Deep Dive on Desmond Ridder (Athletic)

BroadwayBlueBleeder

Just going to post the parts I found interesting

“My thought is you have to start Ridder,” he said. “He’s pro ready. He’s one of the more pro-ready quarterbacks I have seen. That doesn’t mean he’s the most talented quarterback I have seen. There were a lot more talented quarterbacks who went last year, but just his pro-readiness, his offense and the things he was asked to do (in college), I think he’s pro ready.” (Ted Nguyen, Analyst and writer for The Athletic)

"You have a very short time to decide what you want to do,” Nguyen said. “There are going to be all these good quarterbacks (in 2023), and you don’t want to be in a situation where you have no idea what you have in Desmond Ridder because you started Marcus Mariota. Mariota is good enough to win you seven games if he stays healthy and maybe he gets you out of that range where you can get the quarterback you want (in 2023). It’s best to go with Ridder so you kind of have an idea of what you have in him. If he plays really well and you still want to draft a quarterback, you can do that and you might have trade value with Ridder."

"The trait that stood out to me most with Ridder was how aggressive he was in terms of big-game hunting,” Nguyen said. “He wasn’t satisfied just with checkdowns or quickly going through his progressions. He let the deeper throws develop, and he would try to manipulate defenses with his eyes to try to open up big plays down the field. I think a big part of Smith’s offense is taking heavy play-action shots and going deep. I think Ridder will be patient enough to let some of those deeper routes develop and then throw them if they’re open.”

"Ridder averaged 545 rushing yards per season at Cincinnati in addition to throwing for 10,239 yards, 87 touchdowns and 28 interceptions. He was 44-6 as a starter in four years, winning the third-most games in FBS history. The Falcons actively scouted Ridder the last two seasons, assistant director for college scouting Dwaune Jones said.

“What he did for that Cincinnati Bearcat team was something special,” Jones said. “Winning is contagious, and Desmond Ridder is a winner. It permeates the whole building. He’s a guy who is going to command the whole locker room. He’s going to demand respect as well. A guy like that, he is going to do his absolute best to hit his ceiling. I think Coach (Smith) has a brilliant plan for him. The sky is the limit for the kid.”

He’s pretty accurate throughout the game, but his misses just look bad,” Nguyen said. “I think it’s similar to Dak Prescott. Dak will look like he’s on for 15 throws in a row and then that 16th throw looks really ugly at times.”

Ridder worked with private quarterbacks coach Jordan Palmer between his junior and senior seasons to improve his accuracy, and the work seems to have paid off. His “catchable pass rate” on passes 20 or more yards down the field was 81.5 percent, according to a study by The Ringer. That was seven percentage points higher than the second-place Pickett.

There's more interesting points in the article (I have a few guest passes if anyone is interested)

https://theathletic.com/3301780/2022/05/10/falcons-desmond-ridder?source=user-shared-article

The kid is a winner. Let's get him out there and win.

This coaching staff is confident. They were confident enough to draft a TE at 4. They were confident enough to trade Julio and then trade Matt. They are confident to stick with Mayfield. They think they can win now. I don't doubt it. If Ridder is that guy then they are going with him. It's not like the last Falcons rookie QB didn't work out. 

1 hour ago, BroadwayBlueBleeder said:

Just going to post the parts I found interesting

"You have a very short time to decide what you want to do,” Nguyen said. “There are going to be all these good quarterbacks (in 2023), and you don’t want to be in a situation where you have no idea what you have in Desmond Ridder because you started Marcus Mariota. Mariota is good enough to win you seven games if he stays healthy and maybe he gets you out of that range where you can get the quarterback you want (in 2023). It’s best to go with Ridder so you kind of have an idea of what you have in him. If he plays really well and you still want to draft a quarterback, you can do that and you might have trade value with Ridder."

Great point and spot on.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

@Knight of God I think we made the right call

🤣🤣🤣 Nah I need my steak and burgers. Yeah this dude would be a huge distraction with those antics...what's wrong with people? Generation Why...🤣🤣🤣

J/k...or not 

17 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

🤣🤣🤣 Nah I need my steak and burgers. Yeah this dude would be a huge distraction with those antics...what's wrong with people? Generation Why...🤣🤣🤣

J/k...or not 

yeah let him leave them alone, more for those of us with common sense......

with moderation of course, and no, I don't mean I want VT and JD coming to watch me eat  ;)

58 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

@Knight of God I think we made the right call

Couldn't imagine a life without burgers. Steak...meh. I will die on the hill that it's one of the most overrated foods out there. Even if it's a perfectly cooked, medium rare filet that's seared and basted with butter and garlic. It's not that I don't like it, I just don't think it's anything special or that great. 

It is hard to argue with the idea of starting him.

Yeah you want him to earn it....but if everything that has been said about him is true...then you have to think that he will do enough to say that it was earned.

If he does not play well enough then you role into 2023 with the defined goal of getting a QB.

If he does play well enough then you open yourself up to the possibility of other positions like RT if McGary isn't resigned or another WR since the WR room is very thin still and will likely remain so in 2023 

Or they could target a first round defender.

Knowing what you have at QB is going to be the key to the offseason.

25 minutes ago, Jesus said:

I'm perfectly fine without red meat. It's alright but I don't crave it. I'd go vegan and be perfectly happy except I like eggs and fish too much. Ironically, I don't care for fish eggs. 

if you can drive past a Texas Roadhouse and not crave a steak, there's something terribly wrong with you, you need to get checked ASAP

:lol: