Summer 2022 UGA Recruiting Thread

Update from SoFL

"I just touched down in Atlanta connecting on a flight home. Just saw the news. Can’t pussyfoot around this, huge loss on Arch because of the effort and resources put into landing him and cutting bait with others who are equally or more talented.

Did hear from my source that our staff was informed this morning. They were not expecting this decision. All I know at this time is that Arch made the decision and it’s supported by all Mannings. When I hear more, you guys will. Have not heard anything about plan B at QB for 23.

Personal opinion, I’ll hold the L on the projection to the class. I deserve that and it is what it is. I still maintain Arch isn’t worth all this buzz just assessing his HS tape. As far as WRs, I think this will hurt our chances with Jalen Hale for sure. TBD on any other WRs. The main thing that bothers me is losing Raiola due to this recruitment as we were in great spot; I don’t expect him to decommit with the weapons that have gone public to osu. Lonergan also was a QB that I think could’ve done some things here that we cut bait with. I don’t expect him to circle back.

The football program won’t skip a beat here regardless of what some think today." 

My Longhorn wife was jumping up and down in the sales office of a car lot today when the news dropped. The sales guy didn’t get it. Folks are going nuts here about Manning. 
Almost feel like no matter what Quinn Ewers does he’ll only have a single season. Maybe Ewers can drive his Aston Martin with the burnt orange leather up to Baylor. 

Edited by Killing Floor

5 hours ago, Spts1 said:

Which is why I made the post above about Jacob Eason and Justin Fields.  It doesn't matter what dawg fans think of Eason or Fields, its the PERCEPTION.  When C.J. Stroud chose Ohio State over Georgia, that was the first sign to me that NFL talented quarterbacks are gonna waver on signing at Georgia.  Sark put Mac Jones of all people into the NFL.  The Mannings obviously looked all this and made their decision.   I hope Georgia destroys Texas if they can get a game against them.

jacob eason and justin fields have nothing to do with this.. It isn't perceptoin.. If it was then we would haven't added Brock and Gunner who everybody wanted to be dawgs.  Arch going elsewhere has nothing to do with that.  We have gotten top qbs in the last 2 classes, but their are both not ready yet to take over.  Beck was a heck of a recruit as well and we took him as our qb in 2020.. We are getting terrific qb prospects in 2 - 5 stars and 1 - 4 star.  arch manning is not better than gunner stockton.  Gunner is a better qb and arch would have struggled to compete with Gunner when he got to campus.. He wasn't going to be handed over the job.  The issue with WRs is due to our offense not having guys with big numbers individually.. We rotate our wrs way too often IMO, but that bit alabama this past year because they rarely rotate their guys. They had 2 major injuries, but because they rarely played the backups in games their backups were not ready to perform.   At UGA we had literally 5 wrs out for most of the season or playing hurt and rarely was able to see the field, but we had guys step up because they got experience with rotation.  So while alabama will get better wr talent (especially guys who are transfers) if you aren't their top guys you won't see the field much and saban can whine all he want about backups not being ready, but that was his own dang fault.  You have programs like ohio state and ryan day who have proven they will throw and throw and they will get terrific wrs (they got 3 straight top 20 guys this past week), but will that turn into national titles?  We both eventually it will, but who knows how long that will take.  

7 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

My Longhorn wife was jumping up and down in the sales office of a car lot today when the news dropped. The sales guy didn’t get it. Folks are going nuts here about Manning. 
Almost feel like no matter what Quinn Ewers does he’ll only have a single season. Maybe Ewers can drive his Aston Martin with the burnt orange leather up to Baylor. 

Ewers will be transferring and hitting the portal because there is no way that Sark won't be forced to play him which is an issue because Arch isn't close to being ready.. His competition and playing in a private league is a big issue for him and his readiness for college.. At UGA he would have had to compete with Gunner, Brock, and possibly Beck and would have had to sit at least a year or 2, but with Sark and all the resources they have put into manning you know the pressure will be on him to play manning right away.. Sark doesn't have a title to hand his hat on and say trust me I have a process.  Losing to kansas in year 1 already had many within texas questioning sark and his ability to turn them around.. now with manning that pressure will amplify. 

4 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

If I recall, jadyn Davis grew up a UGA fan 

Give me Sayin and end the qb recruiting.. We are in great shape for him right now.  I would be happy with Davis or Sayin, but I think we are in a better spot for Sayin right now.. It is still very early for 2024.  I still hope we take a qb that is developmental in this class.. A kid who has some nice upside and is willing to stick it out and improve.. 

