Tarik Cohen - Amazing read

PriMeTiiMe

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

Wow man, that's heavy stuff.

It can sometimes be easy to forget that these NFL stars aren't above life kicking them in the *** just as much as us regular folks.

Kind of makes you take a step back to our own player Calvin Ridley. Fans don't know what is going on behind the scenes for these guys. Ridley made a stupid mistake after the fact but we don't know what sort of stuff he has been dealing with outside of football.

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Kind of makes you take a step back to our own player Calvin Ridley. Fans don't know what is going on behind the scenes for these guys. Ridley made a stupid mistake after the fact but we don't know what sort of stuff he has been dealing with outside of football.

Been saying it since the beginning. Dude made a mistake by betting on HIS OWN team to win a game while he was away. Yea, it was dumb, but it in the grand scheme of things, it's really not that big of a deal. He's not out there hurting people or committing crimes. 

Mental health issues in our country are something we got used to hiding.  This whole lock down, pandemic mindset we developed made that much more of a difference.  Folks need help, and there should be affordable, and copious places for them to get that help.  The stigma of having a mental health problem further stops people from getting the help they need.  I was clinically depressed for over a decade.  I didn't ask to be, I didn't want it to happen, and I was chest deep in it.  Nothing seemed bright, or hopeful.  Everything was dark and negative.  A person entered my life and helped me get the real treatment I needed to beat it.  When you feel like nothing, and mean nothing to anyone, the world gets hopeless quick.  I considered killing myself at one time.  Thankfully, I got the help I needed.  Even a Doktor needs help from time to time.

1 minute ago, Herr Doktor said:

Mental health issues in our country are something we got used to hiding.  This whole lock down, pandemic mindset we developed made that much more of a difference.  Folks need help, and there should be affordable, and copious places for them to get that help.  The stigma of having a mental health problem further stops people from getting the help they need.  I was clinically depressed for over a decade.  I didn't ask to be, I didn't want it to happen, and I was chest deep in it.  Nothing seemed bright, or hopeful.  Everything was dark and negative.  A person entered my life and helped me get the real treatment I needed to beat it.  When you feel like nothing, and mean nothing to anyone, the world gets hopeless quick.  I considered killing myself at one time.  Thankfully, I got the help I needed.  Even a Doktor needs help from time to time.

Sorry that you went through that. Glad you were able to get the help you needed man

14 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Been saying it since the beginning. Dude made a mistake by betting on HIS OWN team to win a game while he was away. Yea, it was dumb, but it in the grand scheme of things, it's really not that big of a deal. He's not out there hurting people or committing crimes. 

After starting out acting like gambling was a Cardinal Sin, the NFL has since embraced gambling like a lost lover. Considering the complete shift in philosophy from its former anti-gambling stance, they should lighten up on the players who make recreational bets on football games, including their own team. This instant season-long ban for a very nominal gambling incident is Draconian and hypocritical. 

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Sorry that you went through that. Glad you were able to get the help you needed man

Thank you brother!  Its hard to reach out.  One thing I like to share with people is if you notice someone you care about is not themselves, ask.  Stress and Pain manifest differently in everyone.  A guy I worked with a few years back killed himself with a shotgun while his daughter was having her seventh birthday party.  No one saw anything in him to see that he was struggling.  But, when you look back, the signs were there.  Pay attention to those you love.

14 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Brave of you to post what you did. I have someone about as close as one can be to me, that battled this and it was a life changing experience.

I will preface that they finally found the way through it with therapy and finally finding the right medicine (strongly suggest the test that actually goes to the DNA level and finds the most effective medicine for you, and not some blanket medicine that the most influential drug rep pimps). Anyway, I will tell anyone and everyone that I did not understand it at first. I had the mindset of simply not rationalizing some of their choices that were deeply impacting the family. That includes walking away from a very highly paid job, to spending day after day in pajamas, and my first and wildly incorrect judgement was just laziness. Fortunately, I always took the compassionate route with this person face to face but I would be lying if I said my mind was saying otherwise.

Again, I learned a lot and ultimately my exterior patience (notice I cannot give myself credit for what I really thinking at the time) and understanding was huge, but appreciate you having the cajones to post something like this. 

