2022 Offseason Look Ahead: Draft/Free Agency/Trades etc

jayu70

With the dissapointing end to the season over let's look ahead to 2022-23.

Projected NBA Salary Cap is $122 million with the Luxury Tax at $149 million.

*Guaranteed Salaries for 2022-23 total $146.6 million. By waiving Gallo, we'd be at $130.1 million.

Screenshot_20220430-092153_Samsung Internet.jpg

*Gallo is only guaranteed for $5 mil if waived by June 29th.

Free Agents and their Capholds:

Screenshot_20220430-092215_Samsung Internet.jpg

We are slotted to pick #16 and #44 in the 2022 Draft.

Edited by jayu70

• jayu70 changed the title to 2022 Offseason Look Ahead: Draft/Free Agency/Trades etc

I'm really hoping that last year was a 2 step back approach for a giant leap forward. Schlenk and company have some work to do.

I was a fan of standing pat and seeing if our guys could repeat the success of their run. Didn't really happen.

Definitely need another consistent scorer.  Have to improve defensively on the perimeter.  Think we need to get bigger and more physically inside. Cooper needs to be able to backup Trae!  Rebounding was a big killer as well.  I would move Gallo and keep Delon!

3 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

If he shows that same tenacity he had against us, a few more times these playoffs.. he’s gonna be a much richer man soon. 

He's only played 96 games total over the last four years. No more than 36 games in a season since 2017-2018. I think he's way too injury-prone for anyone to give him more than a modest 1 or 2-year deal. If he proves he can stay healthy during the length of that contract, he may be able to get one last big payday after that. 

8 hours ago, Expert Poster said:

He's only played 96 games total over the last four years. No more than 36 games in a season since 2017-2018. I think he's way too injury-prone for anyone to give him more than a modest 1 or 2-year deal. If he proves he can stay healthy during the length of that contract, he may be able to get one last big payday after that. 

He looked pretty good last night. If he keeps it up, someone will come a knocking. 

5 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

He looked pretty good last night. If he keeps it up, someone will come a knocking. 

Possibly, but I wouldn't want to be that team. Paying big money to a player averaging 24 games a season during the time Trae has been in the league would be irresponsible. 

1 hour ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Hawks have to make a strong push for Lavine in free agency. 

Would have to be a sign-and-trade due to our cap situation (or it would have to be preceded by other trades to create the space), but yeah. He should be a prime target. Sucks that Gallo's contract becomes guaranteed prior to the date when trades can be completed. 

Zion is probably no longer an option, but the Hawks should still gauge the Pels' interest. 

Wouldn't be a splash move, but Jalen Brunson wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. I was really impressed with how he looked in Utah series, particularly in the games without Luka. He absolutely abused Donovan Mitchell. He'd provide another strong shot creator and ballhandler, and he holds up well on the defensive end. I especially like that he's already used to playing alongside another primary ballhandler, so it wouldn't be a huge adjustment for him. All that said, if he is looking for a bigger role than he currently has then he might not be thrilled by the idea. 

This would be a gamble, given all the issues surrounding Simmons... but it's also tempting. If the Hawks can get him without having to give up Hunter or Collins, it solves a lot of the problems offensively and defensively. Gives them a second playmaker who can allow Trae to play off the ball more, a la Draymond/Steph (though probably not to that extreme) and an elite defender who can guard all five positions. And since JC can play inside and outside, there wouldn't be the same spacing issues you'd have with trying to pair Capela and Simmons together. 

Ben's trade value has never been lower, so there's a crazy sort of logic to it--we go for the higher caliber player who has had some availability issues the past year while the Nets get the sure thing in Capela and a complementary player in Bogi. 

13 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

This would be a gamble, given all the issues surrounding Simmons... but it's also tempting. If the Hawks can get him without having to give up Hunter or Collins, it solves a lot of the problems offensively and defensively. Gives them a second playmaker who can allow Trae to play off the ball more, a la Draymond/Steph (though probably not to that extreme) and an elite defender who can guard all five positions. And since JC can play inside and outside, there wouldn't be the same spacing issues you'd have with trying to pair Capela and Simmons together. 

Ben's trade value has never been lower, so there's a crazy sort of logic to it--we go for the higher caliber player who has had some availability issues the past year while the Nets get the sure thing in Capela and a complementary player in Bogi. 

The problem is Simmons really isn’t a C. We’d still have OO but even tho I like him, he’s very much undersized for the C position as well. Giving up CC and Bogi plus the 16th overall pick isn’t too much to give up, but personally I just don’t think trading for Simmons is a great answer for the Hawks problems.

3 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

The problem is Simmons really isn’t a C. We’d still have OO but even tho I like him, he’s very much undersized for the C position as well. Giving up CC and Bogi plus the 16th overall pick isn’t too much to give up, but personally I just don’t think trading for Simmons is a great answer for the Hawks problems.

You're right that he's not a true center, but I think the Draymond comp is a good one in that regard. He was rarely asked to play center in Philly because they had Embiid and Doc is too old school to really play small ball (which is ironically part of what's hurting them in their series with the Heat, since playing small is really their only chance without Embiid, yet he refuses to do it for very long). Conversely, the Warriors will frequently play Draymond at center, understanding the trade-off. Same with Boston, who regularly play guys like Horford and Robert Williams, who can both play center and have for a good portion of their careers, but are only 6'9. And in Horford's case, his skill set is really more that of a PF. 

Simmons is around 6'10/6'11 and can hold up well defensively anywhere on the court. A lot of NBA analysts way more knowledgeable than me have been saying for the last couple years that Simmons really needs to be a small ball center to be utilized most effectively. He's the second best passer in the league for a player that tall (behind Jokic) and could work wonders as an outlet valve for pressure on Trae. Obviously his shooting threat is even more minimal than Draymond's, but he can get to the rim more effectively, and he would be the best cutter on the team by a country mile. Trae and him could do wonders in the pick-and-roll, as well. 

I honestly think he could thrive alongside Trae and JC more so than in just about any other situation out there. My only real concern would be where his head is at. He's clearly got some issues that could derail his future prospects, and I think his passion for the game is a serious question. The fact that his shot has only gotten worse over the years is also a red flag. That's why I'm only doing the deal if JC, Hunter, and and OO are all left out of it. 

7 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Please no to Simmons. Don't want that attitude anywhere near this team.

I hear ya. This is a reasonable take. If such a trade were even possible, Schlenk would have to decide if his on-court value outweighs the other stuff. I think there are reasonable arguments both ways. Personally, I'd still find him more appealing than someone like Donovan Mitchell (whose attitude issues fly more under the radar), just because I think the on-court fit would be doomed from the start with Mitchell. 

19 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

You're right that he's not a true center, but I think the Draymond comp is a good one in that regard. He was rarely asked to play center in Philly because they had Embiid and Doc is too old school to really play small ball (which is ironically part of what's hurting them in their series with the Heat, since playing small is really their only chance without Embiid, yet he refuses to do it for very long).

I should add that he also didn't play much center because they needed him more at PG lol. That's also a big part of what made his lack of shooting so glaring. There are very few starting PGs in today's NBA who don't have a reliable jump shot. Ja is in that category, but he's so unbelievably good at attacking the paint that it doesn't hinder him much.