Falcons acquiring Raiders WR Bryan Edwards

17 hours ago, ShoNuff said:

@ya_boi_j - I mean....the previous GM did acquired the Ravens 3rd string TE for a 2nd rd pick. I understand that Hurst was a former 1st round pick, but you do not give up such a high draft pick for a 3rd string TE. I like Hurst, wish he was still on the Falcons, but did not believe he was worth a 2nd round pick.

Hurst was also traded to be the starter and someone who was going to be on the field for the majority of the offensive snaps.

Edwards is likely a "starter" however he will probably see much fewer snaps than Hurst did due to the nature in which runs his offense.

25 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

My main hope is that they aren't just all size. Need them to release that dawg in them. 

If these dudes they bringing in have that edge, then we aren’t going to be bad long, if at all. 

Honestly, I hope Ridder is the real deal and is the future so that we don’t have to worry about it next draft and improve the overall roster around him. 

With the influx of money next year we could be a very intriguing team next year, just that fast! 

12 hours ago, Outmyfalconmind said:

My good friend is a big Raiders fan. He said dude was a bum, I asked why and this is what he said;

"He never shows up. His stats are trash considering after Ruggs he was our WR1 outside and still couldn't do anything. Doesn't separate and should be a big body target in the RZ but doesn't exist. Makes a play here and there but overall he is underwhelming and I often forgot he was even on the team even tho he started bruh lol."

I have high hopes for a kid 23 years old, but I've seen WR2 being mentioned here and thought what my buddy said was interesting enough to share.

Got plenty of buddies who tell me Matt Ryan was always hot garbage. 

2 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I’m really starting to get excited about where we are headed when he gets some serious money in his pocket to work with!

I’m more excited about filling out a team for cheap. 
I mean sure, I hope we get some FA OL next year, and a couple big pieces. 

But every year you need to find 10 guys who are cheap but productive to keep from having major holes. 

My big hope is that he can excel at grabbing 3-5m guys that outplay their contracts.  That will make a big difference 

8 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

I’m more excited about filling out a team for cheap. 
I mean sure, I hope we get some FA OL next year, and a couple big pieces. 

But every year you need to find 10 guys who are cheap but productive to keep from having major holes. 

My big hope is that he can excel at grabbing 3-5m guys that outplay their contracts.  That will make a big difference 

I always say Championships are won by how well the other guys play, Be it through draft or FA.

My thing about having the money is prying away a couple of difference maker dudes that will make those guys even better. 

34 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

Outside of the Ryan debacle (fully confident we went into the offseason with the intent to run it back with Ryan before Watson called, lost the sweepstakes and tanked our leverage trading Ryan) I’ve been pleased with this offseason 

We have done some good things and some very "meh" things.

I think that they did a good job in adding/keeping pieces in the secondary which right now is imo the strength of the team.

The draft was hit and miss for me.

I think that they took a couple high reward with higher risk early in the draft but I like the first pick and the last 2 picks....I think that those can be sleeper picks for what we want to do.

I am not really a fan of their oline additions and the lack of speed in the backfield is a bit of a concern.

The receiver room is busy now but still alot of question marks...but with that said I like the potential answers now far more than I did 90 days ago.

Overall I am in wait and see mode with but there is potential there.

Posted (edited)

Dude is only 23 and 6'3" he is a potential mismatch with much smaller corners in the league.  Which is good match opposite of London.  I really like this move.  We Falcons fans know where we have struggled and that is the red zone.  It's clear that Smith and Fontenot are not going to have that be an excuse anymore.  

Edited by zzfrow

2 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I always say Championships are won by how well the other guys play, Be it through draft or FA.

My thing about having the money is prying away a couple of difference maker dudes that will make those guys even better. 

Agreed.  And you definitely need the stars.  I just hope with more money, TF can bring in guys in the 5M range who can be legit depended on starters, just not stars.

I remember when the first Smith came in, and they brought in guys like Crocker and Peterson, and just having competence at those levels made such a big difference.

But yeah, a gamebreaker at WR, DL, and secondary would radically change the team (assuming competent QB play)

1 hour ago, takeitdown said:

Agreed.  And you definitely need the stars.  I just hope with more money, TF can bring in guys in the 5M range who can be legit depended on starters, just not stars.

I remember when the first Smith came in, and they brought in guys like Crocker and Peterson, and just having competence at those levels made such a big difference.

But yeah, a gamebreaker at WR, DL, and secondary would radically change the team (assuming competent QB play)

The only bad thing about trying to get FAs on a budget is that there is a reason a lot of times that they aren’t highly sought after(like the guys we brought in to fill out the roster this year). 

Truly the best way to build your roster is to draft well on day three and then scatter in a few mid level FAs.

17 hours ago, Snafu said:

People on this board thought Matt Ryan was a bum Quarterback and the sole reason why this team is in it's current state....

What I'm trying to say, and no offense to your friend, is that a lot of NFL fans are dumb as ****. Let's see what this coaching staff and offensive scheme can do for him.

Right.. and it’s not like the Raiders are running a well oiled machine over there 😂 they probably couldn’t develop a Polaroid let alone a young WR. I don’t think the Falcons would have went through the trouble of trading for Edwards if they didn’t see a guy they thought they could help realize his full potential..

Remember people didn’t know what to make of us picking up CP as a RB last season either and I think their vision for him worked out pretty well lol.  I’m learning to trust this front office. Between what they did in the draft and the value they’ve been able to get in free agency they’ve earned the benefit of the doubt. 

12 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

If these are the type of moves we can look forward to under Fontenot, I can’t wait to see what he does when he has money! 

Probably a good thing then that he whiffed at getting DW. We dodged a dodge ball on that one IMO. But who knows really if TF was the genius behind the DW run. It could have been the one paying for all of this.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:36 PM, Bridgeburner said:

You could literally line up. London on one side, Edwards on the other. Pitts In Tight, and an I formation in the backfield of Patterson and Algiere. The defense has no idea what the play is. And you have 4 pieces you can move around pre snap to get the matchup they want.

This is the beauty of all these versatile chess pieces. Defensive coordinators won’t know what personnel to send in based on the players we have in the huddle.

We could run virtually anything out of the skill players we have.

And why would we ever punt again? On 4th down, just call a Hail Mary every time :)

8 minutes ago, gazoo said:

This is the beauty of all these versatile chess pieces. Defensive coordinators won’t know what personnel to send in based on the players we have on the field. We could run virtually anything out of the skill players we have.

And why would we ever punt again? On 4th down, just call a Hail Mary every time :)

Add to that the ability for the QB to run at any time and you really have something different than what the Falcons have fielded since the Vick era.

9 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I kind of feel that this is being completely overblown. Haven't seen many talking about MM being inaccurate, only Ridder. That said, most of these guys were signed before they knew they even had a shot at Ridder. Why can't it be these are literally the types Smith wants in his offense? Big, physical and strong receivers. 

I believe Smith wants big & physical WRs to help run the ball, similar to how the Titans look on offense.