TMI but we've had to sign my daughter up for therapy sessions. She's a bang-up go-getter cowboy boot wearing gun shooting seems like everything is under control young woman, but covid and the rest of the real world just about broke her the last few years. She's so afraid her school friends are going to find out because of the stigma. We have to do a better job with supporting people and their mental issues.

If you have older teens check on them ... the last few years haven't been kind to them.

Edited by Geneaut

Injuries are a weird thing.  Look at Peria Jerry.  They never really said what his knee injury was only that it was gruesome.  The fact he came back from that is probably a miracle.  We each take injuries differently.  Blow a knee out, and you never want to do it again.  I hurt my hip playing basketball.  The doctor said it was a strain and walk it off.  Flash forwards a couple of decades I need stints in my hip due to the massive amount of scar tissue that's there and was crushing my blood supply.  You never know.  A bad injury leads to being timid, then self-doubt, and then total collapse of confidence.  We as men do a TERRIBLE job of supporting each other.  Thats where we need to stand up for the young men who need that support.  And I know a lot of old, broken-down men who also need that support.  It's a crying shame that we as people forget that we are people first, every other cadre we feel part of second.

3 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

TMI but we've had to sign my daughter up for therapy sessions. She's a bang-up go-getter cowboy boot wearing gun shooting seems like everything is under control young woman, but covid and the rest of the real world just about broke her the last few years. She's so afraid her school friends are going to find out because of the stigma. We have to do a better job with supporting people and their mental issues.

The whole COVID thing will manifest itself for years.  Nothing at all to do with the virus, everything to do with the isolation.  Mental issues will be an issue for the next ten years if we don't help each other.  You are a good father.  There is no shame in getting help.  I did, and thankfully I am still here because of that.

1 minute ago, Herr Doktor said:

Injuries are a weird thing.  Look at Peria Jerry.  They never really said what his knee injury was only that it was gruesome.  The fact he came back from that is probably a miracle.  We each take injuries differently.  Blow a knee out, and you never want to do it again.  I hurt my hip playing basketball.  The doctor said it was a strain and walk it off.  Flash forwards a couple of decades I need stints in my hip due to the massive amount of scar tissue that's there and was crushing my blood supply.  You never know.  A bad injury leads to being timid, then self-doubt, and then total collapse of confidence.  We as men do a TERRIBLE job of supporting each other.  Thats where we need to stand up for the young men who need that support.  And I know a lot of old, broken-down men who also need that support.  It's a crying shame that we as people forget that we are people first, every other cadre we feel part of second.

Agreed. I tore my Achilles tendon in college and I'll do some dumb-@ss things now not to put that ankle in jeopardy ever again.

7 minutes ago, Swayzee said:

Brave of you to post what you did. I have someone about as close as one can be to me, that battled this and it was a life changing experience.

I will preface that they finally found the way through it with therapy and finally finding the right medicine (strongly suggest the test that actually goes to the DNA level and finds the most effective medicine for you, and not some blanket medicine that the most influential drug rep pimps). Anyway, I will tell anyone and everyone that I did not understand it at first. I had the mindset of simply not rationalizing some of their choices that were deeply impacting the family. That includes walking away from a very highly paid job, to spending day after day in pajamas, and my first and wildly incorrect judgement was just laziness. Fortunately, I always took the compassionate route with this person face to face but I would be lying if I said my mind was saying otherwise.

Again, I learned a lot and ultimately my exterior patience (notice I cannot give myself credit for what I really thinking at the time) and understanding was huge, but appreciate you having the cajones to post something like this. 

Information is key man.  We all deal with things differently, and like you pointed out, much of this is within our DNA.  I had counselling, and rounds of medication to balance my mood.  Digging me out of darkness also required learning how to deal with stressful stimuli.  My therapist (we still send Christmas cards to each other) gave me one great piece of advice or wisdom "You cannot gauge what another is going through because they don't have the same skillset and mental tools you have, or don't".  Its easy to call someone weak or lazy, it takes mettle to step up and tell them they need help.  

4 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Agreed. I tore my Achilles tendon in college and I'll do some dumb-@ss things now not to put that ankle in jeopardy ever again.