On 6/22/2022 at 6:13 PM, youngbloodz said:

yeah Que occasionally has good intel. He blame AJ Harris going to UGA on his dad being greedy. Also said the same about Jaden’s dad. And he said the reason why Miami got TreVonte Citizen last year is because Mario promised him the starting spot😂😂

btw.. que is letting his guys know what is up.. LOLOL  

https://247sports.com/college/florida/board/14/Contents/which-would-you-rather--189142415/?page=1

10 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

Ewers will be transferring and hitting the portal because there is no way that Sark won't be forced to play him which is an issue because Arch isn't close to being ready.. His competition and playing in a private league is a big issue for him and his readiness for college.. At UGA he would have had to compete with Gunner, Brock, and possibly Beck and would have had to sit at least a year or 2, but with Sark and all the resources they have put into manning you know the pressure will be on him to play manning right away.. Sark doesn't have a title to hand his hat on and say trust me I have a process.  Losing to kansas in year 1 already had many within texas questioning sark and his ability to turn them around.. now with manning that pressure will amplify. 

I agree. There’s so much pressure here on Sark and Texas. 2 top QB commits back to back with Ewers transfer and now this. They have been middling for quite some time. I root for a different team in Big 12 and I grew up in a Bulldog family and still am happy to root for UGA throughout the season, they don’t play Baylor often and last time y’all kicked our butt. But gotta stay married so we’ll be at DKR as often as McLane in the fall. I don’t know what swayed Arch to Texas but didn’t one of his classmates (tight end?) just commit there last week?  
I know he came to Austin several times because it’s headline news.  Same with UGA. 

22 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

I agree. There’s so much pressure here on Sark and Texas. 2 top QB commits back to back with Ewers transfer and now this. They have been middling for quite some time. I root for a different team in Big 12 and I grew up in a Bulldog family and still am happy to root for UGA throughout the season, they don’t play Baylor often and last time y’all kicked our butt. But gotta stay married so we’ll be at DKR as often as McLane in the fall. I don’t know what swayed Arch to Texas but didn’t one of his classmates (tight end?) just commit there last week?  
I know he came to Austin several times because it’s headline news.  Same with UGA. 

The issue for Arch at uga was our qb room..  UGA is ranked the 4th best qb room in the country and there are guys more talented than arch when he steps on campus who have a few years on him so he will struggle to get playing time at UGA right away.  With texas you know he was given some assurance he would play early and Ewers could be pushed aside unless he just destroys it this coming year and then Sark will have a bit of an issue depending on what he told arch and his family.  I hate texas and their fans are pretty dang bad, but I can't wait for them to be in the SEC so we get a chance to play them instead of in a meaningless bowl game.  I am so happy btw baylor is killing it.  BTW here is some information that hopefully dawg fans get..

From CBSSportsline on QB rooms: 

For all the talk of his limitations, Stetson Bennett ended 2021 ranking No. 2 in the SEC in quarterback rating, No. 4 in passing touchdowns, No. 5 in yards passing and No. 1 in yards per attempt. He was highly efficient and made big-time plays in the national championship game to deliver the 'Dawgs their first ring since 1980. The room behind him is unproven but supremely talented. Brock Vandagriff was a five-star in the Class of 2021, while Carson Beck is entering his third year with the group. Gunner Stockton, meanwhile, is another blue-chip recruit who should provide valuable depth. We'd like to see a little more experience from the backup group in 2022, but Bennett is a good quarterback.

Picture_1_normal.png

Can't believe the Georgia fans are too heartbroken with the news that Arch Manning has committed to Texas. UGA's quarterback room includes two five stars, one four star, and a guy who has won a national championship. Not bad.

It’s the kind of recruiting land that Sark really needed. Mediocre in the Big 12 for many years and it doesn’t get any easier moving to the SEC. They need Jimmies and Joes.

Expectations are sky high for Arch and the pressure is ridiculous in Austin. I hope for his sake that Arch doesn’t start early because I totally agree he’s not ready. Biggest reason I didn’t mind so much going all in for him, he would have time to develop and Kirby clearly doesn’t give a rats *** who everyone thinks he should play at QB. Not the case at Texas. But I hope it works out because I can’t stand OU or A&M.

