Summer 2022 UGA Recruiting Thread

9 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

My comment about negative recruiting being done with wr was due to that article you posted.  That was one of a few examples of rival programs trying to to put doubt in wide receiver's heads that we won't give them enough targets.  That fact that we have recruited at a very very high level having the 4th best qb room in all of college football destroys any narrative about quarterbacks.  The fact that UGA won with Stetson Bennett at qb this past year shows our staff knows what they are doing regarding quarterbacks.  We have 2 - 5 stars, 1 - 4 star, and a national champion winning quarterback.  There is no perception where we can't get high 5 star qbs to commit to UGA and compete.  I am sure some team's who are desperate will try the ole "just because a qb is the most talented they are not guaranteed a starting job" which is a pretty weak attempt..  Any staff who promises a starting job just because you are the most talented qb is asking to be fired.. Talent alone doesn't mean a qb is ready or capable of starting.  You know a few years ago there was other negative recruiting such as UGA couldn't develop defensive linemen for the NFL.. However as we saw this past NFL Draft that narrative was destroyed.  

No doubt that Georgia proved they could win with a quarterback like Bennett because that Georgia squad was stacked with talent.  Its also true that yes,  every team will use negative recruiting against another team.  My only point is there IS a perception about Georgia and its handling of quarterbacks, whether it stems from negative recruiting or the fact that most people outside the program were bufuddled as to how Kirby has handled his quarterbacks.  Its not coming from me, I'm just a messenger.  When the Mannings EVALUATED Georgia, they HAD to evaluate whether they believed Sark or Kirby would be the best fit.  As part of that evaluation, they HAD to look at the recent history at Georgia.  Does that mean they are right?  Not necessarily because Georgia proved with stats and a National Championship that they could win with how they were running their offense.  I'm more upset with the Mannings for not choosing Georgia because I believe its more about THEM and not the Georgia program.  I believe Manning would have succeeded at Georgia.  My comments are about the FACTS about how outsiders look at Georgia's offense whether the perception is warranted or not.  This actually started waay back with Richt trying to make Cam Newton into a tight end, Georgia's failure to get Deshaun Watson, then later on with Trevor Lawrence.  By the time Eason and Fields were recruited, outsiders already had their opinions.  Below are snippets from GEORGIA FOLLOWERS about what I'm pointing out:

https://www.redandblack.com/sports/column-georgia-s-quarterback-problem-has-been-brewing-for-years/article_c910b024-262f-11eb-a5a8-f33d5696f813.html

Georgia’s quarterback conundrum goes back before Smart’s hiring in December 2015, when high school sophomore Lawrence was spurned by then-offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer at a recruiting event.

Dawg Night 2015, a Mark Richt summer camp, featured both Eason and Lawrence, but Schottenheimer didn’t pay any attention to the future top prospect in the class of 2018. Smitten with Eason, Schottenheimer failed to offer a scholarship to Lawrence, who left disappointed.

Looking around the college football landscape, it’s tough to neglect the fact that Georgia once had a shot at some of the nation’s top performers — from Fields to Cartersville, Georgia, product Trevor Lawrence, who’s spending his Saturdays setting records at Clemson. Instead, 2020 left the Bulldogs with underperforming Stetson Bennett, inconsistent D’Wan Mathis and an absent JT Daniels.

How did the Bulldogs get here? The story starts sooner than Smart, and it can be charted across six years, three offensive coordinators, two five-star signings and one major transfer.

The 2019 season was the start of the sting for Georgia’s quarterback situation. Sure, Fromm led a charge in 2017, but how could he have truly beat out Fields in 2018? What wasn’t clicking in practice that led to an outcome where, from an outsider’s perspective, the obviously better quarterback was waiting on the sideline? Was Fromm truly the best for Georgia?

Fields’ transfer became more of a sore spot in 2019 as he pillaged through the Big Ten, completing 67.2% of his passes for 3,273 yards, 41 passing touchdowns and 10 rushing touchdowns.

He led Ohio State to a College Football Playoff berth, where he fell to Lawrence’s Clemson in the semifinals. Fields was invited to the Heisman Trophy presentation and gained plenty of national attention after a year of little exposure at Georgia.

Meanwhile, Fromm struggled through his first year without any real competition behind him, finishing with his lowest completion percentage of 60.2%, 24 touchdowns and five interceptions. The Bulldogs fell to eventual national champion LSU in an ugly SEC championship game loss and defeated Baylor in their second consecutive Sugar Bowl appearance.

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Just saw this on SoFl's site.

Per @SoFl_Dawg, 2024 5-star QB Sayin has a strong probability to commit this summer to UGA, with the design of recruiting both ‘23 and ‘24 WRs/TEs to come join him.

An obvious progression from the Arch fallout.

I hate to say this, but I know nothing at all about this kid. What’s his first name and I’ll do some research. 

Found him….. impressive highlight reel. Steps up well, extends plays well. Accurate passer that doesnt have to put a high arch on the ball. Runs good if he needs to. If he comes to Georgia I think he’ll do very well in our system. 

Yeah I posted a week or so ago that I felt Harris was about to go public.. We have led hugely for him for a while.. Our staff did a terrific job with him.. Now he will go public on July 1st..   Bowles is freaking awesome.. The son of a coach as well which I love..  We are going to be #1 in the recruiting rankings by the end of July or right up there depending on what other team's add.. 

On 6/25/2022 at 10:01 PM, Wardog357 said:

Found him….. impressive highlight reel. Steps up well, extends plays well. Accurate passer that doesnt have to put a high arch on the ball. Runs good if he needs to. If he comes to Georgia I think he’ll do very well in our system. 

We will be adding our 2024 qb commit before the season or right after it starts IMO.. Sayin is a great one where we sit in a terrific spot right now.. I would be very happy with Sayin or Davis.. can't go wrong either way. 

42 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

LB Raylen Wilson decommited from Michigan.. :) I believe the Dawgs will be getting 3 of the top 6 linebackers in the nation.  Going to be a huge boom July!!!

Yep, but I think it's more like 3 of the top 4 ILBs when it's all said and done. CJ Allen is the lowest rated one of these three but will probably end up being the best one. 

15 hours ago, putnam6 said:

It's weird you hear Arch Manning, but when you watch his film, it's not all that impressive especially when you look the competition. After I watch some of Manning's film I watched Gunner. Bulldogs are gonna be more than fine at QB.

He wouldn't be ranked #1 if he didn't have the Manning last name.

21 hours ago, putnam6 said:

It's weird you hear Arch Manning, but when you watch his film, it's not all that impressive especially when you look the competition. After I watch some of Manning's film I watched Gunner. Bulldogs are gonna be more than fine at QB.

It’s because Arch played against nobodies and he had nobodies on his team lol. I think he played with one player that was a big time recruit. And he doesn’t do camps and won’t play in any all star game. 

12 hours ago, putnam6 said:

Agreed.  We talked about that earlier.. that is the big question mark with manning and that is the level of competition he is against..  qbs are really affected by their competition especially in high school.. they can look a lot better due to that (as do many positions).. arch is very talented, but i think he is rated higher due to his last name, but with his family's history it is hard to not understand why.  Arch is very talented, but his ranking has a lot to do with his last name.  

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Big get. He's probably one of the top 2 or 3 CBs in this class. 

You probably heard but it looks like we've lost Sydir Mitchell to Texas for a huge bag. 

Yep.. took the nil bag.