Even though theoretically its stronger now than before!  You never clear the mental aspect.  Injuries killed so many careers through the mental aspect.  Jay Burris was a basketball player I loved.  Kid was all heart, and just gave it his all.  Broke his neck driving to the hole.  Wore a halo for months.  Was never the same again.  

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Pete Rose seconds that motion!

12 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Pete Rose seconds that motion!

Absolutely.  I don't care that betting occurred by a player.  I have issues when games are thrown for some kind of criminal syndicate to profit.  Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame.  For me, Ridley's issue is a mental issue that he needs to get right.  He needs help.  Taking this year off, even though it was for gambling, should allow him to get treatment he needs to focus again on being that player we need, but more importantly being the man he can be.

It should be okay. The Falcons are mentioned in there.

This one gets me:

A few weeks after the first surgery, there will be times when you miss a step, or stumble walking down the hall, and before you know it you’ll be cursing at yourself. Screaming at the top of your lungs about how you’re not yourself anymore. No one beyond your inner circle is going to know the full extent of your injuries. Everyone is just going to think it’s a regular ACL tear. And, like you, they’ve seen Odell and a bunch of other guys come back from that in less than a year. So people are going to start questioning you on a bunch of different levels.  

Dudes on Twitter will be calling you “soft,” or talking about how maybe you’re just lazy.

Sometimes we forget that these are human beings. We call them all kinds of names because of a bad play or an injury without remembering that they are sacrificing their bodies and brains for our entertainment.  It doesn't matter how much they are paid, that money doesn't bring back their original knee, fixed their damaged brains, or save their lost family members.

2 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/tarik-cohen-mental-health-nfl-football

Truly a sad story. I know its not TATF and it will probably get moved but I know no one really checks the other boards. Hopefully someone will give this guy a chance again. 

My goodness my heart is broken.

I have one younger brother who ended up getting into trouble after I moved out. I know the feeling of thinking/wishing you could've been there and made a difference.

Its heartbreaking. It's deeply depressing. 

One brother that's trying to achieve something great while juggling his personal goals with his responsibility to his family. There was no easy answer. Deny yourself your life's dream or watch helplessly while your family spirals downward.

This story is a modern day tragedy.

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

The stigma of having a mental health problem further stops people from getting the help they need.  I was clinically depressed for over a decade.  I didn't ask to be, I didn't want it to happen, and I was chest deep in it.  Nothing seemed bright, or hopeful.  Everything was dark and negative.  A person entered my life and helped me get the real treatment I needed to beat it.  When you feel like nothing, and mean nothing to anyone, the world gets hopeless quick.  I considered killing myself at one time.  Thankfully, I got the help I needed.  Even a Doktor needs help from time to time.

Won't get in to the details, but I can definitely relate - the way one person put it to me is would you be ashamed or worried about how you look to people if you told them you had the flu? Those things are illnesses like any other, but I think in terms of awareness and compassion for that kind of stuff, big strides have been made over the last 5 years or so.

Heck I'm still trying to figure out a ton of stuff, and that can definitely be a drag being in your 40s. One thing I know I really struggle with is being thankful and mindful, like yeah I have sucky days like everyone else, but I have a bed, 4 walls, a job - lots don't even have that. Those are the people I try to think of when I start b*tching about life to myself, but some days that is really hard to remember 😆

4 minutes ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

Won't get in to the details, but I can definitely relate - the way one person put it to me is would you be ashamed or worried about how you look to people if you told them you had the flu? Those things are illnesses like any other, but I think in terms of awareness and compassion for that kind of stuff, big strides have been made over the last 5 years or so.

Heck I'm still trying to figure out a ton of stuff, and that can definitely be a drag being in your 40s. One thing I know I really struggle with is being thankful and mindful, like yeah I have sucky days like everyone else, but I have a bed, 4 walls, a job - lots don't even have that. Those are the people I try to think of when I start b*tching about life to myself, but some days that is really hard to remember 😆

Absolutely brother.  The world gets to raging online and the TV, and most of us forget how lucky we all are.  Not saying everyone has it exactly the same, but we are for the most part very fortunate to be where we are.  I stay away from ANY news source as most of it is freaking lies or there to piss someone off.  We all have to understand that for the most part, most folks are in this together.