50 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

.  I hate texas and their fans are pretty dang bad

I get it. But I’m not going to leave my wife over it. I think they’ll struggle in the SEC in football. I don’t like Oklahoma at all so I’ll just pull for Dawgs. Maybe OU will be OK but both have a long way to go. 

9 hours ago, Red Bandana said:

smart move by him. Shouldn’t have to sit behind Stetson for the next 6 years 

I never said anything but I never thought he was coming here. A lot of very good talent on the roster. He’ll get to play sooner instead of later at Texas. 

Manning could have made for a huge distraction and created tension within the team. Not because of him but just because of expectations being so high. But at least he gets to wear a similar color scheme as Peyton. 🤣

On 6/23/2022 at 7:34 PM, SacFalcFan said:

jacob eason and justin fields have nothing to do with this.. It isn't perceptoin..

Anthony Evans III: Texas speedster shows how Georgia football countered negative perceptions on his visit.

Anthony Evans III heard some negative recruiting about Georgia and its offense and its WRs.

That was the biggest takeaway for Evans from his UGA official. The Bulldogs had to debunk perception versus reality with its offense.

“They know I am a big-time recruit at the receiver position,” he said. “They know what people say. You know what the saying is with Georgia. They really don’t throw the ball at Georgia. That’s what I really think they tried to push for me. That’s what people say.

“Coach [Bryan] McClendon and the offensive coordinator [Todd] Monken were trying to push that to me. They were basically saying ‘If we are up by 30 points going into the second half, then what’s the point of throwing the ball?’ with that.

“They really showed me first-half stats and being that they pulled out the proof. All the stats and stuff like that. They said they have like the third-most receivers drafted in the last 10 years. I feel like that’s a fact that most people don’t really know.”

“It was a great experience for me at Georgia. Coming off that week and the official visit I was just at with Oklahoma. They made a really good impression.”

https://www.dawgnation.com/recruiting/anthony-evans-iii-texas-speedster-breaks-down-crucial-georgia-football-official-visit/5QY3N3NV4RDFLPCIOWSVFYUIN4/

13 hours ago, Spts1 said:

Anthony Evans III: Texas speedster shows how Georgia football countered negative perceptions on his visit.

Anthony Evans III heard some negative recruiting about Georgia and its offense and its WRs.

That was the biggest takeaway for Evans from his UGA official. The Bulldogs had to debunk perception versus reality with its offense.

“They know I am a big-time recruit at the receiver position,” he said. “They know what people say. You know what the saying is with Georgia. They really don’t throw the ball at Georgia. That’s what I really think they tried to push for me. That’s what people say.

“Coach [Bryan] McClendon and the offensive coordinator [Todd] Monken were trying to push that to me. They were basically saying ‘If we are up by 30 points going into the second half, then what’s the point of throwing the ball?’ with that.

“They really showed me first-half stats and being that they pulled out the proof. All the stats and stuff like that. They said they have like the third-most receivers drafted in the last 10 years. I feel like that’s a fact that most people don’t really know.”

“It was a great experience for me at Georgia. Coming off that week and the official visit I was just at with Oklahoma. They made a really good impression.”

https://www.dawgnation.com/recruiting/anthony-evans-iii-texas-speedster-breaks-down-crucial-georgia-football-official-visit/5QY3N3NV4RDFLPCIOWSVFYUIN4/

My comment about negative recruiting being done with wr was due to that article you posted.  That was one of a few examples of rival programs trying to to put doubt in wide receiver's heads that we won't give them enough targets.  That fact that we have recruited at a very very high level having the 4th best qb room in all of college football destroys any narrative about quarterbacks.  The fact that UGA won with Stetson Bennett at qb this past year shows our staff knows what they are doing regarding quarterbacks.  We have 2 - 5 stars, 1 - 4 star, and a national champion winning quarterback.  There is no perception where we can't get high 5 star qbs to commit to UGA and compete.  I am sure some team's who are desperate will try the ole "just because a qb is the most talented they are not guaranteed a starting job" which is a pretty weak attempt..  Any staff who promises a starting job just because you are the most talented qb is asking to be fired.. Talent alone doesn't mean a qb is ready or capable of starting.  You know a few years ago there was other negative recruiting such as UGA couldn't develop defensive linemen for the NFL.. However as we saw this past NFL Draft that narrative was destroyed.