. Instead, it was just back in March. The NFL decided to make an example of the once-elite pass catcher, who foolishly bet on NFL games while on the non-football injury list. 

Ridley was foolish as betting on games, even if he wasn’t playing in those games, as that is clearly against NFL rules. More foolish is he bet on the Falcons to win, but that is another concern. 

The Falcons were seemingly blind-sided by the news while in the middle of trade negotiations with the Philadelphia Eagles. There were no public concerns about Ridley’s gambling and no way for the team to avoid this headache.

Far more avoidable headaches were found with Atlanta’s enthusiastic pursuit of Deshaun Watson mere days after Ridley’s suspension. Atlanta apparently had a comprehensive rebuild plan in place, working its way out of cap **** while rebuilding the roster through the draft. Then Watson became available and that plan was thrown out the window. Instead, Atlanta could trade away those draft picks and try shoehorning one expensive veteran under its limited cap.

Watson used Atlanta’s interest to leverage a fully guaranteed deal out of the Cleveland Browns. That ended up being the only luck the Falcons have had in years, as Watson is reportedly facing an indefinite suspension expected to last a minimum of one year, per Andrew Beaton of the Wall Street Journal.

The league's push for an indefinite suspension is based on a variety of factors. That includes wanting flexibility in case more allegations against Watson surface. https://t.co/XRvsDt8V0M

— Andrew Beaton (@andrewlbeaton) June 25, 2022

While a suspension was always expected, Atlanta bumbled its way to a good move. Could the Falcons possibly rebuild without draft picks, cap space, or a quarterback for (at least) all of 2022? If Atlanta’s trade offer was the same as Cleveland’s, it would not have been able to secure Drake London or Arnold Ebiketie (potentially, as Atlanta traded its fourth-round pick to move up for Ebiketie).

The Watson trade would have been a bold move, with Atlanta attempting to do the complete opposite of nearly every team rebuilding plan ever seen before. What other team has mortgaged its future to add an expensive veteran quarterback to a bottom-of-the-league roster? 

Atlanta may have had some seriously bad luck in recent years. Thankfully the Browns saved the Falcons from having the worst luck in the league. For Ridley, he seems destined to be traded next offseason, assuming he returns to football. For Watson, he seems destined to stick with the Browns through the length of his fully-guaranteed deal, assuming he returns to football

Probably dodged a bullet but I'm sure the Browns expected a suspension of some kind. If Watson takes a year off, uses that time to do community service, get professional help with his happy ending addiction, comes back and ultimately wins them a championship in year 5, it's still worth it for them.  Not saying it will happen or I prefer him on our team. We just never know WTH will happen. In 5 years time we could be Superbowl Champs or we could looking at the Browns with envy for having a prime Watson at QB. 

Look at MV7. Thought he'd be washed up after prison, then see him put up 6 TDs in 1 game while wearing a Philly jersey. 

Just now, red falcon said:

Man we need the season to start. This is not at you my guy @HASHBROWN3. They have definitely run out of stuff to write about. At least try to dig into X's and O's, scheme or how players will be used. Idk man.

I’m doing my best to put stuff up just to have something to look at. 😆

49 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Probably dodged a bullet but I'm sure the Browns expected a suspension of some kind. If Watson takes a year off, uses that time to do community service, get professional help with his happy ending addiction, comes back and ultimately wins them a championship in year 5, it's still worth it for them.  Not saying it will happen or I prefer him on our team. We just never know WTH will happen. In 5 years time we could be Superbowl Champs or we could looking at the Browns with envy for having a prime Watson at QB. 

Look at MV7. Thought he'd be washed up after prison, then see him put up 6 TDs in 1 game while wearing a Philly jersey. 

Watson is going to get help to not have women wack him off? I'm pretty sure everyone likes a good O. He'll just hire massage "therapists" to "come" to him.

36 minutes ago, Snafu said:

A big, fully guaranteed contract to a QB that will have not taken a snap in 2 years. Interesting.

That’s what I keep thinking when I think about DW. I know Watson is an exceptional talent, but I can’t imagine the time away not affecting his ability (to some degree) to play at the level he played at in the past. Not to mention the hit his character is going to take when he does return. This is one time where the Falcons didn’t completely step in it, but it was still a messy situation in the end.

2 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I’m really not trying to promote any more DW stuff but we’re so very fortunate because we dodged a speeding bullet & I’m thankful it did not work out. It would have tapped us out for a long time.  Whew!

I agree. We don't need anymore setbacks. Had this scenario played out though it might have been the final nail in the coffin for many. After all that has happened to this franchise this move would have been in lockstep with the past.

22 minutes ago, myatlfalcons said:

Watson is going to get help to not have women wack him off? I'm pretty sure everyone likes a good O. He'll just hire massage "therapists" to "come" to him.

Right. He has all the money in the world. That's what a lot of women heck i guess men want anyway 😆

He just needs to be more considerate of his choices as well as putting out there what his intentions are from the jump.

12 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I’m really not trying to promote any more DW stuff but we’re so very fortunate because we dodged a speeding bullet & I’m thankful it did not work out. It would have tapped us out for a long time.  Whew!

Nobody knows what might have been, but if Blank had successfully blown up the 'Falcons Filter' for Watson with the team already bereft of talent and its catastrophically bad salary cap, he might've ended up with an obliterated franchise.

Blank might have faced such a whiplash of anger from the fans, flaming ridicule from the media and a total disaster on the field, he could've ended up forced to sell the team. The new owner, feeling that the Falcons had probably irrevocably alienated local fans with the 28-3 SB debacle and then the crash-dive to the dregs of the league followed by the nightmare Watson trade, might have looked to move the team elsewhere. 

