Braves @ Cubs

Unknøwn

Friday, 2:20, Bally

Morton (4-3, 5.67) vs Thompson (6-2, 3.67)

Saturday, 2:20, Bally

Wright (7-3, 2.57) vs Steele (1-4, 4.33)

Sunday, 2:20, Bally

Anderson (5-3, 4.81) vs Hendricks (2-5, 4.95)

Cubs come in the exact opposite of the Braves. They've lost 9 in a row. They've allowed 61 runs in 5 games. SD just scored 35 runs in 3 games at Wrigley. 

The Mets play on Thursday so the Braves will enter Friday at either 3.5 or 4.5 back. 

As Atlanta fans, I sincerely hope everyone is taking the time to savor this.

We're the defending world champions, and we've won 14 consecutive games.

If we'd gotten *either* of those, we'd be happy about the last year of baseball.

This team somehow achieved both. It's the stuff of myth and legend.

39 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

This is a series we should so easily sweep on paper with how our trajectories are going that I hope we don’t get too cocky. 

Hopefully the Cubs win today so they don’t come in a total spiral 

It looks great on paper but 17 wins in a row is really difficult. It's only happened 21 times in the entire history of baseball and just three times since 1953. They can do it but it's tough to go 17 games without one slip up. 

3 hours ago, jidady said:

As Atlanta fans, I sincerely hope everyone is taking the time to savor this.

We're the defending world champions, and we've won 14 consecutive games.

If we'd gotten *either* of those, we'd be happy about the last year of baseball.

This team somehow achieved both. It's the stuff of myth and legend.

9 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

It looks great on paper but 17 wins in a row is really difficult. It's only happened 21 times in the entire history of baseball and just three times since 1953. They can do it but it's tough to go 17 games without one slip up. 

The baseball gods have a way of setting these things up. Of course the team with the longest losing streak in the league would be the team to snap the longest winning streak in the league.

Edited by NashvilleFalcon01

2 hours ago, tl;dr said:

This is a series we should so easily sweep on paper with how our trajectories are going that I hope we don’t get too cocky. 

Hopefully the Cubs win today so they don’t come in a total spiral 

Maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea to struggle a little this series. Which could light a fire under them and then they come home a destroy SFG and LAD

Charlie just has to get out of the first. His ERA in the first inning is 10.50. He's allowed 14 first inning runs in 12 starts. He settles in after that until the 5th when it jumps back up to 6.97. His best innings are the 3rd and 4th when he has a 1.59 and 0.82. If he just get off to a good start tomorrow he could have a quality outing 

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Charlie just has to get out of the first. His ERA in the first inning is 10.50. He's allowed 14 first inning runs in 12 starts. He settles in after that until the 5th when it jumps back up to 6.97. His best innings are the 3rd and 4th when he has a 1.59 and 0.82. If he just get off to a good start tomorrow he could have a quality outing 

His curveball is the worst it's ever been in his career by a very large margin.

30 minutes ago, Malachore said:

His curveball is the worst it's ever been in his career by a very large margin.

You obviously weren't around for the beginning of Charlie Morton. There's a reason why the Braves picked Jo-Jo Reyes, even though I hated it at the time. He was heinous in 2008. Matt Harrison was actually ahead of him in prospect rankings back then, too. Beau Jones had the best curveball in the organization back then as well. Morton's the rare player who got a LOT better in the majors.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

You obviously weren't around for the beginning of Charlie Morton. There's a reason why the Braves picked Jo-Jo Reyes, even though I hated it at the time. He was heinous in 2008. Matt Harrison was actually ahead of him in prospect rankings back then, too. Beau Jones had the best curveball in the organization back then as well. Morton's the rare player who got a LOT better in the majors.

I was definitely around. There was a tweet breaking down his CB and its been the worst he's had. They measure it by run value, it is +8 right now, last year it was -22.

This year and 2020 were the only years where it wasn't at least -10.

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

I was definitely around. There was a tweet breaking down his CB and its been the worst he's had. They measure it by run value, it is +8 right now, last year it was -22.

This year and 2020 were the only years where it wasn't at least -10.

What are they saying it was in 2008? Because I don't believe that for a second. If they said "since he became Charlie f'n Morton", I might believe that. He wasn't even a strikeout pitcher until 2014, arguably even 2017.

51 minutes ago, jidady said:

What are they saying it was in 2008? Because I don't believe that for a second. If they said "since he became Charlie f'n Morton", I might believe that. He wasn't even a strikeout pitcher until 2014, arguably even 2017.

I'm not sure when the stat first came about. Regardless though, if the worst it's been in even the past 4 years was -10 and now it's +8 I think we can both agree that's a major reason for his bad play this season.

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Don't forget, every game in this series begins at 2:20. Day games from Wrigley all weekend. Braves have improved their day record to 11-12. 

Cubs did lose their 10th straight yesterday. They're just 11-24 at Wrigley this year. 

That’s honestly not something I like to see. Sooner or later it’s going to break