If that scenario would have happened, I'm not at all sure the majority of fans wouldn't have said, "Good riddance!" and been ready to chuck the Falcons checkered past in Atlanta into the dustbin of history and walked away with no regrets. 

Thankfully, it didn't happen and Blank and the team are enjoying a strong rekindling of hope for the future with the influx of draft picks and FA's picked up instead of picking up Watson and all the baggage and financial burdens he would've brought with him. Instead of dodging a speeding bullet, we possibly dodged the spectacular crash and dissolution of the Atlanta Falcons franchise. 

23 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Right. He has all the money in the world. That's what a lot of women heck i guess men want anyway 😆

He just needs to be more considerate of his choices as well as putting out there what his intentions are from the jump.

Agree. For a man of his wealth to find himself in the mess he's in is the epitome of stupidity. All he had to do was say what he wanted/expected. I'm sure for the right price he could've gotten what he wanted and stayed out of trouble. But, even if he had been more discreet, the Watson trade would STILL have gone down in infamy, likely rating right up there with 28-3 in the annals of Falcon FAIL. 

4 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Nobody knows what might have been, but if Blank had successfully blown up the 'Falcons Filter' for Watson with the team already bereft of talent and its catastrophically bad salary cap, he might've ended up with an obliterated franchise.

Blank might have faced such a whiplash of anger from the fans, flaming ridicule from the media and a total disaster on the field, he could've ended up forced to sell the team. The new owner, feeling that the Falcons had probably irrevocably alienated local fans with the 28-3 SB debacle and then the crash-dive to the dregs of the league followed by the nightmare Watson trade, might have looked to move the team elsewhere. 

If that scenario would have happened, I'm not at all sure the majority of fans wouldn't have said, "Good riddance!" and been ready to chuck the Falcons checkered past in Atlanta into the dustbin of history and walked away with no regrets. 

Thankfully, it didn't happen and Blank and the team are enjoying a strong rekindling of hope for the future with the influx of draft picks and FA's picked up instead of picking up Watson and all the baggage and financial burdens he would've brought with him. Instead of dodging a speeding bullet, we possibly dodged the spectacular crash and dissolution of the Atlanta Falcons franchise. 

That was very well stated!!  

I concur 100%.

AB needs to stay the heck out of it as much as possible.  My goodness we’re so very lucky & fortunate.

In My Honest Opinion, our involvement with Watson is being overblown.  I think Blank wanted to look like we are a player, but I cannot fathom that Terry Font would remotely want to waste the capital needed on a man who by the day looks more like a steaming piece of poop.  We alienated MR2 just listening.  But, in every conceivable way, we dodged a bullet.  Or better put, someone else took the bullet for us.  Cleveland out Falconed the Falcons in the end.  

18 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

OUTSTANDING.

The sports media is very predictable when it comes to the Falcons.

Watson signals to Falcons he’s interested in coming here and: 

1. falcons refuse to pick up the phone = “Falcons, needing a long term solution at QB, don’t even pick up the phone when one of the top young talents reach out to them. Bumbling falcons”

2. falcons pick up the phone = “falcons, with no legitimate shot to sign Watson, get played and lose Matt Ryan after make an effort to go after him. Bumbling falcons”

Watson now about to get suspended indefinitely:

Had Falcons landed Watson: “Falcons foolishly bet the farm on a sex predator and get what they deserve. Bumbling falcons”

Falcons didn’t land Watson: “falcons ineptitude of failing to sign Watson save them from themselves after Watson suspension: Bumbling falcons”

wash, rinse and repeat daily for months through countless media outlets, including those who present themselves as pro falcon

1 hour ago, myatlfalcons said:

He has money, fame, athletic build. Dude can get laid when he wants. That's why I think it's some weird addiction he has. He probably gets off trying to get legit therapists to do something they're not supposed to do. The ones that openly offer it are too easy in his eyes. 

Anyways, I'm ready for the season to start.. 

2 hours ago, gazoo said:

The sports media is very predictable when it comes to the Falcons.

Watson signals to Falcons he’s interested in coming here and: 

1. falcons refuse to pick up the phone = “Falcons, needing a long term solution at QB, don’t even pick up the phone when one of the top young talents reach out to them. Bumbling falcons”

2. falcons pick up the phone = “falcons, with no legitimate shot to sign Watson, get played and lose Matt Ryan after make an effort to go after him. Bumbling falcons”

Watson now about to get suspended indefinitely:

Had Falcons landed Watson: “Falcons foolishly bet the farm on a sex predator and get what they deserve. Bumbling falcons”

Falcons didn’t land Watson: “falcons ineptitude of failing to sign Watson save them from themselves after Watson suspension: Bumbling falcons”

wash, rinse and repeat daily for months through countless media outlets, including those who present themselves as pro falcon

Perfectly written.  And IMHO, totally correct.  ****ed if we do, ****ed if we don't.  However, this is what happens when the Falcons have been traditionally sans culture and commitment to total team excellence.

46 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Perfectly written.  And IMHO, totally correct.  ****ed if we do, ****ed if we don't.  However, this is what happens when the Falcons have been traditionally sans culture and commitment to total team excellence.

I th8nk before Blank the falcons didn’t care about winning, it was pretty obvious to a lot up of us fans, especially when we would let players like Deion Sanders go without offering him the kind of money other teams did. 

I would say Blank has always wanted to win, he just had a lot of rookie ownership mistakes at first and showed a bit too much loyalty to failing people around him by giving them too many chances.  We came within a bad call on a single snap of winning a Super Bowl in 2016 but DQ lost the team after that and should have been let go before he was. 

How long are we gonna talk about the pervert that’s never been on the team. Thankful the browns jumped in front of the speeding train, but everything to be said about this guy and the team trying to trade for him has been beaten into the ground at this point.